Oppo PM-2 Planar Magnetic Headphones Overview

• Thread starter Karen Molinares
  • Start date
K

Karen Molinares

Audioholics Social Media Coordinator
Oppo has recently released a second set of headphones known as the PM-2.

Surely you have heard of the Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones because of their great sound quality and their ability to play cleanly and clearly as well as their light weight making them perfect for long nights of listening to music. However, the PM-1s price of $1,099 can be important decision factor against good sound quality.

Oppo Headphone-PM-2_sideview2.png

Now with the Oppo PM-2 Planar Magnetic Headphones priced at $699, price is no longer a decision factor over choosing good sound quality. The PM-2s share the following features with the PM-1s: the driver, aluminum frame, removable earpad and cable design, and rotating earcups.
Oppo Headphone-PM-2-Image3.png Oppo Headphone-PM-2-Image1.png Oppo Headphone-PM-2-SelvedgeDenimCarryingCase.png

So now you ask, what makes the price difference? Below is a list of the differences between the two:

Oppo PM1 vs PM2 copy.jpg

Now that we have mentioned the differences between the two, which one would you purchase? The Oppo PM-1s or the Oppo PM-2s?​

Last edited by a moderator:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If I had to choose between the 2, I would pick the cheaper one. But would I buy them? Hard to say as I haven't heard those headphones and 700$ is still plenty for headphones. Would be really nice to directly compare those for example with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT990 and see how they do in sound and comfort comparison.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Of course there are always audiophiles who think that's a good deal but I think for most people that's still way too much for just a pair of headphone. I would like to see prices below $499, hopefully Oppo is still working on more affordable models. I have the HA-1 now, just waiting for a PM-3 or even PM-5.:D

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Don't forget that on top of the cost of the headphones you'll need an amp. But of course one would assume that someone looking at a $700 headphone probably already has amping options.

As far as price...$700 is a lot of money for headphones. They'd have to be spectacular before I'd look twice. That said, I have a pair of $600+ headphones though I paid a bit less than that for them used. And IMO, they are spectacular. But I wouldn't have paid full price for them.

Last edited:
K

Karen Molinares

Audioholics Social Media Coordinator
Agree, hopefully the upcoming PM 3s will do. I saw some pictures from CANJAM2014 which revealed the PM3s. I have not seen any news on pricing of them or much else yet.

Of course there are always audiophiles who think that's a good deal but I think for most people that's still way too much for just a pair of headphone. I would like to see prices below $499, hopefully Oppo is still working on more affordable models. I have the HA-1 now, just waiting for a PM-3 or even PM-5.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Don't forget that on top of the cost of the headphones you'll need an amp. But of course one would assume that someone looking at a $700 headphone probably already has amping options.

As far as price...$700 is a lot of money for headphones. They'd have to be spectacular before I'd look twice. That said, I have a pair of $600+ headphones though I paid a bit less than that for them used. And IMO, they are spectacular. But I wouldn't have paid full price for them.
Well, the PM1s are more than that and they DO sound amazing. Not so amazing I'd really drop that kind of cash on them still :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
While waiting, I have been enjoying the SQ of the HA-1 using Fobar2000. This little thing sounds amazing. I hardly use my 105 now.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
While waiting, I have been enjoying the SQ of the HA-1 using Fobar2000. This little thing sounds amazing. I hardly use my 105 now.
Really? Then give it to me!

DJ

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Now I would like to see direct comparison between PM-1 and PM-3 with build and sound quality. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis