Opinions on Sennheiser HD555

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Very relaxed and bass heavy headphones. Certainly nice, but not worth it in my opinion. If you want sennheiser, try to find a used pair of HD580s. If you're willing to look at other brands, I'd recommend the Sony MDR-V6 (or MDR-7506) but ONLY if you have the ability to equalize them. Also check out AKG K501

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
I also had a pair of HD-580's. They were very comfortable and the sound was great. I have not had the need to replace them. They were from my apartment days.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I also have the HD 580s which I really, really like.

Edit: The HD580s are not very efficent and they need to be driven by a receiver or headphone amp. They sound muddy from a portable listening device in my experience.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nick250 said:
I also have the HD 580s which I really, really like.

Edit: The HD580s are not very efficent and they need to be driven by a receiver or headphone amp. They sound muddy from a portable listening device in my experience.
Not if your portable device has a 5 band EQ! woot!

SheepStar

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I use HD650s, but have purchased 555s and 595s for firends. The 555s are a great value IMO. They have goood bass, although not quite as tight as the 595s or 650s, a forward presentation and don't reaquire an amp. IMO, they perform very similarly to the 595s. I put the 555s high on my value recommendations.

C

Cotizi

Enthusiast
I highly recommend the HD555's, I upgraded to these last year from some HD497's and it was a huge difference. Definately not "bassy", any less bass and the headphones would seem to be lacking. Excellent choice for the price, no amp required, good deal all around.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis