Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Whats everyone's opinion on me getting this "beater" Yamaha in the interim while I wait for the HDMI 1.3 units to make their stake in the market?

For those who don't know, I had a Denon 3805 which blew an amp, shipped it to get repaired, and was dropped via UPS. They gave me a nice check to replace the unit, but I've been without an AVR since November. I want to get something for surround now, but don't want to invest $1000 - $2000 in outdated technology right now.

Here's the unit I'm looking at to power my 5 Polk RTi series speakers. It seems like a decent deal that I should be able to unload at a $50 loss when I'm ready to upgrade to a higher end unit. Money's not an object to be honest, but I hate being without surround sound watching movies.

http://www.ubid.com/Yamaha_RX-N600BL_570W_6.1-Ch._Network_A/V_Home_Theater_Receiver/a10983954.html
Yamaha RX-N600BL 570W 6.1-Ch. Network A/V Home Theater Receiver

Here's one other more expensive option that I like:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR7400
MARANTZ SR7400 7.1 Home Theater Receiver 105W X 7ch | Accessories4less

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARZR6001
MARANTZ ZR6001 AV receiver SR5600 w/DaVed Technology NEW! | Accessories4less

or just a cheapo Marantz:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5300REF
MARANTZ SR-5300 6.1 Channels Receiver | Accessories4less

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the N600 seems to be a 559 with network functions ... I'm not familiar with the other units though ...

but it would seem that the N600 is WAY below the level of your 38 series Denon. are you sure you won't miss the denon's performance while waiting for the 1.3's?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Assuming you enjoyed the 3805, my guess is that you will be happier with the Marantz.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The 7400 will probably hold you over longer should you decide to hold off on an upgrade.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Whats everyone's opinion on me getting this "beater" Yamaha in the interim while I wait for the HDMI 1.3 units to make their stake in the market?

For those who don't know, I had a Denon 3805 which blew an amp, shipped it to get repaired, and was dropped via UPS. They gave me a nice check to replace the unit, but I've been without an AVR since November. I want to get something for surround now, but don't want to invest $1000 - $2000 in outdated technology right now.

Here's the unit I'm looking at to power my 5 Polk RTi series speakers. It seems like a decent deal that I should be able to unload at a $50 loss when I'm ready to upgrade to a higher end unit. Money's not an object to be honest, but I hate being without surround sound watching movies.
I am guessing you aren't looking for HDMI as a feature in the hold-over receiver? Unless you intend on using the network features of the 600 I would say no go on that, it isn't very cost effective. You could get the RX-V659, which has more power and more home theater geared type features than the NR-600.

Just as well, what is your reason for waiting for HDMI 1.3 to clear?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
So it sounds like the N600 is just a weak Yamaha with some fancy network connections. The 7400 may be a good bet. My only hangup with Marantz is that a buddy of mine purchased an 8400 and said it's only tone controls were bass and treble, while the Denon has an inboard eq capable of tweaking each channel. I've gotten lazy over the years, so if the Marantz sound good out of the box, I'd probably be fine with it.

My only reason for waiting for 1.3 is that it should be the final straw in the connection evolution. I know there are ways around 1.1 and 1.2, but it would be nice to have the processing in the AVR should BR or HD DVD drop drastically in price and not offer inboard processing (which I'm sure it will).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Since you asked for opinions, I'll state that my opinion is 'don't bother with a stop-gap solution'. You may or may not be able to turn around and sell whatever you buy for a small loss. More likely you will take a big loss if you can even sell whatever you buy in the first place (although there are those that don't know much about electronics and will give you $50 less than you paid for a used receiver).

If you MUST have HDMI 1.3 (for whatever reason) then just bite the bullet and wait until a brand you like offers the features you want. You'll be better off in the long run even though waiting sucks.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
You should consider one of the refurbished Yamaha RX-V1600 receivers. It should have comparable power to your old Denon and a few HDMI features.
http://www.ubid.com/Yamaha_RX-V1600_840_Watts_7.1_Ch._A/V_Home_Theater/a10983952.html
I looked at that one, but I think it's overpriced being refurbished, and having a weak warranty. They had the RX V2500's awhile back for $429 or so, which I thought was a better deal (but without HDMI). A friend of mine bought the 2500 from Ubid and it took a dump on him after the warranty expired. I'm a bit hesistant on the refurb'd Yammy's for that reason. If that unit was $329, I'd probably jump all over it. I've been watching the Onkyo 604 and 804's.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The saga continues

Well, since I last checked in, I found a Yammy 5890 on ebay from Dealtree for $267 shipped. They did a terrible job packing it, and of course it arrived DOA with major dents and two feets broken off. I just got notice they are refunding my entire purchase. I sent back the unit with pics of the box before I opened it.

Now that I've been without an AVR for almost 7 months, I'm thinking of just waiting for the Onkyo 805 to be released. It's almost too late for a cheap interim AVR. This has to be the most frustrating 7 months in my AV life. Keep in mind, my SVS Plus/2 shipped in December. I've been running it off my 37" LCD's sub out. Imagine the tiny LCD speakers trying to keep up with a Plus/2!

For my frustration, I think I'll reward myself with a HD DVD player and join Netflix and rent every HD DVD they have for the remainder of the year. :) Of course, I'll wait for my new AVR.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well, since I last checked in, I found a Yammy 5890 on ebay from Dealtree for $267 shipped. They did a terrible job packing it, and of course it arrived DOA with major dents and two feets broken off. I just got notice they are refunding my entire purchase. I sent back the unit with pics of the box before I opened it.

Now that I've been without an AVR for almost 7 months, I'm thinking of just waiting for the Onkyo 805 to be released. It's almost too late for a cheap interim AVR. This has to be the most frustrating 7 months in my AV life. Keep in mind, my SVS Plus/2 shipped in December. I've been running it off my 37" LCD's sub out. Imagine the tiny LCD speakers trying to keep up with a Plus/2!

For my frustration, I think I'll reward myself with a HD DVD player and join Netflix and rent every HD DVD they have for the remainder of the year. :) Of course, I'll wait for my new AVR.
That is unfortunate, you should have bought my Yamaha HTR-5890.:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

7 Month and no system? :( How do you stand it?

Yes, sounds like might as well get that 805. :D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
If you MUST have HDMI 1.3 (for whatever reason) then just bite the bullet and wait until a brand you like offers the features you want. You'll be better off in the long run even though waiting sucks.
Ditto,i dont know squat about HT but i know about buying gear & "interm gear" is a waste of cash & only make's me want the peice im waiting on even more.

I'd say wait it out till the exact peice you want becomes available.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What did you sell it for?
If I tell you, you will be frustrated. $260 or so. I had the remote, microphone, manual, and FM antenna. The unit was in very good condition, and never had any problems. You may be able to get one on Ebay for about that much.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
7 Month and no system? :( How do you stand it?

Yes, sounds like might as well get that 805. :D
It's not that hard with three young kids and a job that hasn't slowed down since the beginning of October.

I just heard from a buddy who owns an install co. He just emailed me today on his pricing on the Onkyo 805 for $695 plus shipping. What's nice about the Onkyo is that it's got a two year warranty. With his pricing, it's tempting to wait for the two models up from the 805 to come out, and see what his pricing is there. I think the msrp is $999, so he's getting ~ 30% off. If that's the case, a $2000 Onkyo would run me ~ $1400. Decisions, decisions.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Buckeye,

I wouldn't think twice and would stick with the Onkyo 605. BTW, you got a pretty good reason for that: it's a darn heavy AVR..:):D;):cool:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Buckeye,

I wouldn't think twice and would stick with the Onkyo 605. BTW, you got a pretty good reason for that: it's a darn heavy AVR..:):D;):cool:
Do you mean the 805? The 605 is pretty impressive as well.

I see a lot of guys have already ordered the 805 from JR and Onecall at AVS. They're all hopped up and excited about the arrival. 51lbs. is mammoth. I wonder what they added to that thing.

Did you know last years 804 only weighed 29.5lbs? That's a 72% increase in bulk - about what I put on since my high school days. :eek:

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
Buckeye: are you still interested in a Yamaha HTR5890????. I have one, well taken care of, with manual, microphone, remote even the original box. I'm planning on getting another receiver with HDMI but I have to get rid of this first or my wife will kill me. PM if you are interested.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It's not that hard with three young kids and a job that hasn't slowed down since the beginning of October.

I just heard from a buddy who owns an install co. He just emailed me today on his pricing on the Onkyo 805 for $695 plus shipping. What's nice about the Onkyo is that it's got a two year warranty. With his pricing, it's tempting to wait for the two models up from the 805 to come out, and see what his pricing is there. I think the msrp is $999, so he's getting ~ 30% off. If that's the case, a $2000 Onkyo would run me ~ $1400. Decisions, decisions.
If it isn't that hard this far, it should be a snap to wait until the other Onkyos come out and then at least you can make better choices as you will have more time to save and know the delivered prices. :D
Don't forget to add the price of electricity you saved all these months :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis