Onkyo M-5010 2 channel amp: A multi-zone amp champ?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't read the review but I will comment on the introduction. Why would an amp be appropriate for multi zone use and not for a "big" stereo system. Wouldn't one want good performance from a second zone system? What makes 75 watts per channel inappropriate for a "big" stereo system. Wouldn't that depend on the speakers, room size, sound pressure levels? My "big" stereo system performs beautifully on 40 watts per channel.

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
I didn't read the review but I will comment on the introduction. Why would an amp be appropriate for multi zone use and not for a "big" stereo system. Wouldn't one want good performance from a second zone system? What makes 75 watts per channel inappropriate for a "big" stereo system. Wouldn't that depend on the speakers, room size, sound pressure levels? My "big" stereo system performs beautifully on 40 watts per channel.
Because for about the same price you could get the 125wpc UPA-200. But the UPA-200 doesn't have have the volume control or line level outputs that make the M-5010 nice for multi-zone applications.

It's not that it wouldn't work fine, but there are better options and the focus of the design obviously is for multi-zone use.

Also, read the preview, you will see that we comment on the size of the room in relation to the power.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
This is the same amp section thats in the A-9050 as well. The amp specs make me wonder why Onkyo does not release full bandwidth specs. They do on the TX-8050. Which seems to outperform the A-9050 at a much lower price. :confused:

R

rgrizzzz

Audiophyte
I'm looking at this amp to pair with an Onkyo TX-SR508 to do multi-room audio. I'm pretty new to multi-room setups and could use some help. I'm leaning towards this amp due to price and what I think it can do. I have a 5.1 speaker configuration in the living room powered by the receiver. I added speakers to the ceiling of the kitchen, living room and dining room of our new house. I need to power those 3 pairs and I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. The receiver has a Zone 2 set of speaker outputs. Should I connect one set of the speakers here? Then, connect the other two sets to the M9010? I have to daisy chain the speakers to do this. I need/should use banana plugs, right? The review sort of mentions that if I want to connect 4 speakers, I need to keep the amp set to 8 ohms for daisy chaining. I was under the impression that 4 was the better setting. Will all this work the way I'm planning? I don't think I need a ton of power for the kitchen, dining and living rooms. I just want to play music there.

If this isn't the best idea, I'd also consider the Onkyo A-5VL for about $100 more. Thoughts there for my use?

There's also a chance that I might move the Onkyo to another room with my big TV and leverage an old Sony 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver. Does either amp make a better choice in this scenario. The Sony has a B/Zone 2 speaker output as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
R

rgrizzzz

Audiophyte
I did a bit more digging here on the forums, and wound up with a Sherbourn PA 12-45 for $250. It looks like they've been bought out by Emotiva, and are really clearing out their stock. This gives me some head room if I ever want to put some sound outside, which there's a good chance of.

PA 12-45 12-Channel Amplifier | Sherbourn Technologies

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis