ONKYO Declines warranty don't buy it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I can't stand litigiousness.
Neither can I. I have absolutely hated every single time I have went to court. But what I hate more is being forced to that option. Thank whomever but so far I am 7 for 7.

It's fun when the judge catches the defendant in a blatant lie though. You and they know it's all over at that point.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
Visa offers extended warranty for purchases made with a visa card, and it doesn't have to be a corporate card. Not sure if it applies to all visa cards, but I think it does, I know it does with my Chase Amazon.com visa card. Maybe the OP can check with the credit card company to see if they offer some type of warranty protection, and could have it repaired that way.
Never thought about that. Thank you.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
litigiousness.
I've heard that word before but have never seen it typed out.
Now that I've seen it; it just looks dirty, I'm glad I was able to decipher the meaning before trying to sleep tonite. :)

I'm having trouble taking sides on this.

My limited dealing with Onkyo's CS has not been pleasant for either side.
But I can somewhat see their stance on the fact that it was, on the surface, a corporate transaction.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
I got a 7,500 Pioneer RPTV for 1099 on a misprinted ad, a 700.00 Sony HTIB for 99.00 on false advertsiing picture and two Monster AVS2000SS retail 1799.00/ea for 299.00/ea all by contacting their states Attorney General. When those companies wanted to argue with me. Include proof with disputes.
Waov man. Congrats. I wish I'd keep my records etc. Live and learn.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
It makes me laugh and roll my eyes a bit when people gripe about customer service. I've had a handful of wonderful experiences with ONKYO.

No matter how bad customer service might be, the customer as a whole will always be worse. I HATE how some customers treat the folks behind a service desk and expect to be treated with respect.

OP, I appreciate your efforts to warn us about your experience and while it sucks for you, you're not in the right. You had access to the warranty information before your purchase, and under the circumstances of the purchase, your warranty period was made clear. How in the world is that ONKYO's fault?

The continuous use part has no bearing whatsoever in this case. The "commercial" part is what applied to you. You bought it with a company card, and shipped it to your company. What other deduction can be made by a manufacturer? If they want to handle each and every situation as an anomaly, then we can expect to pay a whole lot more for product.

Sorry about your situation, but no chance it stands up in court and no way your gonna sway the onkyo faithful.
Good for you, keep buying onkyo.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
If that is an exact cut and paste of her email reply I am appalled that Onkyo has such a semi-literate individual representing them. Evidently - the you English is not was her is native language written manor. ;) :eek:
Exact cut and paste.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Well keeping the records was the easy part. I would see an ad and think (bait and switch) and go to the store to see how bad they were and sure enough they tried to screw me over it's at this point I fill out a form online, print it out and send it to the states AG.

The Pioneer was a blatent bait and switch. 1099 on a 7,500 TV c'mon, this store was having an end of year sale and I got to the store five minutes before it opened and they said they would have 4 of these TV's at this price. Granted there were only 6 or 7 in line when the store opened and all of us wanted the TV, well I talked to 5 different salesmen and got five vastly different stories on why those TV's weren't there (now this is one minute after the store opens and they have none of the advertised TV's (but they have plenty of the newer models at 7,700 for sale. So I took all five business cards, asked for the managers phone number (he wasnt in the store) and tried to call him three times and got the usual BS response So a letter to the AG and five weeks later the owner of the company offers me the latest model, a five year warranty and free delivery if I will drop the complaint.

The Sony HTIB was a present for my twin sister. Fry's had an ad for a 99.00 HTIB system but showed a picture of a Sony HTIB system (retail like 699.00) I get to Fry's and they say the model number listed is for some no name brand POS. I argue with the salesman that they show a picture of the Sony system and you can clearly see "Sony", salesman tells me "tough luck" a letter to the AG and a few weeks later the manager of the store is pleading with me to buy the Sony at 99.00 and drop the complaint. Twin sister got a nifty present that year.

The Monster AVS2000SS were bought online at Circuit City, but lo and behold even though the sale was completed, and said shipping (for two weeks) I never got it. I called Circuit City corporate HQ in Virginia and got the runaround and then I called MonsterCable corporate and a letter to the AG, two weeks later, the president of CC is calling me telling me they found two AVS2000SS and we're shipping them to me (they even refunded my shipping charges and sent me a 100.00 gift card)

But when I sent the complaints I included the advertisements clearly circled what was advertised and how the company screwed me over. With the Monster I included a copy of my completed transaction and all the reps names I talked to when inquiring about my lost voltage regulators. the states AG is very good in swaying companies to abide by the law and settle the matter.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
This is probably a numbers game that most companies play. They threaten not to cover the product assuming the buyer will do nothing and go away. But chances are if you actually file in small claims court the will probably go ahead and service the unit because sending a lawyer to small claims court would be more money and bad press. Companies play this game year in and year out.

I would at least see if you can get a lawyer to look at your situation and see what they have to say.
Naaah. I appreciate it, but my time is important too. I rather bark here and there and share my experience. I already bought a whole new set of Pioneer Elite series TV, Receiver and BD and got rid of the other P.O.S. (I spend $450 to get it fixed first) I just wanna show them a power of consumer. Called newegg which my company spends 200K a year with them, and asked them how come I am not notified about my CC usage and the affects of billing shipping etc. and how come I only got 90 days warranty. They have inspection department. So they are working on it too. They advertise 2 years on onkyo and who reads the fine exclusions? and who is not gonna buy because of the exclusions? apparently all companies has them. it was onkyo's decision to use it or not. That where a good or bad company stands. Yamaha, pioneer or any other company could easily blame the same thing. They never did. They could check your billing address and see if there is any business associated with it and then may void the warranty. I mean as long as they want to, there is no escape for us. Thats where the good and bad company splits.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
Never thought about that. Thank you.
Actually when you think about it, AMEX would pretty pissed off if they know the manufacturer knocking down the warranty to 90 days when it used by company card. hmmm.. Thanks for this.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Actually when you think about it, AMEX would pretty pissed off if they know the manufacturer knocking down the warranty to 90 days when it used by company card. hmmm.. Thanks for this.
Was just talking to my wife about this, given that she works for Amex. She's saying that if an Amex card is involved here, whether you could apply their warranty totally depends on the specific terms that you have with your corporate account. She says that corporate cards are not as cut-and-dried as personal cards when it comes to these types of terms- it all depends on how you've set up your specific account.

So they are working on it too. They advertise 2 years on onkyo and who reads the fine exclusions? and who is not gonna buy because of the exclusions? apparently all companies has them. it was onkyo's decision to use it or not. That where a good or bad company stands. Yamaha, pioneer or any other company could easily blame the same thing. They never did. They could check your billing address and see if there is any business associated with it and then may void the warranty. I mean as long as they want to, there is no escape for us. Thats where the good and bad company splits.
This is where we greatly disagree. It is the responsibility of the consumer to understand all warranties and their exclusions. All A/V companies clearly post warranties all over their websites (pick a company, you can find their warranty data within 3 minutes). I believe that any other company (e.g. Yamaha, Pioneer) would have made the same decision that Onkyo made given the factset that you provided.

All of that said, I hope you're able to get something back from Onkyo considering you did purchase and use the items for your own home. Best of luck to you in this endeavor.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
As somebody who has carries a corporate card for my job, we've always been told not to use that card for purchases related to corporate activities.
Not sure I understand this if it is written correctly:confused:
If you have a corporate credit card where would you use it to charge on it, for what reason if not corporate business?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
No problem, keep us posted on what happens.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
Oh yeah, this experience is not been forgotten.
Meantime, I still continuously use my Pioneer Elite receiver and Plasma TV with no problem for years after years..
Cheers . :)
Naaah. I appreciate it, but my time is important too. I rather bark here and there and share my experience. I already bought a whole new set of Pioneer Elite series TV, Receiver and BD and got rid of the other P.O.S. (I spend $450 to get it fixed first) I just wanna show them a power of consumer. Called newegg which my company spends 200K a year with them, and asked them how come I am not notified about my CC usage and the affects of billing shipping etc. and how come I only got 90 days warranty. They have inspection department. So they are working on it too. They advertise 2 years on onkyo and who reads the fine exclusions? and who is not gonna buy because of the exclusions? apparently all companies has them. it was onkyo's decision to use it or not. That where a good or bad company stands. Yamaha, pioneer or any other company could easily blame the same thing. They never did. They could check your billing address and see if there is any business associated with it and then may void the warranty. I mean as long as they want to, there is no escape for us. Thats where the good and bad company splits.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Sorry to read you too had a Bad experience with Onkyo Customer Service.... I have TX-SR805 that had issues several times in it's 3 year life span. Nice looking door stop now. When the front display went out we had a hard time with Customer Service too, had to pay for freight and wait weeks and weeks to have it fixed under warranty. Firmware upgrades...what a joke.Customer Service said send it to us if you do firmware upgrade void warranty. I can see that their point on that one. Fried HDMI parts and I never stacked on it and it had 6" of top vent space at end of warranty, another 6 weeks of no HD AVR.:mad: Four months later (warranty is out now) it fries HDMI parts again..... contacted Customer Service again......too bad warranty is out.
Not sure I would purchase another AVR from them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis