Onkyo HT-S5500 Speakers upgrade.

hmd666

hmd666

Enthusiast
Hello there.

I'm a newbie in all about home theater.
Recently, about 2 months ago, i bought a HT package : Onkyo HT-S5500. I'm very pleased with it and at least after almost 18 years of patience i can make myself this present.....YEAH !!!

Well i know this is not a top end system, but it's a good one and i like it.

Though as every HTiB, the speakers are not the best things that exist. I wonder if it could be reasonable to upgrade the speakers, does it worth it to put better speakers on this receiver (HT-R591) or not. And if i can upgrade, where do i have to stop : I think Focal Utopia III is too much, isn't it ? lol

Considering i watch movies, listen to music and play games on my PS3, not one really much than another, also my room is an open space (TV room, dining room, kitchen, etc...) and considering i have no idea about the budget, do you have some suggestion ?

Do not hesitate to ask me for more detail about my idea.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Olivier

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well i know this is not a top end system, but it's a good one and i like it.

Though as every HTiB, the speakers are not the best things that exist. I wonder if it could be reasonable to upgrade the speakers, does it worth it to put better speakers on this receiver (HT-R591) or not. And if i can upgrade, where do i have to stop : I think Focal Utopia III is too much, isn't it ? lol
Since your budget seems open >>>
This is cheaper than the Utopia - and since on closeout pricing,
it would also give you an excuse, to upgrade your receiver.
FOCAL ELECTRA 1007 S BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (Pr) at Music Direct

hmd666

hmd666

Enthusiast
Thanks for your answer.
Actually this thread is really open, please consider every options from top to bottom, considering i have a 7.1 system to upgrade, so 8 speakers, but my budget is not infinite......... lol (Focal was just an extreme example)

For the moment i do not consider to upgrade the receiver (maybe later, long term......)

;-)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You need to give some type of budget range - so that
the recommendations can be more realistic - and ones
that can be more suited to that receiver.

hmd666

hmd666

Enthusiast
Yes, i understand.
Actually my plan, is maybe to change the speakers one after another, maybe not all at the same time.....
As i say, i have no idea for budget. The less is the better......
Maybe somewhere between 1000 and 2000. For all.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Looking towards the upper end of that budget:

You said you've got an open space which means you've got a lot to pressurize. You'll do good to invest in a larger sub. Something like the HSU VTF 3 MK4 ($750 shipped)

VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer

Then I'd recommend the speakers I've got. Ascend Acoustic 340SE L/C/R and 170SE surrounds. $1170 shipped for all five..

Ascend Acoustics - Quality loudspeakers Made Affordable Via Direct Sales

Add their speaker stands if you need them. They're fantastic quality. $180 shipped for the front L/R pair and $130 shipped for the surround L/R pair.

Accessories

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Given that you don't want to upgrade your AV Receiver at this time, I'd suggest going with some rather efficient speakers.

Normally, in a large room, I'd be recommending something like the Inifnity Primus or EMP Tek Impression series speakers - particularly when "lower is better" in terms of the budget.

But both the Infinity Primus and EMP Tek speakers love and need some pretty beefy power, which your current AV Receiver isn't really prepared to supply!

So I'd point you more towards BIC Acoustech and HSU Research .

This is all about working with what you have, keeping the price down, and keeping in mind your room size.

As others have pointed out, your real challenge is going to be the bass. With big, wide open space, you're going to need a ton of bass output. So your plan of maybe upgrading in pieces at a time is a good one. You'll be able to afford a larger, more powerful subwoofer, or multiple subwoofers if you're able to save up in between.

I agree that the $750 price range is likely where you want to be in terms of getting enough bass output for your room size, but still keeping the price somewhat reasonable.

HSU VTF-3 MK4

Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX

SVSound PB12-NSD or PC12-NSD

Those all fall into that range. And then going a bit more expensive:

Power Sound Audio XV15

or the really big guns:

HSU VTF-15H

If your budget is truly flexible, then sky's the limit! But you're rather limited by your AV Receiver, and you've expressed a desire to keep the price relatively low, so this is the way I would recommend going. Splurge on the subwoofer(s). Go for highly efficient speakers.

Hope that helps!

hmd666

hmd666

Enthusiast
OK, thanks all for your answers, it's really helpful considering i'm a newbie.

But reading your answers makes me ask a question, maybe i'm wrong since the beginning . Though you give some solutions, but does it really worth it to upgrade only speakers with my receiver ? Or my receiver is too "poor" and it would be better for me to wait more, save more money and buy a full new system ? Or maybe buying right now better speakers with the goal of changing the receiver much later ("much later", is right in english ? I'm french ;-) )

Once again thanks a lot every one for your precious help.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
OK, thanks all for your answers, it's really helpful considering i'm a newbie.

But reading your answers makes me ask a question, maybe i'm wrong since the beginning . Though you give some solutions, but does it really worth it to upgrade only speakers with my receiver ? Or my receiver is too "poor" and it would be better for me to wait more, save more money and buy a full new system ? Or maybe buying right now better speakers with the goal of changing the receiver much later ("much later", is right in english ? I'm french ;-) )
How much can you spend at once - also for one on a tight budget,
you do not need to spend $750 on a subwoofer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis