Onkyo Receivers: Good or Bad?

Anthony Melendrez

Anthony Melendrez

Enthusiast
Thanks to all the feedback about this question. Just got my copy of Predator on blu-ray and now gonna go watch some dudes destroy a jungle with a mini-gun and grenade launchers...GET TO DA CHAPPA!!

L

locopwr

Audiophyte
The reason I ask is I just bought a new Onkyo TX-NR656. I went from an old Sony and I was immediately wowed by the hi-res audio and the video looked great. Price was good and features are decent, but I wanted to hear from you fellow geek heads on what you thought about Onkyo receivers.
I would like to throw in 2 cents to this convo. I would absolutely stay away from Onkyo at least until they fix their chip and customer service issues. I have a TX-SR806 that has the exact same issues as the recalled/extended warranty models....low and behold....mine does not qualify. CS person didn't want to hear that the issues started...of course as soon as the warranty ran out! What BS!! CS refused to believe that maybe their chip problems are more wide spread than they think. Better yet, I live in PA, the closest authorized service center is in E. Syracuse, NY., I could buy a new unit for what it will cost to ship it there! Their old stuff was amazing must admit....had a TX8500 that lasted 30 year and was still operable.....just wanted something updated....what a mistake....my bad! Not so much so for their new stuff. The more I dig on their new products, the worst the story's get....I would advise anyone to stay away. For $900.00 (that was 8 years ago) you can buy a much better piece of equipment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would like to throw in 2 cents to this convo. I would absolutely stay away from Onkyo at least until they fix their chip and customer service issues. I have a TX-SR806 that has the exact same issues as the recalled/extended warranty models....low and behold....mine does not qualify. CS person didn't want to hear that the issues started...of course as soon as the warranty ran out! What BS!! CS refused to believe that maybe their chip problems are more wide spread than they think. Better yet, I live in PA, the closest authorized service center is in E. Syracuse, NY., I could buy a new unit for what it will cost to ship it there! Their old stuff was amazing must admit....had a TX8500 that lasted 30 year and was still operable.....just wanted something updated....what a mistake....my bad! Not so much so for their new stuff. The more I dig on their new products, the worst the story's get....I would advise anyone to stay away. For $900.00 (that was 8 years ago) you can buy a much better piece of equipment.
So just what happened on yours? I thought your model was within the date range for the extended warranty if the problem qualifies....

L

locopwr

Audiophyte
Nope mine is not one of the models identified with the bad chips therefore it does not qualify even though it was build in the same time frame and has the exact same problems of those at were. BTW i asked the CS person if I could talk to her supervisor she said she would take my number and he would call me back......still waiting!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nope mine is not one of the models identified with the bad chips therefore it does not qualify even though it was build in the same time frame and has the exact same problems of those at were. BTW i asked the CS person if I could talk to her supervisor she said she would take my number and he would call me back......still waiting!
Which bad chips, tho?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Which bad chips, tho?
The models that were repaired had a bad network chip that apparently caused network and HDMI issues. I got my 809 repaired and it works flawlessly now. I had network and HDMI issues before getting it fixed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The models that were repaired had a bad network chip that apparently caused network and HDMI issues. I got my 809 repaired and it works flawlessly now. I had network and HDMI issues before getting it fixed.
I know, I also had a unit from that era repaired under the extended warranty program, was more curious what the specific issue was with @locopwr's unit....and which chip he's referring to....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I also had my 808 repaired no questions asked. My experience was great. Surprised and disappointed that others didn't have the same.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I know, I also had a unit from that era repaired under the extended warranty program, was more curious what the specific issue was with @locopwr's unit....and which chip he's referring to....
Ah. Well then. :oops:

His is an 806 which was released quite a long time ago. 2010 IIRC. It would be a stretch for them to warranty something that old.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah. Well then. :oops:

His is an 806 which was released quite a long time ago. 2010 IIRC. It would be a stretch for them to warranty something that old.
Ah, thought it was a 2011 unit from a review I saw but wasn't the program extended to units dating as far back as 2009 in any case (2009-2012 from what I remember).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ah, thought it was a 2011 unit from a review I saw but wasn't the program extended to units dating as far back as 2009 in any case (2009-2012 from what I remember).
You are correct.

"As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip."

@locopwr if you want to PM me your serial or go to this link (if you are in the US) it will tell you whether or not your unit is eligible. I think your unit was released in 2009 or late 2008. Worth a try and you don't have to talk to a customer service moron.

I did that and got a box sent to me with a return label. I never once spoke to anyone.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You are correct.

"As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip."

@locopwr if you want to PM me your serial or go to this link (if you are in the US) it will tell you whether or not your unit is eligible. I think your unit was released in 2009 or late 2008. Worth a try and you don't have to talk to a customer service moron.

I did that and got a box sent to me with a return label. I never once spoke to anyone.
Personally I think this highlights onkyo as a good brand. They're still fixing units out of the regular warranty period. I feel like most other brands would say go pound sand. Sorry Charlie, we got a bad batch, better luck next time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I think this highlights onkyo as a good brand. They're still fixing units out of the regular warranty period. I feel like most other brands would say go pound sand. Sorry Charlie, we got a bad batch, better luck next time.
OTOH they lightened their overhead with eliminating Audyssey but their in-house replacement hasn't seemed to work out so well....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
OTOH they lightened their overhead with eliminating Audyssey but their in-house replacement hasn't seemed to work out so well....
I'm glad you added that. As You've pointed out, ditching Audyssey was stooooo-pid. Some people loathe audyssey but I think sometimes that's just because they don't want to admit that it works pretty damn good. Accueq seems like it's half baked but some seem to like it. I wish DM would implement Dirac. It seems more comprehensive and user friendly.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Audyssey royalty cost was expensive. AccuEq was not developed by Onkyo, it is the house EQ software (royalty-free) from TI since they are using TI audio DSPs...

Just my $0.02... ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Audyssey royalty cost was expensive. AccuEq was not developed by Onkyo, it is the house EQ software (royalty-free) from TI since they are using TI audio DSPs...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Good point.
I mentioned Dirac, but even if they borrowed mcacc, I think would be good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis