Opinion needed Definitive Technology

M

Mulley2472

Enthusiast
i am looking at maybe purchasing a surround sound system and am taking the forums advice at buying the speakers first and then worry about the av. What is the opinion of definitive technology speakers? I was looking at the def tech pro cinema 600 or the 800. Not sure as there is a big price difference. It looks the system has gotten good reviews. But I am new to all of this and would like some opinions. Thank you

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have not heard the pro cinema line.

But, I do have the SM 350. Those are pretty good speakers that I would recommend. They can be found for a little less than $200 a pair. Also, the SM 450 can be found for a bit over $200 a pair. I will recommend either of those.

Be aware, Def Tech published specs are completely bogus! Don't trust any numbers that they publish. Instead, look for independent reviews with measurements.

If it's small speakers that you are looking for, I would be inclined to look deeper into these. I have not heard them, I'm just saying that if I ever wanted small, then I would certainly put these on my list of considerations:
http://emptek.com/compacthts.php

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Mulley,
My first upgrade (of many) beyond a Sony HTiAB system was to step up to Def Tech 800 speakers. These were eventually moved to surround duty and replaced by Def Tech 1000s up front. I liked both and each was an improvement over the previous set-up. However, overtime I found the 800s inadequate to properly fill a room size of 18' x 13' x 8' ceilings (carpeted floor and a couple fluffy couches).
Therefore, I would recommend the 1000s as a minimum, unless your room is quite a bit smaller than the one above.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis