Onkyo TX-NR646 and TX-NR747 DTS:X AV Receivers Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Onkyo just announced their new TX-NR646 and TX-NR747 receivers. These two new Onkyo receivers are Dolby Atmos and DTS:X (FW upgrade needed) ready as well as having 4k Ultra HD, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Apple Connect. Best of all is the price. At just under $700 for the TX-NR646 this feature backed AVR will get your home theater system updated to the latest technologies without breaking the bank.

Read: Onkyo TX-NR646 and TX-NR747 DTS:X AV Receivers Preview

How do you think these compare to the new Denon , Yamaha and Pioneer models recently announced?

Last edited:
D

Darthkab

Audiophyte
Now that Yamaha has recently announced their line of Dolby Atmos/DTS:X capable receivers, I have narrowed my choices to either Onkyo or Denon. While I was looking forward to Yamaha's offerings as I currently run the awesome RX-V673, their price points on their new Aventage series DTS:X models have steered me away from continuing with their brand. Onkyo's TX-NR646 and Denon's AVR-S910 on the other hand, both hit the "best bang for the buck" sweet spot, IMO. I can't wait for my local store to stock both, so I can get a first hand look and hear to finalize my choice. I've owned past receivers from the these two brands as well, so I think I can't go wrong either way. I've never owned a Pioneer brand receiver before, so I cannot speak of experience for their products, but I only see Atmos capable offerings from them at this time. Should they announce a DTS:X version by the fall time this year, when I plan to make a purchase, I'll certainly consider a look as long as they are as competitive with both features and price. I am looking forward to DTS:X to add something new to my existing 7.2 setup as I have my speakers with behind the wall wiring and do not want to rearrange/rewire. I will definitely wire my ceiling for height I cannot wait to surround myself in awesomeness!

W

wmpape

Audiophyte
I think the availability of Audessey with the Dennon models is a key factor to consider.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis