Opinions on Bookshelf speakers

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
Need your expert opinions. I am shopping for two bookshelf sized speakers for my bedroom. On the wall opposite the bed is a 60 inch tv. Under the TV is a dresser. I would like to place the speakers on the ends of the dresser which would place them about 5 feet apart and just under the TV. They would be amped by an Onkyo 805 receiver. In addition to providing sound for the TV, I like listening to classical and jazz. They will be supplemented with a sub. Here are my requirements: Must be finished in real wood, cherry or rosewood, etc. to please wife, No bigger than 15h x 9w x 15 deep. Must sound really good placed on the dresser as there is no floorspace for stands. Speakers will be at ear height when I am prone in the bed. Room is about 20x20 with 10 foot ceiling. Budget is $2000. What are your suggestions?
Also, I have read that speakers sound better when on stands. Why is that? Shouldn't they sound just as good if they are placed on a piece of furniture?

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Dynaudio makes a series called Excite that is designed to be run on receivers. Excellent sound quality. A few nice veneers to choose from, well below your budget:

Dynaudio - All there is.

Review:
Dynaudio Excite X12 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

Keep them toward the edge of the cabinet and you should be fine. The main thing is you don't want reflections off the cabinet they are sitting on. If you feel the cabinet vibrating a lot you might benefit from something to 'decouple' the speaker (turn the vibrations into heat energy) - Auralex sells a lot of stuff like that... but, really, I don't think you'll need it.

You should probably start with those and then add a Dynaudio subwoofer. They make some wonderful compact subwoofers. Not huge on output, but excellent on sound quality. For your music tastes, I think Dynaudio is a perfect fit.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I am shopping for two bookshelf sized speakers for my bedroom. On the wall opposite the bed is a 60 inch tv. Under the TV is a dresser. I would like to place the speakers on the ends of the dresser which would place them about 5 feet apart and just under the TV. They would be amped by an Onkyo 805 receiver. In addition to providing sound for the TV, I like listening to classical and jazz. They will be supplemented with a sub. Here are my requirements: Must be finished in real wood, cherry or rosewood, etc. to please wife, no bigger than 15h x 9w x 15 deep. Must sound really good placed on the dresser as there is no floorspace for stands. Speakers will be at ear height when I am prone in the bed. Room is about 20x20 with 10 foot ceiling. Budget is $2000. What are your suggestions?
I strongly recommend Salk SongSurround Is. Although they are marketed as surround speakers for the Salk SongTowers, they make excellent speakers by themselves. I have a pair of essentially the same speakers, in cabinets I built, in my bedroom now. They will go down as low as 50 Hz, so using them with a sub is no problem.

They are 13"h × 8"w × 10"d, cost $895 per pair in standard veneers of curly cherry, curly walnut, maple, mahogany, oak, or painted black satin. Custom versions can also be ordered with virtually any veneer/finish combination you desire. Browse around the Salk Sound web site Galleries for examples of their finishes. If you want them to match furniture you now have, call Jim Salk. He is excellent at doing that.
Also, I have read that speakers sound better when on stands. Why is that? Shouldn't they sound just as good if they are placed on a piece of furniture?
The comparisons are usually made with small speakers on stands vs. bookshelves. Speakers on stands placed a bit away from walls behind them usually sounds better. In your case small speakers sitting on the front corners of a dresser, should be fine.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Outlaw Audio BLS
Outlaw Audio
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/bls.html

PSB Imagine B
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760IMGNBC/PSB-Imagine-B-Dark-Cherry.html?tp=186

If Rosenut is ok - Monitor Audio Silver RX1
They are good
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRSRX1 PBLKOAK

The KEF R300 looks good, and also comes in Rosewood
http://www.kefdirect.com/r-300-bookshelf.html

Speakers sound better on stands - however, they will still
sound decent where you are placing them. At least, stick
some bumper feet under the ones you choose.

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I strongly recommend Salk SongSurround Is. Although they are marketed as surround speakers for the Salk SongTowers, they make excellent speakers by themselves. I have a pair of essentially the same speakers, in cabinets I built, in my bedroom now. They will go down as low as 50 Hz, so using them with a sub is no problem.

They are 13"h × 8"w × 10"d, cost $895 per pair in standard veneers of curly cherry, curly walnut, maple, mahogany, oak, or painted black satin. Custom versions can also be ordered with virtually any veneer/finish combination you desire. Browse around the Salk Sound web site Galleries for examples of their finishes. If you want them to match furniture you now have, call Jim Salk. He is excellent at doing that.
The comparisons are usually made with small speakers on stands vs. bookshelves. Speakers on stands placed a bit away from walls behind them usually sounds better. In your case small speakers sitting on the front corners of a dresser, should be fine.
I second this recommendation. The SongSurrounds are better than the Ascend Sierra-1's IMO and will serve your bedroom system well.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
When looking at the Sierra-1's, also pay attention to the NrT upgrade, and decide what might be better for you.

Since you are using a subwoofer, the SalkSurround is a good choice. Their top end is more extended and forward than the standard Sierra-1, the NrT tweeter should negate that, but I have not heard that version side by side Salk. The Sierra-1 is a bit more dynamic, and bass is is extends a bit deeper and is punchier, IMO. I have a friend that has both standard Sierra and the Salk, he can't get rid of either of them....

The KEF R300 mentioned by zieg is also interesting. I have not heard it, but the two KEF bookshelfs I have heard I have liked a lot.

I would also have a looked at the used market and look for a pair of Usher Be-718's. An excellent speaker, but take a bit of power to drive. They should be in your price range, as well as the newer version with the DMD tweeter.

I also agree, with whatever you get, put them on stands. It does make a difference.

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the inputs. Has any one auditioned the LSA 1 Statement from Living Sounds Audio or MMMICROONE from Evolution Acoustics? Reviews sound interesting.

S

somesnapper

Audioholic Intern
The Ascend Sierra-1's NRT looks like a great little speaker.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Thanks for the inputs. Has any one auditioned the LSA 1 Statement from Living Sounds Audio or MMMICROONE from Evolution Acoustics? Reviews sound interesting.
No, but I've heard other speakers from Evolution Acoustics and they were really good. Definitely audition the Micro one if you can.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
More input...

The Outlaw BLS that zieg mentioned, I had forgot that I had those in my room for a while too. Also great little speaker. Not as dynamic as the Salk or Ascend, but also smaller.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think the salk surrounds would be a great option.

Dennis has said he will still be making the monitors for now (philharmonic), so those would be an excellent choice.

Also for you consideration:

CAOW1 - home

Essentially the same as the as each other, but with slightly different drivers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dennis has said he will still be making the monitors for now (philharmonic)...
You think he's getting too many orders now for Phil2 / Phil3? :D

Hard to keep up demands when you are a one-man operation.:eek:

If the demands for the 3 towers (TTT:D) pick up significantly, bye bye monitors. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think the salk surrounds would be a great option…

Also for you consideration:

CAOW1 - home

Essentially the same as the as each other, but with slightly different drivers.
The CAOW1, either the Salk-built version or the DIY version are nearly identical to the Salk SongSurround I. The tweeters are the same, the woofers are nearly the same (SEAS CA15 or ER15), and the crossovers are nearly the same - all designed by Dennis Murphy. The CAOW1 has 2nd order crossover slopes, and the Salk SongSurround has 4th order crossover slopes. I find it difficult to hear the difference.

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all your suggestions. I looked at each one and they all look great for my bedroom. The CAOW1 is very appealing, but my greatest fear is I will get hooked on them and never get out of bed, or worse, want to change out my home theater.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for all your suggestions. I looked at each one and they all look great for my bedroom. The CAOW1 is very appealing, but my greatest fear is I will get hooked on them and never get out of bed, or worse, want to change out my home theater.
Nothing wrong with that!!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You think he's getting too many orders now for Phil2 / Phil3? :D

Hard to keep up demands when you are a one-man operation.:eek:

If the demands for the 3 towers (TTT:D) pick up significantly, bye bye monitors. :D
You started it :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis