J

JDH78

Audiophyte
I have surround sound in two rooms. The living room currently has a 5 channel system set up with my 7 channel Yamaha RX 1040 in it. My rec room needs set back up. Just moved here and some construction workers stole the Xbox, the onkyo, benq projector and apple tv. So I need to buy another receiver and looking at just grabbing another onlyo. Probably just the TX NR646.

The rec room speakers are the energy connoisseur line pretty much all around. Living room has smaller in ceiling speakers. At our old house, the onkyo powered the smaller energy speakers (take energy) in our garage converted into a movie room and they actually sounded better than the connoisseur speakers powered by the yamaha.

Thinking of keeping the yamaha in the fam room powering the small energy front channel and the in ceiling speakers using the 5 channel set up. And using the onkyo to power up the rec room. Or should I think about going vice versa? I think onkyo pushes more power and there is more air space in rec room. Just not an expert on this. Going with onkyo because i liked the sound of the old one (same model) and it isn't going to break the bank. Still have to replace the other stolen equipment.

K

kyzer soze

Enthusiast
I've had three different yamaha receivers and one onkyo. The only one i had issue's with was the onkyo id look elsewhere imho. Accessories4less is a good place to look theirs great deals to be had. Also if you don't care about dolby atmos, dts:x or 4k look at getting last years model you'll save alot more $$.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yamaha Adventage or Marantz. I have a Onkyo for a couple of years, but the newer ones don't have Audyssey, so I won't recommend them.

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
As far as sound goes, the only differences you would hear are when using DSP type processing. Otherwise they'll sound essentially the same. That said, Yamaha stands as the leader in DSP processing.

Reliability? If you read through different forums you will notice a trend: Onkyos break alot. And Yamahas dont. Again, they are the leader in reliability.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis