Onkyo TX-SR805 and current gen Apple TV: Incompatible?

T

tigerninety

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I've had this receiver for several years (I can't even remember how many) and I've been pretty happy with it, no real problems to speak of. (I wish, of course, that it had more HDMI inputs, but we can get by.)

Recently, though, I bought the latest edition AppleTV. I plugged it in and expected it all to "just work" and was dismayed to find that -- though I could hear the audio from the AppleTV -- I could not see the video from it. (Connecting it directly to my Panasonic AE 4000U works fine.)

Some searching on the web suggests that the 805's HDMI chip may not be compatible with the latest AppleTV. (Yes, the AppleTV shows that it has the current firmware update, or seems to; I've never performed any kind of update to the 805, if there is one, I didn't know about it.)

So, I'm writing to ask two things. First, does anyone out there have experience getting a current (2013) generation AppleTV to work through this receiver? If not, does anyone have any good experience with a largely equivalent tier Onkyo that DOES work with the current generation AppleTV--if so, what model?

Thanks!

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Make sure you have the latest firmware in the 805...
In our experience, the Apple TV has had some HDMI handshake issues with certain earlier AVRs. I am using an Apple TV with my SpeakerCraft 910 and everything works fine..

Just my $0.02... ;)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
One other thing...
Power ON sequence, you might try this order..
1. Display
2. AVR
3. Apple TV

Just my $0.02... ;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Make sure you have the latest firmware in the 805...
In our experience, the Apple TV has had some HDMI handshake issues with certain earlier AVRs. I am using an Apple TV with my SpeakerCraft 910 and everything works fine..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Yep, the 805 (and a lot of other onkyo's of that series) had handshake issues. If the firmware doesn't fix it you may try other hdmi ports to see if that works.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
One other thing...
Power ON sequence, you might try this order..
1. Display
2. AVR
3. Apple TV

Just my $0.02... ;)
This is good advice to deal with different sequences. That sometimes makes all the difference. Because the AppleTV is pretty much on all the time, it may be a different issue in terms of the sequence. So you'll need to see what happens if you boot it as a step three. There's also a 2-key combination (I think it's UP arrow and OK at the same time but check) and it will restart the AppleTV.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
Hello all,

I've had this receiver for several years (I can't even remember how many) and I've been pretty happy with it, no real problems to speak of. (I wish, of course, that it had more HDMI inputs, but we can get by.)

Recently, though, I bought the latest edition AppleTV. I plugged it in and expected it all to "just work" and was dismayed to find that -- though I could hear the audio from the AppleTV -- I could not see the video from it. (Connecting it directly to my Panasonic AE 4000U works fine.)

Some searching on the web suggests that the 805's HDMI chip may not be compatible with the latest AppleTV. (Yes, the AppleTV shows that it has the current firmware update, or seems to; I've never performed any kind of update to the 805, if there is one, I didn't know about it.)

So, I'm writing to ask two things. First, does anyone out there have experience getting a current (2013) generation AppleTV to work through this receiver? If not, does anyone have any good experience with a largely equivalent tier Onkyo that DOES work with the current generation AppleTV--if so, what model?

Thanks!

Todd
I do have quite a bit of experience with a Gen2 AppleTV and Anthem (I know it's all the wrong things) but one other item is to explicitly configure the AppleTV to output RGB as opposed to auto in the HDMI out settings. With the AppleTV, sometimes specifying/forcing the output helps the situation--however, this is usually when the picture is either pink or green, but it may also help with no video signal. That way the devices up the chain don't need to try and figure out what's what.

Last edited by a moderator:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Major issue with the Apple TV is that it is not HDMI certified, Apple chooses to do their own internal, HDMI compliance and interoperability testing...:confused:
Therefore how well it works with each AVR brand, is really up to the software used by that respective brand. In our CE consulting support business for some of the major AVR brands we have done quite abit of HDMI software tweaks/patches as to gain good compatibility with Apple TV. However then the risk is that the AVR may not be as compatible with other HDMI connected components..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis