Oppo 970HD - quick impressions

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I decided against the HD-A2 even with the 8 free disc deal for $299, but I did want to try out an upscaling player, so I picked up the 970. Comparing it to the PS3, the PS3 actually looks ever so slightly better than the 970. The PS3 has better color and is slightly sharper image particularly with video based material, but the 970 is very close otherwise and they are almost identical with film based material. It is clearly not as good as BluRay, but it is a better image than my Denon 2900. I tried 2ch SACD and I was very surprised that this player actually sounds very good. For the price, I am quite impressed with this player.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
You didn't happen to do the HD over component hack for the 970 did you?

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Hi Garcia,

congrats on your purchase. Let me tell you that I've also got an Oppo (981) quite recently.

BTW, my Pio 696 also upscales (up to 1080i), while the Oppo goes 1080p.

Another advantage of the 981 is the SACD / DVD-A thru HDMI (version 1.1 onwards). For SACD with the Pio, only thru analog cables.

Soundwise, both are similars, with a slight advantage for the Pio, IMO.

Videowise, they're both similars. Not sure, but I suspect that the Faroudja scalers are present on both and maybe that's the reason why they both perform so darn good.

Hope you enjoy your new toy...
Cheers!

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I agree with you as to image qualtiy vs the Denon2900. While my 2900 was being repaired (for the second time for the same problem) I bought the Oppo 970 and was so pleased that the Denon never made it back into the rack. Sound quality with SACD and DVD-A was close enough to the same for me. Great little player all around and if/when it dies it's virtually disposable.

Mort

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You didn't happen to do the HD over component hack for the 970 did you?
No I am not going to touch it during the first 30 days, since I can still return it during that time. I picked up a switch and use it via HDMI right now, since I have only one input on the TV at the moment. I have no HDMI on my receiver either, thus the switch, so I am not able to do hires over HDMI at this time.

The 2900 will probably become my audio player and I will use the 970 for video other than Blu-Ray, though once I get a receiver with HDMI, that may change too. Not sure if the TV or the receiver will be changed first...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis