Onkyo Volume problem

J

junsta17

Enthusiast
Hello,

I purchased a refurbished Onkyo TX-SV545 on ebay, however when I set it up with my speakers, the volume immediately blasts at the highest level. I tried to lower it with the remote but to no avail. I'm wondering if I'm using the correct wire gauge. I'm using a 12-gauge wire for my speakers, which has an impedance of 8 ohms. Can anyone help this newbie?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
100% guaranteed it has nothing to do with the speaker wire.

It may be as simple as oxidation on the contacts for the volume knob. If you have the model number right, that receiver is about ten years old. You can try something like Caig De-oxit or similar contact cleaners.

J

junsta17

Enthusiast
I have no experience in opening up receivers, is this something I can handle myself?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

I purchased a refurbished Onkyo TX-SV545 on ebay, however when I set it up with my speakers, the volume immediately blasts at the highest level. I tried to lower it with the remote but to no avail. I'm wondering if I'm using the correct wire gauge. I'm using a 12-gauge wire for my speakers, which has an impedance of 8 ohms. Can anyone help this newbie?
That's probably why it was on eBay. I personally don't purchase anything on eBay that I would not be able to service.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I have no experience in opening up receivers, is this something I can handle myself?
You don't have to open up the receiver. The Deoxit type contact cleaners are just sprayed around the knob and then you work the knob back and forth. The knob may even pull straight off like the knobs on the stove.

It could be a bad potentiometer or rheostat or whatever its called given the age of the receiver but a few bucks for a can of contact cleaner is what I'd try first before resorting to a potentially expensive repair.

I used to own an SV-525 (still going strong in my sister's garage) and its a good receiver, although dated now. Just don't throw too much money at the problem.

J

junsta17

Enthusiast
Bought replacement receiver

I gave up on fixing my used onkyo tx-SV545..and purchased a used
Integra dtr 6.2 for $100. Do you guys know how much this receiver retails for
now?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
now?
Now? i doubt it does;) it is an older unit

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

now?
Since it is not usable "Sweet Fanny Adams."

You should have a service tech look at it. The unit likely has a digital volume control, so the fix may not be easy or cheap, but you never know. The days of analog potentiometers are long gone.

J

junsta17

Enthusiast
TLS Guy,

I just saw your insane setup in your basement...I am beyond envy. How much is your electricity bill?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy,

I just saw your insane setup in your basement...I am beyond envy. How much is your electricity bill?
Well it's not in the basement, it on the fourth level of a five level home. I had my gear in the basement for thirty six years. Now I have windows, and views of Benedict Lake and the Paul Bunyan Forrest. There is another system on the first level, which is below ground at the back, but not the front.

It is hard to separate out the electricity running costs. This is a cold area and the primary source of heat is electric, backed up by LP gas and wood. Also I have 1200 sq. ft of shop space with a large compressor, welders and plasma cutter, and other equipment. All the equipment is not running at once. As far as this studio is concerned, the major electricity user is the amp case, followed by the audio workstation and the plasma screen.

If it's insane then I plead a very happy insanity.

J

junsta17

Enthusiast
Well it's not in the basement, it on the fourth level of a five level home. I had my gear in the basement for thirty six years. Now I have windows, and views of Benedict Lake and the Paul Bunyan Forrest. There is another system on the first level, which is below ground at the back, but not the front.

It is hard to separate out the electricity running costs. This is a cold area and the primary source of heat is electric, backed up by LP gas and wood. Also I have 1200 sq. ft of shop space with a large compressor, welders and plasma cutter, and other equipment. All the equipment is not running at once. As far as this studio is concerned, the major electricity user is the amp case, followed by the audio workstation and the plasma screen.

If it's insane then I plead a very happy insanity.
LOL....wow that is truly awesome...what do you use your workshop for?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

LOL....wow that is truly awesome...what do you use your workshop for?
The shop houses two tractors, a 1948 John Deere Model A with farmhand front end loader, a 1958 John Deere 420 and a 1948 Willys CJ 2A JEEP.

The Model A has a grader fabricated in the shop to maintain the roads, and keep them clear of snow in the winter. The 420 is a utility tractor the is used for mowing with a 72 inch woods rear PTO mowing deck. There is also a No 5 JD sickle mower, restored here, for the grass at the lake edge. There is a fabricated sprayer for weeds, and now and again Mosquito control. This tractor with power steering and good hydraulics is also very useful for moving boats and trailers about.

The shop has central compressed air and ceiling lines, both oiled and dry, drill press, welder and plasma cutter. There is a good selection of air and hand tools, as well as wood working equipment. There are various pieces of ignition test equipment, especially relating to outboard motors.

The shop has a huge number of uses, including maritime restoration, wood and steel fabrication. Also the shop is equipped for a variety of engine repair.

At a like there are variety of things to be maintained and fabricated, for myself and neighbors. There are just too many uses to mention. This year we have high water after all the snows and also water has had to be held back at the federal dam on the Leech Lake river, because of Mississippi flooding. When the dock and lift crew came a number of the dock poles were not long enough. So the feet were removed from the old poles with the air hammer and new poles promptly cut and drilled. Without a well equipped shop that job of getting the feet of the old poles would be next to impossible.

The largest job in the shop was the complete restoration of a 1959 O'day Daysailer from a total wreck.

The shop was also very useful in the construction of this studio. There are just too many uses for the shop, to begin to mention them all.

J

junsta17

Enthusiast
The shop houses two tractors, a 1948 John Deere Model A with farmhand front end loader, a 1958 John Deere 420 and a 1948 Willys CJ 2A JEEP.

The Model A has a grader fabricated in the shop to maintain the roads, and keep them clear of snow in the winter. The 420 is a utility tractor the is used for mowing with a 72 inch woods rear PTO mowing deck. There is also a No 5 JD sickle mower, restored here, for the grass at the lake edge. There is a fabricated sprayer for weeds, and now and again Mosquito control. This tractor with power steering and good hydraulics is also very useful for moving boats and trailers about.

The shop has central compressed air and ceiling lines, both oiled and dry, drill press, welder and plasma cutter. There is a good selection of air and hand tools, as well as wood working equipment. There are various pieces of ignition test equipment, especially relating to outboard motors.

The shop has a huge number of uses, including maritime restoration, wood and steel fabrication. Also the shop is equipped for a variety of engine repair.

At a like there are variety of things to be maintained and fabricated, for myself and neighbors. There are just too many uses to mention. This year we have high water after all the snows and also water has had to be held back at the federal dam on the Leech Lake river, because of Mississippi flooding. When the dock and lift crew came a number of the dock poles were not long enough. So the feet were removed from the old poles with the air hammer and new poles promptly cut and drilled. Without a well equipped shop that job of getting the feet of the old poles would be next to impossible.

The largest job in the shop was the complete restoration of a 1959 O'day Daysailer from a total wreck.

The shop was also very useful in the construction of this studio. There are just too many uses for the shop, to begin to mention them all.
Thank you for such comprehensive replies. I appreciate your time. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis