Onkyo TX-SR608 standby light blinking

D

demoncamber

Audioholic Intern
Hello, I have the Onkyo TX-SR608 and the standby light is just blinking and will not come on. I have unplugged the unit and completely disconnected everything. What is the procedure to reset the protect mode and does anyone have any ideas tips or secrets of what to try to get it back to normal before I call Onkyo?

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello, I have the Onkyo TX-SR608 and the standby light is just blinking and will not come on. I have unplugged the unit and completely disconnected everything. What is the procedure to reset the protect mode and does anyone have any ideas tips or secrets of what to try to get it back to normal before I call Onkyo?

Thanks
First disconnect all the speakers.

See if the unit will fire up after disconnecting it from the power for 1 hour or more. If it does you have a short in your speaker wiring.

Check your connections and reconnect if it fires up.

Now refer to page 129 of your manual.

If the unit does not fire up, press VCR/DVD, while keeping it depressed press the on button.

"Clear" should appear in the screen.

If clear does not appear or resetting to default does not allow the unit to fire up, then another Onkyblow has bitten the dust and is fried.

If it fires up after setting back to factory default, then you will have to redo your set up from scratch.

D

demoncamber

Audioholic Intern
Awesome, can this key combo be done without the remote and from the receiver buttons itself?

As I don't have a remote ;)

D

demoncamber

Audioholic Intern
Good deal, I just looked at the manual and see that now. Thanks for your help.

I actually won this on ebay for $32 today, it's in perfect cosmetic condition, no remote or calibration mic included, and the standby light is blinking.

So I figured, if it's still under warranty I'll get it repaired, if not I'll fix it myself.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Good deal, I just looked at the manual and see that now. Thanks for your help.

I actually won this on ebay for $32 today, it's in perfect cosmetic condition, no remote or calibration mic included, and the standby light is blinking.

So I figured, if it's still under warranty I'll get it repaired, if not I'll fix it myself.
You probably got it for $32 because its fried. Unless you have a lot of tech experience and lots of advanced tech gear you won't fix that yourself, and I doubt its worth fixing.

If the plan I gave you does not work, I would very much doubt there is warranty under the circumstances of your acquisition of the unit.

If it does not fire up, it is almost certainly headed for the recycling center.

I see that unit is NLA from Onkyo. I see it could be bought for as little a $349 on line. You just can't make a unit with all those features for the asking price of that unit and it not be absolute junk and cynically produced to boot.

If you want all those features up the price by a factor of about five.

Last edited:
D

demoncamber

Audioholic Intern
Ah but that's the fun of ebay!

Well, to be honest I read the listing too fast before I used my auction sniper, it was ending in 2 minutes and only had 2 bids with no reserve, I happened to miss the section that said "standby light is blinking was not tested further" :eek::D

So I'll have to just check it out when it gets here ;)

I've gotten lucky with a few ebay "as-is" items before, both car audio amps, one was perfectly fine, the other just needed an input lead re-soldered.

Not to mention having the service manual helps ;)

Last edited:
D

demoncamber

Audioholic Intern
Well, I got the unit today, plugged it in, tried to power it up but the stand-by light is blinking. I tried the clear method to no avail. However after pressing all the buttons, the only one that shows up on the display is Zone 2, it lets me choose what source I want for zone 2 or to turn it off, then it will click off and blink the stand-by light again.

Anyone have any idea what this could mean? I'm going to replace all the fuses just to see if i can get anywhere, I put in an email to Onkyo to see if the warranty is still valid, we shall see.

D

demoncamber

Audioholic Intern
*update* All 3 fuses checked out fine. Probably a board, already got a quote for $120-150 from an Onkyo repair shop in Manville, NJ. I just might.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
*update* All 3 fuses checked out fine. Probably a board, already got a quote for $120-150 from an Onkyo repair shop in Manville, NJ. I just might.
If you decide to have it repaired, let us know how things turned out afterwards.

D

demoncamber

Audioholic Intern
So far so good, USPS says it got to them around 4pm today, then around 8pm I got an email saying:

Dear Nick,
Your receiver has been received and checked today.
Front left channel is bad- output transistors, driver transistors, and surrounding components.
The repair will take 1-2 days, repair cost is $140.
It could happen because of loud listening, static discharge, shorted speaker wires etc.
Check your left channel speaker wire for possible short at receiver terminals or speaker terminals.

I gave the go-ahead to do the repair.

Talk about a quick turn-around time!

I'll post back once I get it back home.

D

demoncamber

Audioholic Intern
*Update 2*

Status is now repaired, they replaced:
Overhauled input pc board, replaced R5420 R5350 R5470 R5360 Q5410 Q5430 Q5440
Overhauled amp pc board.

I will pick it up some time this week :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm glad you got service. However I doubt this is a good deal.

This is an obsolete unit that could be had for $349 0n the Net.

You have paid $32 on eBay. You paid shipping to you and shipping to and fro the repair center. I bet you have around $100 in shipping charges, give or take a few dollars. Your repair was $140. So you have paid around $300 for an obsolete unit, may be shipping was higher than my estimate.

D

demoncamber

Audioholic Intern
shipping was $17 to and would be $20 back, but I'm going to probably pick it up.

I'm into it for $243 if I chose to have it shipped back.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis