Onkyo TX-SR508 - Questions

Sinster

Sinster

Audiophyte
I have my Blu-Ray and my Cable (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) routed via HDMI through the receiver. The problem I running into if the receiver is off the sound won't come through the TV either from the BD or Cable. I have a Sony KDF 50E3000 and when the receiver is turned off I get a T.V. message stating "Switched to TV Speaker" and when receiver is turned on I get a message "Switched to External Speaker". I turn off the TV the receiver turns off. Turn on TV receiver doesn't turn on.

HDMI Setup - settings

Audio TV out - "Auto"
LipSync - "Enable"
HDMI Control - "On" <-------- if this is off no sound through receiver
Audio Return Ch - "Auto"
Power Control - "On"
TV Control - "On" <--------- if this is off no sound through receiver

Also it's not playing nice with my Samsung DP1600. If I switch between CBL/SAT to BD/DVD it freezes my Samsung. If the receiver is off I can't get a picture when the BD is playing.

Any suggestions?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know that particular receiver but in general the receiver must be on for anything to pass through the receiver. My workaround before I just decided to always use the receiver was a HDMI splitter between the cable box and receiver. One cable running from the splitter to the receiver and the other to the second HDMI port. There may be other solutions but that's what I did. With a unified remote like a Harmony I can't think of a reason not to use the receiver.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My reason is the wife.
The answer is a Harmony. Hit the watch Cable TV button and the TV, cable box, and receiver turn on and the input changes to the cable box.

Want to watch a DVD - hit the Watch DVD button and it turns off the cable box, turns on the DVD player, switches the source on the receiver to DVD and changes the remote's controls to mimic your DVD player's remote. Harmonys are super simple. One remote really does replace the whole collection.

But if that isn't workable you might look at splitter on monoprice.com.

Sinster

Sinster

Audiophyte
I got it.. I had to move the Cable box over to the "DVR/VCR" input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis