Onkyo TX-NR626 not passing 4K to TV?

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
All the product pages for the TX-NR626 say things like "this receiver will passthrough 4K resolution (http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR626&class=Receiver)", but 4K YouTube content is only showing "HD" on my Hisense 55H8C when running from Chromecast Ultra through my TX-NR626.

I've seen some posts about HDMI 1.__ vs. 2.2 or whatever. Is this receiver limited in some way that will not actually pass through the 4K content? I have changed the 626 monitor settings and it makes no difference. I'm keeping it on "through" for now.

If the receiver cannot actually pass through all types of 4K 60fps video to the TV, I'll have to try to sell it and get a receiver (not Onkyo) that is capable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is your source for the 4k content? You sure it's outputting at 4k, no bandwidth issue, that sort of thing? If you plug that directly into the tv is it fine?

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
What is your source for the 4k content? You sure it's outputting at 4k, no bandwidth issue, that sort of thing? If you plug that directly into the tv is it fine?
It's a Chromecast Ultra. When plugged directly into the TV, it says 4K is being displayed. Did a lot of troubleshooting.

It's looking like my Onkyo TX-NR626 isn't going to actually pass through any 4K content like it said it would. Probably something to do with lack of HDCP 2.2 support.

After shopping around, it's still hard to beat all the features of the NR646. If the phono input has a preamp, I might end up going with that some day.

For now, I can plug the Chromecast into the TV and run the optical audio out to my receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As I mentioned in your other thread, couldn't find any confirmation of HDMI 2.0a/HDCP2.2 on the 626 when I looked around briefly. Seems you found out in the meantime? If it has an input labeled phono then it will have the preamp/RIAA eq needed (but likely only for a moving magnet cartridge).

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I feel that the HDMI scheme itself is the main problem. HDMI is still in a state of change and rather high unreliability. Other brands of receivers, TVs, and other sources are having issues also. So, I cannot lay any fault on Onkyo alone. A lot of times, a direct connection to the TV is the best bet - but not a guarantee.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I feel that the HDMI scheme itself is the main problem. HDMI is still in a state of change and rather high unreliability. Other brands of receivers, TVs, and other sources are having issues also. So, I cannot lay any fault on Onkyo alone. A lot of times, a direct connection to the TV is the best bet - but not a guarantee.
Yes HDMI has issues but pretty much the only game in town unfortunately (altho I wouldn't be crazy about multiple standards). Direct connection to the tv is less than desirable for many for audio purposes.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
All the product pages for the TX-NR626 say things like "this receiver will passthrough 4K resolution (http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR626&class=Receiver)", but 4K YouTube content is only showing "HD" on my Hisense 55H8C when running from Chromecast Ultra through my TX-NR626.

I've seen some posts about HDMI 1.__ vs. 2.2 or whatever. Is this receiver limited in some way that will not actually pass through the 4K content? I have changed the 626 monitor settings and it makes no difference. I'm keeping it on "through" for now.

If the receiver cannot actually pass through all types of 4K 60fps video to the TV, I'll have to try to sell it and get a receiver (not Onkyo) that is capable.
Why are you so stuck on 4K? 2K or 4K makes no difference at all at normal viewing distances. Unless you are a myopic with your nose pressed against the screen there will be no difference.

I can fond no TV available now that gives a picture as good as my now discontinued high end Panny Plasma screens. Not even close. TVs are now worse than they were a few years ago, whether they say 2 or 4K.

What I do know is that people are buying into a ton of trouble with this 4K idiocy. The studios never miss an opportunity to rain on everyone's parade with their HDCP code over reach. 4K has given them another Heaven sent opportunity to hassle the customer with more layers of complexity, one of which is to speed up the repeater handshakes. The HDMI boards are now working overtime and failing. All for a totally useless benefit outside a few special circumstances.

From your other post you want to do this for no more than $500. This is not going to happen. If you try the chances are you will have a broken AV system faster than greased lightening.

To make quality units for this will require quadruple your budget probably. There is going to be some serious crying in the soup over all of this.

My advice to anyone that has a functional 2K system and 2K receiver is to leave well alone and not buy yourself trouble.

Upgraditis is a serious and costly disease, especially now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis