Onkyo M-5010 2 channel amp: A multi-zone amp champ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Pre-Pros & Receivers' started by admin, Jul 12, 2013.

1. admin Audioholics Robot Staff Member

admin
    At 75wpc the M-5010 probably isn't the best choice to power a big stereo system, but might make a good multi-zone amp.

[​IMG]

Read the Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier Preview
  2. fmw Audioholic Samurai

fmw
    I didn't read the review but I will comment on the introduction. Why would an amp be appropriate for multi zone use and not for a "big" stereo system. Wouldn't one want good performance from a second zone system? What makes 75 watts per channel inappropriate for a "big" stereo system. Wouldn't that depend on the speakers, room size, sound pressure levels? My "big" stereo system performs beautifully on 40 watts per channel.
    fmw,
  3. Cliff_is Audioholics Content Manager

Cliff_is
    Because for about the same price you could get the 125wpc UPA-200. But the UPA-200 doesn't have have the volume control or line level outputs that make the M-5010 nice for multi-zone applications.

It's not that it wouldn't work fine, but there are better options and the focus of the design obviously is for multi-zone use.

Also, read the preview, you will see that we comment on the size of the room in relation to the power.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. anamorphic96 Audioholic General

anamorphic96
    This is the same amp section thats in the A-9050 as well. The amp specs make me wonder why Onkyo does not release full bandwidth specs. They do on the TX-8050. Which seems to outperform the A-9050 at a much lower price. :confused:
  5. rgrizzzz Audiophyte

rgrizzzz
    I'm looking at this amp to pair with an Onkyo TX-SR508 to do multi-room audio. I'm pretty new to multi-room setups and could use some help. I'm leaning towards this amp due to price and what I think it can do. I have a 5.1 speaker configuration in the living room powered by the receiver. I added speakers to the ceiling of the kitchen, living room and dining room of our new house. I need to power those 3 pairs and I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. The receiver has a Zone 2 set of speaker outputs. Should I connect one set of the speakers here? Then, connect the other two sets to the M9010? I have to daisy chain the speakers to do this. I need/should use banana plugs, right? The review sort of mentions that if I want to connect 4 speakers, I need to keep the amp set to 8 ohms for daisy chaining. I was under the impression that 4 was the better setting. Will all this work the way I'm planning? I don't think I need a ton of power for the kitchen, dining and living rooms. I just want to play music there.

If this isn't the best idea, I'd also consider the Onkyo A-5VL for about $100 more. Thoughts there for my use?

There's also a chance that I might move the Onkyo to another room with my big TV and leverage an old Sony 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver. Does either amp make a better choice in this scenario. The Sony has a B/Zone 2 speaker output as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. rgrizzzz Audiophyte

rgrizzzz
    I did a bit more digging here on the forums, and wound up with a Sherbourn PA 12-45 for $250. It looks like they've been bought out by Emotiva, and are really clearing out their stock. This gives me some head room if I ever want to put some sound outside, which there's a good chance of.

PA 12-45 12-Channel Amplifier | Sherbourn Technologies