Onkyo Extended Warranty, anyone have it?

02Lightning

Enthusiast
I have the TX-NR-1009 and I can get the extended warranty for $85. I was just wondering if I should get it. Any thoughts?

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
I would purchase it if its a good deal.
Onkyo's quality has taken a nosedive in the past year.
I just took my 807 in for the second time in two months for the well known no speaker icon no sound issue.
Read the "Is Onkyo producing junk these days thread"
Did you purchase by credit card?If you did,maybe ypur C.C. company will have an extra year warranty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm gonna have to say..................stay away from Onkyo & refurbished Denon.:eek:

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic

I couldn't help myself from posting this based on the Onkyo thread. It's intended as a joke only and in no way meant to offend the OP or anyone else. Also, if you don't know why I am saying this, carry on :)

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
Check what the aftersales service is like with Onkyo in your area.
If its bad, dont bother with the warranty, just get a new amp if it breaks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I couldn't help myself from posting this based on the Onkyo thread. It's intended as a joke only and in no way meant to offend the OP or anyone else. Also, if you don't know why I am saying this, carry on :)
Was that from Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade where the Knight says "You have chosen....poorly"?:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Check what the aftersales service is like with Onkyo in your area.
If its bad, dont bother with the warranty, just get a new amp if it breaks.
I have to agree. I would not even bother buying the extended warranty. If it breaks, another excuse to buy a brand new Denon.:D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't loose any sleep but then according to the forum echo chamber I have the only 4 perfectly working Onkyos on the planet. :p

The latest models were redesigned including the addition of a fan to help cure the major complaint which was excessive heat but only time will tell how they do down the road. I didn't buy an extended warranty for my 809 (or 606, 707, and 906) but that 1009 was expensive and if it makes you feel more comfortable then I'd buy the extended warranty. $85 to add two more years isn't a whole lot of money if it saves you from post purchase anxiety.

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't loose any sleep but then according to the forum echo chamber I have the only 4 perfectly working Onkyos on the planet. :p
My 875 is still working great after using a 200mm fan on top since I bought it.
I think that the lack of a fan is probably all that is wrong with most of them.

But its very hard to ignore the diabolical customer service they have demonstrated.
If you have a problem, its likely to be very costly, frustrating, time consuming and fruitless.
This will be my last Onkyo purchase, despite being very happy with my 875.
I'm not a sucker for punishment.

02Lightning

Enthusiast
Mine has two built in fans and doesn't get that hot and the last Onkyo I had to 15+ years old with not problems. But I did order a fan for this new one.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
When I get offered an extended warranty my first question to the sales person is why? In other words your telling me I am buying junk.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I get offered an extended warranty my first question to the sales person is why? In other words your telling me I am buying junk.
When I buy something at the store and they start "Sir, we also offer...."

I stop them right there by saying "No" before they even have a chance to finish their sentence. :D

02Lightning

Enthusiast
I do the same thing with warranties (never buy them), but with all the talk about these past models it may pay off if I have to have something fixed.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I do the same thing with warranties (never buy them), but with all the talk about these past models it may pay off if I have to have something fixed.
If you already know what you about to purchase is know to have problems, why would you even consider purchasing that product?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought you can only buy the extended warranty within 30 day of your AVR purchase?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I thought you can only buy the extended warranty within 30 day of your AVR purchase?
That's a store warranty or aftermarket warranty. A some manufacturers give you up until the day before the standard warranty expires to buy the extended warranty. From Onkyo's site.

Plan details:
  • One time fee - The one low fee you pay when you purchase a plan is the only fee you will have to pay to receive all the benefits of an extended warranty...no hidden fees or deductibles!
  • Extends the original manufacturer's warranty by 2 years. (excludes speakers and accessories)
  • Must be purchased during the term of the Standard Limited Warranty that accompanied the Product at the time of initial purchase
  • Product must be purchased from an Authorized Onkyo dealer and proof of purchase is required
  • Click here for details of the Extended Warranty Plan.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis