Onkyo TX-SR805 No display on LED

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I know it's very old thread and Yes - I am grave digging.
Yes, @TLS Guy - It is junk electronics :( but mine was built in japan, not that it helped it.
I can't quite believe that, but my 805 is now developed same issue. Factory reset already tried and didn't help. Besides lacking LED display - all other functions seem to work just fine, but I feel it's definitely one step closer the electronics heaven... (or hell in case of Onkyo)
Well, it lasted me 10 years - and I think it's sort of the record for 805 series...
I'll try this fix as I'm pretty comfortable with solder and warranty is long gone anyhow
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/857502-onkyo-tx-sr805-thread-434.html#post15249416

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, I know it's very old thread and Yes - I am grave digging.
Yes, @TLS Guy - It is junk electronics :( but mine was built in japan, not that it helped it.
I can't quite believe that, but my 805 is now developed same issue. Factory reset already tried and didn't help. Besides lacking LED display - all other functions seem to work just fine, but I feel it's definitely one step closer the electronics heaven... (or hell in case of Onkyo)
Well, it lasted me 10 years - and I think it's sort of the record for 805 series...
I'll try this fix as I'm pretty comfortable with solder and warranty is long gone anyhow
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/857502-onkyo-tx-sr805-thread-434.html#post15249416
If I remember correctly that issue is due to a dropper resistor failing. I have a feeling it is an easy fix.

Yes, that is what it is, the dropper resistors are too low a value. You can order the resistors from Mouser, now Radio Shack is no more.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If I remember correctly that issue is due to a dropper resistor failing. I have a feeling it is an easy fix.

Yes, that is what it is, the dropper resistors are too low a value. You can order the resistors from Mouser, now Radio Shack is no more.
Tbh, biggest issue will be moving it as it weighs almost 51lbs

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Got the resistors today (ordered a pair from ebay - original radioshack 10ohm 1w 5%) for under $5.
disassembly is pretty easy (3 screws each side and 3 on top of back). a bit of hacky soldering job and magic - LED is lid like a xmas tree !!
Hurray !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis