Onkyo vs Yamaha? Entry level

R

Rion121

Enthusiast
Hey I'm looking to jump into the whole avr system with a good Htib but having problems choosing one:confused:. I've checked around alot and finally decided on a couple different ones in my price range. Btw my spending limit is $400 and MAX $450. Also if anyone has other suggestions besides these models please let me know and I'll check them out. I do want somehting thats gonna last me awhile, reason of buying an avr system.

(EDIT) I wanna add that the prices for each of these are $400 on amazon. That giving my reason for the spending limit. I also would like to hook my laptop to the avr to stream music and movies as well.

Here are the ones I'm looking at:
  1. Onkyo HT S5500 (7.1)
  2. Yamaha YHT 595BL (5.1)
  3. Yamaha YHT 497 (5.1)

Usage will probably be pretty even split, something like:
25% Movies
25% Music
25% Tv
25% Ps3

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
None of them come with particularly good speakers but you may want to consider a factory refurbished Onkyo HT-S7409 from Accessories For Less. That gives you a decent enough receiver to build on should you decide to upgrade the speakers and subwoofer down the road.

You could also look at a Denon/Boston setup but I haven't heard one.

R

Rion121

Enthusiast
I checked the Denon setup and I know they are supposedly better receivers but the ones around my price range seemed to be gettin older. I know I cant ask for much but wanted a newer avr. Bought the 7409 as stated in the other thread. thanks again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis