ONKYO Signal Processing Delay vs. DIRECT mode

P

phuz

Audiophyte
I am hoping someone on here has been in the same boat I'm currently in and can provide some insight. Google has not turned up any results that have been of any assistance.
My buddy and I both have Onkyo HT-SR800 receivers and we do a lot of audio mixing. It seems that in every mode (except DIRECT), the audio is processed and therefore delayed so when you have your headphones on from the mixer, there is about ~50ms in which the ONKYO outputs the sound. In direct mode it sounds great, but there is no subwoofer. STEREO mode is the closest we can get, but I would love for the receiver to use the subwoofer without lagging behind at all.

Is this even possible with our make/model receiver?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know Denon has receivers where you can select both DIRECT mode or PURE DIRECT mode + subwoofer.

In the AVR 2Ch Listening Setting, you pick Front Speakers (Large or Small) + Subwoofer. Then it will always use the subwoofer regardless of what mode you use, even DIRECT mode.

S

sptrout

Audioholic
phuz, I think you have covered the bases with your AVR. I quickly read through the manual for your unit and the SR800 operation is fairly common with Onkyo products.

1. Direct Mode: The manual says "minimal" audio processing which I take to mean that the only digital action is the required D to A conversion of digital inputs (HDMI, optical, etc.). If the SR800 is like my 805, then there is no bass management or any other digital processing available at all in the Direct Mode. This lack of digital processing is the reason you do not hear the delay in audio as you describe.

2. Unlike the Denon model(s) described by AcuDefTechGuy, there does not appear to be a Direct + subwoofer mode in your AVR. If there is, I could not find it. Although the manual does say right below the "Direct" description that when in the "Stereo" mode the subwoofer is active so some digital processing is in play in this mode, but apparently not enough to cause a detectible audio delay.

Sorry, but I think you have discovered the one limitation in your and your friend's AVR that while a big problem for you guys with how you use them would not be an issue for most users.

Z

ZeGhostbear

Junior Audioholic
Looks like we can rule out the receiver for a solution then.

That still leaves us to look at your subwoofer for a potential solution. Some subwoofers can accept full-range signals. You could loop your stereo monitors through such a sub. Not sure whether that would create any kind of noticeable delay, but you can always ask your question over in the subwoofer section of the forum. You might want to supply your subwoofer model to get us started.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis