G

gs274

Enthusiast
As you can see this is my first post...however, I have spent quite a while reading these forums for research prior to my a/v purchases. Now, i'm here to get some opinions on a purchase i'm currently looking at.

I recently got an offer to purchase a new Marantz SR7001 receiver and a pair of Paradigm Studio 40v4's for a grand total of $2289. Both items are from a local authorized reseller and are new with full warranty. It's a good deal I know, but is it a GREAT deal. This will go into running a 42" 1080p LCD with HD DVR, Blu-Ray DVD Player and a Upconverting DVD/SACD player in a fairly small room.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
JMO, but you don't need a receiver like that to drive just 2 Paradigms. It's "OverKill". Unless you need the features that come with it. Or unless you'll be adding on later.

G

gs274

Enthusiast
I'm looking at something like that for later expansion...say 5 years when the kids are gone that setup moves into the family room and I'll begin adding zones onto it as well as speakers and such.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I would purchase a less expensive receiver and waite for the format wars to settle down. Then jump into a big dog receiver. JMO :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm looking at something like that for later expansion...say 5 years when the kids are gone that setup moves into the family room and I'll begin adding zones onto it as well as speakers and such.
This is the way I would consider the issue. When you're ready to upgrade, the receiver will be one thing you won't have to worry about. Add some speakers and move into the family room. Who knows, you may decide to move it into the family room next year, or next month or upgrade to 5.1 surround just because you can.

Overkill is not always a bad thing. Sometimes, you just need to grow into your overkill zone and then things are "right-sized".

G

gs274

Enthusiast
Ok, so I broke down, went and brought it home last night...WOW! This is definitely one of those times you can tell when the result are worth the cost. The sound is fantastic and the expandablity of this receiver is great.

Thanks for the input.

it may look tight but the shop I purchased from had me space the speakers where they are and they sound great.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
JMO, but you don't need a receiver like that to drive just 2 Paradigms. It's "OverKill". Unless you need the features that come with it. Or unless you'll be adding on later.
Overkill in terms of features? Right in the ballpark in terms of power, definitely not overkill. I think it is a good buy, and Marantz mates well with the Studios IMO.

Is it just me or do they look way too low? They should be on the S-26" stands minimum, IMO, unless you have a lowrider of a couch.

G

gs274

Enthusiast
Those stands put the speakers 19" off the floor...they are the stands the shop I bought from uses to demo the speakers. Love the ones that Paradigm shows the speakers on but not at $350 a set. Whats the rule of thumb for placing the speaker height.

D

duncan618

Audioholic Intern
Ok, so I broke down, went and brought it home last night...WOW! This is definitely one of those times you can tell when the result are worth the cost. The sound is fantastic and the expandablity of this receiver is great.

Thanks for the input.

it may look tight but the shop I purchased from had me space the speakers where they are and they sound great.
just fyi but from a cable guy who knows, I'd probably move the cable box to the top position so it can breathe (they get damn hot and puke if they can't breathe) Otherwise looks sweet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis