ONKYO Declines warranty don't buy it.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
I assume you meant "consumer products" and you were looking at specific units. Yamaha at minimum also sells pro/commercial gear (I believe all separates).
The ONKYOS clause says "continuous use" thats tricky. The receiver should be made to run forever. Why do they have TV outs? why do they have gaming inputs, to watch tv, listen music, play game, I mean, if somebody is in the house no matter what you do, that receiver should be on ! period. Are you sure all of those companies have same clause regarding "continuous"use?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Think about it this way:

It's the courts opinion, not Onkyos' that counts. BOTTOM LINE.

Does ANYONE really think that a court would find it not reasonable for someone to receive a package at work vs home so they could take personal possession of the item vs letting it sit on a porch all day?

I have been in small claims 7 times in 11 years and can tell you that you will most likely have a sympathetic ear.

That and the fact the Onkyo is required by law to hire an attorney to represent them will exert pressure on them to give you back your $$. Their cost on a receiver is less than the 3 hours they are going to have to pay an attorney.
I suggest you contact this manager and inform him of your intent to take this matter to small claims court.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
What if you run a business out of your home and use the receiver continuously throughout the day, every day... would that void the warranty?

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I assume you meant "consumer products" and you were looking at specific units. Yamaha at minimum also sells pro/commercial gear (I believe all separates).
Read the rest of my post- the last line of it said:

"These were the first 5 companies that popped into my head... but it seems quite common that for home electronics products, these companies have very limited warranties for commercial usage."

I took this warranty data from their sections on consumer products. I'm assuming for commercial products the terms would be different.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

This says nothing about purchasing on a Credit Card, Check, or Cash. In it's most basic form we are simply talking about payment. Not use.

Onkyo would have to have something more. Citing the payment method or ship to is just circumstantial. Since the service center declined to look at it, Onkyo doesn't even have the say so of a qualified bench tech as to the units condition.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you- looking from the perspective of the company, if an item is purchased with a business credit card and shipped to a business, I believe it is reasonable for the company to assume that it is being used for commercial purposes. On this basis, the company has denied the warranty claim.

I'm no judge, but I believe a court may put the burden of proof on the consumer to show that it was only used for personal purposes.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you- looking from the perspective of the company, if an item is purchased with a business credit card and shipped to a business, I believe it is reasonable for the company to assume that it is being used for commercial purposes. On this basis, the company has denied the warranty claim.

I'm no judge, but I believe a court may put the burden of proof on the consumer to show that it was only used for personal purposes.
That is why I mentioned that you bring a witness that has been to your house and experienced the in home use of the product. If you can't do that then maybe indeed it was used at your business. I was trying to make a point with that specific statement.

I know I have had friends over many times to watch a movie/game/whatever that could vouch for my setup being used in home.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Also if you have any pictures of your gear setup in your house, that would probably help.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
This is what I posted a while back to lazy to type it again.
Here's what you do for next receiver you buy, take pictures of you using it at home with captions saying here I am watching a movie and here I am playing video games.

I love copy and paste.

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
This is of great concern to me. I have all my gear shipped to my business due to the fact most require a signature on delivery. Good luck with your battle!

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

This is of great concern to me. I have all my gear shipped to my business due to the fact most require a signature on delivery. Good luck with your battle!
I would only be worried if A) You're the owner of the business, and B) you're using a corporate credit card for purchase. Otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I forwarded this thread to my contact at Onkyo. I hope this helps.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern

I think its still escape route. Lets say, you are dealing with company like ONKYO and $7000 plasma screen burned out. If company blames you for "continuous use" how could you prove that wasn't the case? what is the fine details of "continuous use" And why would continous use would break the damn thing? So the exclusion #14 which is "continuous or commercial" use clause is, if company chooses not to repair and they don't give a damn about you, they can easily first check where its shipped, how its paid, booooom. now otherwise.. (which I will change all my shippings and billings to my name only) otherwise. they will say its not covered since the machine continuously used.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Did you write a letter or email to Onkyo corporate offices? Sometimes it's not how loud you complain but who you complain to.....Just a thought.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not yet. I am thinking about it tho. They should make it clear these stupid policies.
Actually, unless Newegg enhances the original warranty, all they can really do is enforce the manufacturer's warranty which is posted on the site of every manufacturer I can think of.

highfigh

highfigh

Complaining loudly rarely gets the desired results and I have dealt with many manufacturers about product failures, denied claims, other people who yelled at the warranty/service department people and all kinds of other situations. I have been incredibly PO'd at times but unless the person on the other end is unreasonable, I make a point of not yelling at them. First, they're usually just going by company policy and are trained to color inside of the lines. Second, They don't have the authority to do much, other than read from their book of solutions. In a case like this, it's best to remain calm and ask for a supervisor, telling them that the only reason you paid with the company card is that you just wanted to use that one instead of another. If it was for personal use, tell them this and explain that you don't need a receiver at your place of business.

From the Onkyo site, "#14. Products used continuously or for commercial applications. Onkyo products are intended for consumer use and are not designed for continuous or commercial use. In the event that the products concerned have been used commercially or continuously, the warranty period is limited to 90 days from the date of purchase."

They probably told you this but it doesn't help your case.

Is this receiver the kind that connects to a network? If it is, it may still show the IP address, which probably wouldn't match the ones at work.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
I would only be worried if A) You're the owner of the business, and B) you're using a corporate credit card for purchase. Otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem.
These machines used much more at our homes than if it was used in businesses. I don't get it, I never will. And why couldn't you order with corporate credit card? Lets say this equipment used in a corporations meeting room for presentations? You get 90 days warranty because its ordered by and shipped to that business?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

What if you run a business out of your home and use the receiver continuously throughout the day, every day... would that void the warranty?
They would have a hard time proving that it was used continuously, no?:D
And, that brings up the definition of 'continuous.' Is it 24/7? 12/7? 12/5 or greater? 4hrs 5 days a week?:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The ONKYOS clause says "continuous use" thats tricky. The receiver should be made to run forever. Why do they have TV outs? why do they have gaming inputs, to watch tv, listen music, play game, I mean, if somebody is in the house no matter what you do, that receiver should be on ! period. Are you sure all of those companies have same clause regarding "continuous"use?
May want to ask them to define 'continuous' operation. ;):D
Then, as suggested, I'd get some employees statements that it was not in use at work, statements from family and friends that it was in home use and file a small claims court action against the Onkyo. Not sure where you'd have to file or serve the papers at though. May not be worth it?

htgeek

htgeek

Enthusiast
Yeah customer service isn't what it used to be from pretty much any CE manufacturer. I have always had good experiences with Onkyo product,service and tech support. Also I get extended warranties for all my equipment, just because I know if something dose go wrong after manufacturer warranty is up that I'm covered. It sucks they have loop holes, but they hire million dollar liers,I mean layers, just for that purpose. Let's face it alot of people are not honest, so when one of us has a legit claim now we have to prove it. It sucks but that's the nature of this beast. I fought with Panasonic for almost a year over a bunk projector so I know the frustration of dealing with big corporations.I think they got so sick of hearing from me they finally conceded and gave me a new one,also had to send it in 3 times for repairs, it's policy. You know what I bought a Panasonic BD and plasma after that whole ordeal because I still like there product. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis