Oppo 103 VS PS4 Pro ?

A

AudioHolicsGuest

Audiophyte
Hey Guys.

I currently own an OPPO 103 DVD Player. i recently got an 4K TV. i usually use my OPPO for playing audio CD'S and some movies. i don't have any gaming console i was thinking of trading-in my OPPO and buy PS4 pro which plays Blu rays & Audio CD'S. Right now i pass all the audio from OPPO on HDMI and i don't use any analog connections. Keeping this in mind if i use PS4 pro to play audio CD'S over HDMI will i see any difference in audio quality similarly with Blu ray discs on PS4. i know Digital audio over HDMI should be same across all devices but want to know from you guys. will i loose anything if i trade-in OPPO and Buy PS4 in terms of audio/video quality

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey Guys.

I currently own an OPPO 103 DVD Player. i recently got an 4K TV. i usually use my OPPO for playing audio CD'S and some movies. i don't have any gaming console i was thinking of trading-in my OPPO and buy PS4 pro which plays Blu rays & Audio CD'S. Right now i pass all the audio from OPPO on HDMI and i don't use any analog connections. Keeping this in mind if i use PS4 pro to play audio CD'S over HDMI will i see any difference in audio quality similarly with Blu ray discs on PS4. i know Digital audio over HDMI should be same across all devices but want to know from you guys. will i loose anything if i trade-in OPPO and Buy PS4 in terms of audio/video quality
Welcome.

Unless that PS4 pro has 4K capability and you will buy 4k material, it is not worth switching.
Seriously doubt you will hear a difference, unless it is a subconscious event to your brain that you do.

A

AudioHolicsGuest

Audiophyte
Welcome.

Unless that PS4 pro has 4K capability and you will buy 4k material, it is not worth switching.
Seriously doubt you will hear a difference, unless it is a subconscious event to your brain that you do.
Reason i m planning for a switch is just to own PS4 pro for playing games and yes PS4 pro support 4k thru netflix and youtube streaming but doesn't have an UHD Bluray player. it just plays normal blu ray. so will i notice any difference in Video/Audio quality compared to OPPO. I don't want to own both if both display same quality in audio/video

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In quality of sound or video I don't expect you going to see any difference, however oppo drive mechanics are likely to surpass one's on PS4 pro - probably less noise from spinning disk and longer lifespan
It really depends how often you use physical disks...

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Not much difference in terms of video or audio IMO, but where I ran into trouble with the PS4 is not being able to control via IP or infrared. I think Harmony has a work around, but I use Simple Controls for my setup so wouldn't work as I would have to use the Dualshock controller which is a bit of a pain.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as they're functioning properly they're just transports as you're using them so if they're exporting the bits correctly there would be no difference in picture or sound quality. As was said, the PS4 may be noisier but I don't know about the build quality/longevity comment for a PS4, I've used a PS3 for my bluray/disc player in my main system for over 5 years now and it's been very reliable.

FWIW I use the Logitech infrared/bluetooth converter so I can use an infrared remote and not the gaming controller. Is there a similar flexibility for the PS4 built in or do you still need a separate unit like I use?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
It may be subjective, there is no measurement I can provide, but I definitely did notice a difference between the Oppo 103 vs the PS4 in blu ray playback picture quality.

I sold the PS4 and got the Pro for the 4K feature, but I still am sticking to my Oppo

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I use the Logitech infrared/bluetooth converter so I can use an infrared remote and not the gaming controller. Is there a similar flexibility for the PS4 built in or do you still need a separate unit like I use?
There is a Blu-ray remote for the PS3 and also for the PS4. No adapter needed.

IMO the PQ from the PS4 is quite good, but I still prefer my Oppo. I don't think the Pro will change that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Cos, @j_garcia so you're both saying the Oppo massages the video bits in some special way when it exports info via hdmi ? How about audio, is that something extraordinary in terms of the digital export as well?

I've got one of the bluetooth remotes for the PS3 but still prefer a Logitech Harmony remote to handle all the gear.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If using HDMI, audio should be identical AFAIK. Video processing however is the domain of the player and the Oppos tend to be better at it IMO. Still, it isn't like OMG this looks like 4K better, as in I have no real complaints about the capabilities of the PS4 (or PS3 for that matter) as a player. My PS3s are both sitting in the closet right now lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If using HDMI, audio should be identical AFAIK. Video processing however is the domain of the player and the Oppos tend to be better at it IMO. Still, it isn't like OMG this looks like 4K better, as in I have no real complaints about the capabilities of the PS4 (or PS3 for that matter) as a player. My PS3s are both sitting in the closet right now lol.
Wouldn't both audio and video be the same when exported via hdmi by various devices unless something is defective? What kind of processing can/does the Oppo do to video that it can't to audio?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Audio can be decoded in the player or in the receiver, and the default will usually be in the receiver. So it can make a difference, but not so much as video IMO. The decoding is different for video and is normally always handled on the player side. The Oppos are geared toward that sort of processing since that's their priority as compared to the Playstations, and they tend to do it better. Even the first generation Oppos were video powerhouses. I owned two or three of their earliest models (DVD) and they were all solid.

When you start talking about the analog audio of say the 105, there is a definite difference over the PS4. There is a noticeable difference between HDMI and analog even on the 105.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audio can be decoded in the player or in the receiver, and the default will usually be in the receiver. So it can make a difference, but not so much as video IMO. The decoding is different for video and is normally always handled on the player side. The Oppos are geared toward that sort of processing since that's their priority as compared to the Playstations, and they tend to do it better. Even the first generation Oppos were video powerhouses. I owned two or three of their earliest models (DVD) and they were all solid.

When you start talking about the analog audio of say the 105, there is a definite difference over the PS4. There is a noticeable difference between HDMI and analog even on the 105.
Ah, I've not used a bluray player with a video processor on board; didn't realize that was an option with the Oppo, thanks; had always read the hdmi output was equivalent even on the Oppos and thought only the Darbee thing added video processing to an Oppo. I let my display do the processing...is the processing in this player on the level of a good display's processor or would improve on that? I've never bothered with any of my avrs' video processing either as each time I did it wasn't an improvemet. I'm not much of a videophile, tho.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
@Cos, @j_garcia so you're both saying the Oppo massages the video bits in some special way when it exports info via hdmi ? How about audio, is that something extraordinary in terms of the digital export as well?

I've got one of the bluetooth remotes for the PS3 but still prefer a Logitech Harmony remote to handle all the gear.
Ah, I've not used a bluray player with a video processor on board; didn't realize that was an option with the Oppo, thanks; had always read the hdmi output was equivalent even on the Oppos and thought only the Darbee thing added video processing to an Oppo. I let my display do the processing...is the processing in this player on the level of a good display's processor or would improve on that? I've never bothered with any of my avrs' video processing either as each time I did it wasn't an improvemet. I'm not much of a videophile, tho.
maybe next time you will hold off the sarcastic comments then ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
maybe next time you will hold off the sarcastic comments then ;)
Sorry, what did you consider of what I said as sarcastic? Thought I was being fairly straightforward there...

Another question on the processing in the video processing in the Oppo, how extensive is the CMS?

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Hi guys,I have seen a huge change in picture quality between my dvda1ud and my PS3 and ps4 all running through my Avp pre/pro and a 1080i projector not 1080p.I have noticed that when comparing my video image from my dvda1ud to my PS3 and ps4 there is no comparison.The PS3 and ps4 both are washed out images compared to the dvda1ud and that is having all components running through the same pre/pro.This I know could be due to the projector that is displaying the image also.I have owned the oppo 105d for around 2 weeks and compared it to the PS3 and ps4 and noticed only little difference in video quality.I think it all matters to the degree of what the source is running through and I do believe some sources work better than others when paired with the same receiver or pre/pro.I think matching the hatch is more important that splitting hairs as the rest can take are of itself.I just thought I would get this off my chest as that is what I have found out to be the truth with what I have to run with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis