Onkyo TX-SR609 + 42" Sceptre TV incompatible over HDMI

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've always known there is an outside possibility of Brand X AVR and Brand Y TV/DVD/BR Player/Cable box not playing nice and I found it.

Onkyo connected to the TV and it won't even display the GUI overlay. I reset the Onkyo, tried multiple inputs on TV, nada.

The Onkyo is updated to the most resent firmware and I didn't see anything available for the TV. Verified the AVR works on another TV.

Crap. I told by buddy he'll have to sell the Onkyo and try another brand.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just perused the 609 manual. Did you have the Onkyo and TV connected via HDMI (it's the only connection that will work with the OSD)? Also, did you have an HDMI input source selected when you tried to see the menus? The manual is, shall we just say, concise on the matter - but it does say that the OSD may not be displayed if an HDMI input is selected.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Of course. I also brought it to another TV and OSD works.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, we all believe you, and do not imagine that it was a Freudian slip.
If you saw some of the typos that I miss...man, Freud would have flipped just contemplating what it all means. Because we all know that he would be hanging out here with the cool kids. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've always known there is an outside possibility of Brand X AVR and Brand Y TV/DVD/BR Player/Cable box not playing nice and I found it.

Onkyo connected to the TV and it won't even display the GUI overlay. I reset the Onkyo, tried multiple inputs on TV, nada.

The Onkyo is updated to the most resent firmware and I didn't see anything available for the TV. Verified the AVR works on another TV.

Crap. I told by buddy he'll have to sell the Onkyo and try another brand.
Obviously those Sceptre TVs are not HDCP certified and we have more junk TVs proliferating. Whatever I have said about Onkyo, I know they are HDCP certified.

So the great Panasonics disappear and junk proliferates. Just wonderful!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis