Onkyo DX-1500 CD player upgrades

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
It's a pretty major upgrade, considering it was dead when I got it.

However, because it arrived in my hands in a major malfunction, my instinct was to try to get it running. My initial guess was faulty tray close/open microswitches, but however I was brought to the conclusion that it wasn't the problem. I don't know what WAS wrong, whether it be the logic board, the laser assembly, or a tice clock touching it too long. :p

With this in mind, and not wanting to resurrect what looked to be a base model Onkyo CD Player, I pretty much gutted it all out. Now, I happened to save all the parts in case someone wants some parts on the cheap (and a few things still did work btw, like the VFD, and transformer at least, and the logic board and transport are in one piece.)

The new idea? :D
HTPC on the cheap :D

So far, everything has been cleared out to make room for the parts, which happens to be an older Asus motherboard with an Athlon XP processor, DVD ROM drive (because lets face it, some HTPC without DVD playback), and an Hitachi HD44780A00 display that I will rig up to the unsuspecting box.

So far, all that I really need is a smaller PSU which I can get for on the cheap, and a few more days to configure the Hitachi display to the computer.

I will post pictures tomorrow when my camera batteries recharge.

Please stay tuned: I am actually kind of excited as to what other people's reactions will be like and what I can do to possibly make this better :)

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
errgh... need to get a smaller soldering iron... getting cold joints on my LCD display :mad:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You have to get pictures up, and you remember who gave you that player. I thought there was no hope for it, WRONG!

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Look At The Pretty Piccies

Heh. Whoring it out. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis