onkyo tx-nr609 firmware problem

C

Crash

Enthusiast
Just thought I would share my problem. In the hopes that it may help someone else.

I recently updated my Onkyo tx-nr609 firmware to the latest version released 3/28/12. well after updating everything worked fine except the THX sound fields. the receiver would click and the speakers would pop and stutter only on the thx modes. the sound became very distorted (only on thx) at all volumes and at higher volume the receiver would recognize the distortion and turn off. Needless to say I contacted Onkyo and now my receiver is being sent out to Best Buy service center. Onkyo's first response was...it must be your speakers causing the distortion and auto protect mode. the second response from a different phone rep. was one of your circuits must have went bad and its not compatible with the new firmware.

Well long story short I just wanted to share my experience and possibly help someone else before they update to the new firmware and are down for 2-4 weeks for service. I should know what the true problem is in a couple of weeks. Its just so darn coincidental that the THX modes failed after the firmware update and everything was A-Okay previously.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just thought I would share my problem. In the hopes that it may help someone else.

I recently updated my Onkyo tx-nr609 firmware to the latest version released 3/28/12. well after updating everything worked fine except the THX sound fields. the receiver would click and the speakers would pop and stutter only on the thx modes. the sound became very distorted (only on thx) at all volumes and at higher volume the receiver would recognize the distortion and turn off. Needless to say I contacted Onkyo and now my receiver is being sent out to Best Buy service center. Onkyo's first response was...it must be your speakers causing the distortion and auto protect mode. the second response from a different phone rep. was one of your circuits must have went bad and its not compatible with the new firmware.

Well long story short I just wanted to share my experience and possibly help someone else before they update to the new firmware and are down for 2-4 weeks for service. I should know what the true problem is in a couple of weeks. Its just so darn coincidental that the THX modes failed after the firmware update and everything was A-Okay previously.
That has to be software. I just don't see how the problem would jsut affect one mode of it was hardware. Sounds like BS from Onkyo to me.

Did you try reloading the software by the way, and or returning the receiver to default and see if that cured it?

I have a feeling the latter very likely would have solved the problem.

C

Crash

Enthusiast
No, I wasn't able to reload the firmware. As the system recognized that I had the newest installed and the customer service said there was no way for me to reload a previous version. I didn't know how to restore defaults as this wasn't explained to me. And now looking back through the manual, I must have totally missed it but I see it plain as day now though.

C

Crash

Enthusiast
Quick update. I was able to try the factory restore (vcr/dvr and stand-by button) before the unit was shipped from the local store to the service center. This did not resolve the issue. Thanks for the suggestion. I will update when I here back from the service center.

R

Rubicon_Joey

Audioholic Intern
Makes me glad I didn't dl the update. Wonder if this is an isolated incident or if others are having this problem...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That sucks. I just downloaded a firmware update for my 3009 and all is well (I think). Now you've got me all worried I'll have to do a more thorough test of my receiver now to make sure everything is functioning properly.

Best of luck with your repair.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't fret guys. I am sure this will eventually be solved. It does seem to be a software issue, and if so, this cannot be an isolated incident. The question is does this effect only this model, or the other models that has the THX feature. If this update serves the other receivers with THX, then Onkyo will either have to make a fix now, or they may decide to wait until the next update. As popular as the THX is with movies, it would make sense for Onkyo to make a fix available as soon as possible.

In the meantime, what you could do is join the Onkyo forum and see if this issue has been brought up on their forum. If you do not find any articles pertaining to this issue, then I would start a thread and see what the Techs can find.

I have provided you the link to the forum. Please keep us informed. I'm sure you will not be the only one with this issue.

Admin & Mods... If Audioholics has a fora regarding issues with certain brands, i.e Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, etc., you may want to consider adding this thread for future reference

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Quick update. I was able to try the factory restore (vcr/dvr and stand-by button) before the unit was shipped from the local store to the service center. This did not resolve the issue. Thanks for the suggestion. I will update when I here back from the service center.
Crash, when did you purchase the 609? Are you aware of the SN recalls? If you purchased your 609 between October-December 2011 and January 2012 you need to check your serial number here.
Press Releases | About Onkyo | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products I may be way out of bounds here, but this sounds like a hardware problem. Hope this helps.
Jeff

C

Crash

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I purchased the unit mid Sept 2011. Just checked the serial # and it's not part of the recall. Hopefully I will hear something from the service center soon.

C

Crash

Enthusiast
Well I received the receiver back from the Best Buy service center today. The technician notes stated that the unit was tested with THX dvd, and no problems were found. have customer check speakers. I am so frustrated right now. Of course there would be no faults found if they did not switch to one of the thx sound modes...I guess its time to ship it to an Onkyo service center.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well I received the receiver back from the Best Buy service center today. The technician notes stated that the unit was tested with THX dvd, and no problems were found. have customer check speakers. I am so frustrated right now. Of course there would be no faults found if they did not switch to one of the thx sound modes...I guess its time to ship it to an Onkyo service center.
They are all pig dribblers at Best Buy now. The CEO resigned after allegations of chasing skirt round the shop.

I hope Onkyo are smarter, but I would far from discount getting the same result. You had better tape a label to it with very specific instructions.

I would say it is at least 50/50 it will come back the same way, may be even worse odds.

I would respectfully suggest to them they reflash the BIOS, reload the latest firmware and test the unit thoroughly.

If that does not cure it, you need a new receiver, as it will mean a bad microprocessor board.

E

e_farrisaki

Audiophyte
Hey Crash,
If I were you I'd go on their forum and see if they help you out. It's on their website. Hey ya never know.

C

Crash

Enthusiast
Hey Crash,
If I were you I'd go on their forum and see if they help you out. It's on their website. Hey ya never know.
I have been scanning Onkyo's forum....but I already sent it UPS to Onkyo's service center, it should be there tomorrow. Luckily I have my old Sony str-de675 as a back-up receiver.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I have been a long time reader, just haven't posted before this. This site is a wealth of knowledge.

C

Crash

Enthusiast
Just thought I would report back. I got my receiver back from the Onkyo service center (ABL Electronic Service) today. Everything seems to be working as it should. The paperwork states they replaced the HDMI board and reloaded most recent firmware. So I guess I was wrong for thinking it was the firmware. I sure hope the new board last longer than seven months.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It should, sounds like yours may have been one of the ones that was affected via the big recall they had with the hdmi boards. Hope everything works out, just to be safe you should invest in some fans to keep everything nice and cool.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just thought I would report back. I got my receiver back from the Onkyo service center (ABL Electronic Service) today. Everything seems to be working as it should. The paperwork states they replaced the HDMI board and reloaded most recent firmware. So I guess I was wrong for thinking it was the firmware. I sure hope the new board last longer than seven months.
Thanks for the follow up. I think it is really strange that the HDMI board would cause trouble with just one, or any come to that listening mode.

I wonder if they just replaced the HDMI board as they have been having so much trouble with them, and it was the firmware.

As Fuzz says, keep it cool. That means lots of space round it and fans. It seems the problems with these units are to a large extent heat related.

G

gabe973

Audiophyte
Just wanted to add my own experience with my TX-NR609 (purchased July 2011) since this was the only mention of this problem that I was able to find.

Same story really. Upgraded firmware, tried to play a bluray, and once it went into THX mode, all kinds of extremely loud noises started coming out of the speakers. All of the other modes were fine. Tried the same steps...try to reload the firmware, which it doesn't allow. Tried to clear the unit...didn't help. Checked the serial number and it wasn't part of the recall. Posted to Onkyo forums and Onkyo said to take it to a service center.

Oddly enough, I took it to the same place, ABL Electronics, since they are close to where I work. I just got the unit back...haven't even hooked it up yet...but this is what the slip said.

"Traced problem to and replaced defective HDMI board on chassis & upgraded firmware to specifications. Reassembled unit and checked operation"

So looks like at least two of the same problem with the same unit. Even went to the same repair shop and had the same fix.

Gabe

J

Jlake826

Audiophyte
Onkyo tx-nr609 something is wrong with setup and i cant figure it out

Hello all,

I am new here. I just upgraded to a Onkyo 609 from an older model onkyo. When i swapped out receivers, my tv picture quality is much worse than it previously was. Im sure this is a setting issue somewhere but i cant figure it out. When i say worse, my picture quality used to be crystal clear when viewing fios hd, ps3, and xbox. Now the picture on all high def sources is jittery. During fast action scenes it gets blurry or almost pixelated i guess....just as an lcd tv tends to.

My system consists of:

Samsung PN58B860 58" Plasma tv

Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver

Sony PS3 "fat" ( 1st generation)

Xbox 360 Slim

Verizon fios hd set top box

klipsch Quintet 5.1 Speakers

Klipsch 10" powered subwoofer

Now when i swapped to install my new reciever, everything is run the same exact way as the old receiver.

The hdmi " output " on receiver is run to the hdmi 1 on the Samsung TV
The PS3 hdmi is plugged in to the BD/DVD input on the Onkyo
The FioS hdmi is plugged in to the Cable/Sat input on the Onkyo
The xbox 360 hdmi is plugged in to the Video Game input on the Onkyo

This was the exact way the old receiver was wired. I cant figure out why the picture quality has turned so bad. Not only is it jittery at fast paced sources, but now commercials on the high def broadcast are barely viewable....they look worse than standard def, it seems like everything in the background of all sources is " snowy"

I am losing my mind trying to figure this out. I am not sure if it is a pass through setting, an hdmi issue, or possibly an incorrect upscaleing setting.

Could really use some advice before i lose my mind.

Thank you any one who takes the time to read this post!!!

K

kev1977

Audiophyte
Onkyo tx-nr609 something is wrong with setup and i cant figure it out

Hello all,

I am new here. I just upgraded to a Onkyo 609 from an older model onkyo. When i swapped out receivers, my tv picture quality is much worse than it previously was. Im sure this is a setting issue somewhere but i cant figure it out. When i say worse, my picture quality used to be crystal clear when viewing fios hd, ps3, and xbox. Now the picture on all high def sources is jittery. During fast action scenes it gets blurry or almost pixelated i guess....just as an lcd tv tends to.

My system consists of:

Samsung PN58B860 58" Plasma tv

Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver

Sony PS3 "fat" ( 1st generation)

Xbox 360 Slim

Verizon fios hd set top box

klipsch Quintet 5.1 Speakers

Klipsch 10" powered subwoofer

Now when i swapped to install my new reciever, everything is run the same exact way as the old receiver.

The hdmi " output " on receiver is run to the hdmi 1 on the Samsung TV
The PS3 hdmi is plugged in to the BD/DVD input on the Onkyo
The FioS hdmi is plugged in to the Cable/Sat input on the Onkyo
The xbox 360 hdmi is plugged in to the Video Game input on the Onkyo

This was the exact way the old receiver was wired. I cant figure out why the picture quality has turned so bad. Not only is it jittery at fast paced sources, but now commercials on the high def broadcast are barely viewable....they look worse than standard def, it seems like everything in the background of all sources is " snowy"

I am losing my mind trying to figure this out. I am not sure if it is a pass through setting, an hdmi issue, or possibly an incorrect upscaleing setting.

Could really use some advice before i lose my mind.

Thank you any one who takes the time to read this post!!!

Did you ever solve this problem friend? I have recently picked up this 609 and I am having the exact same problems that you have described!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis