Onkyo 801 for a newbie?

T

TSmith8779

Audiophyte
Wow, what a forum! I'm a newbie, and am grateful to have found this. I've got an older 5.1 mostly Sony system that I'm beginning to ready for an ongoing major overhaul. The rear surrounds no longer work on the receiver, so I'm going to start with that. The system now is in a smaller room, and I'm powering a older JBL Sat 20 surround speaker system. I also have the surrounds from a JBL Sat 1 that could be used for rear speakers in a 7.1 enviroment. It will be used mostly for movies. The upgrading is going to be a long project, and the speakers may be the next component to be switched.

One of the deciding factors in chosing the 801 is the net radio/streaming feature. I live in a valley, and receiving commercial AM/FM is almost impossisble. At this point I do not wish to pay a subscription to satellite radio. In addition to being able to listen to net radio, I do have an extensive collection of music that is only on my hard drive, and could be streamed into the 801.

It seems that most of the people on here are divided into two camps: Denon and Yamaha...with a sprinkling of Pioneer and HK. I'd like to hear from the people that know, and or have had experience with the Onkyo 801, and maybe even entertain some speaker suggestions (think small and probably under $1500). Budget is very tight.

I appreciate all the suggestions and help.

Thank you,

Tom

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome :D (yeah, like I've been here a long time :rolleyes: )

If it's network capability you're looking for, without additional hardware, the 801 is pretty much it, since the 901 costs more.

The 801 is probably way overkill for a small satellite system, but if the plan is to upgrade those eventually also, the 801 should be a great place to start.

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
Check out BIC America's Venturi speakers

TSmith8779 said:
...and maybe even entertain some speaker suggestions (think small and probably under $1500). Budget is very tight....
I received some very good recommendations from this site to check out BIC America for speakers, and I wound up buying them (I haven't received them yet, but I post my review once I've had them for a while). If you need all bookshelf speakers, you could get 4 DV62si for the fronts and surrounds, and a DV62CLR center and the V1220 sub. You could also get 3 DV62CLRs for the fronts and center, 2 DV62si for the surrounds and the V1220 sub. Or, if you have room for floor standers, you could substitute the DV64s or DV84s for the fronts. In any case, this will run from about $550 to $750 shipped, depending on how big you want to go on the fronts.

As for Onkyo - I am a big fan myself, and may get the Tx-SR702 as my AVR (I am kind of down to the Onkyo TX-SR702, Yamaha RX-V2500 or the Marantz SR7500). For me, Lip-sync is the one feature that the Yamaha and Marantz have that the Onkyo doesn't. I have to figure out how important that feature is going to be, based on my display selection. If I conclude I don't need it, I'll probably go with the Onkyo. If I think it's something I need, I'll need to decide between the Yamaha and the Marantz.

Anyway - good luck with your decision

M

msconfig

Audiophyte
onk vs yammy vs pioneer

ONKYO TX-NR801 vs PIONEER VSX-1015TXK vs yamaha RX-V2500
I've tried my best to narrow down to my 3 fav. mid range receivers... (some reason I can't go for the Denon) I really need some help with making a choice -- I almost bought the onk 702 last week from j&r it was a refirb for $399 -- feeling sorry I didn't -- but something held me back.....

OK Questions
1.for the Pioneer owners/lovers -- how much of a difference does teh thx select2 make on the VSX1015 -- how does it hold its own -- noticed that teh THD was a 0.08 -- double that of the yamy.... (price wise it is almost half the cost)

2. onk -- does it hold its own against the 2500??? it has some great features (rj45 connector and all) and I do love onkyo's and I've read some awesome reviews about the onk800

3. I'm really leaning towards the yammy as you can see but does the YPAO really work that great?? and is it really the best choice head on with the others?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
msconfig said:
ONKYO TX-NR801 vs PIONEER VSX-1015TXK vs yamaha RX-V2500
I've tried my best to narrow down to my 3 fav. mid range receivers... (some reason I can't go for the Denon) I really need some help with making a choice -- I almost bought the onk 702 last week from j&r it was a refirb for $399 -- feeling sorry I didn't -- but something held me back.....

OK Questions
1.for the Pioneer owners/lovers -- how much of a difference does teh thx select2 make on the VSX1015 -- how does it hold its own -- noticed that teh THD was a 0.08 -- double that of the yamy.... (price wise it is almost half the cost)

2. onk -- does it hold its own against the 2500??? it has some great features (rj45 connector and all) and I do love onkyo's and I've read some awesome reviews about the onk800

3. I'm really leaning towards the yammy as you can see but does the YPAO really work that great?? and is it really the best choice head on with the others?

Trying making this its own post, I dont want to hi-jack this thread, but I was like you and deciding between the Yamy 2500 1500 and the Pioneer 1015tx. the Select 2 is neat, I really can't comment on whether its "better" than just select b/c I've never had a THX receiver before, but if you look at my signature you'll know which one I ended up with. For the money it can't be beat, and even double the cost its right up there with the 2500. I just figured I'd spend some more money on the rest of the system and buy a receiver that was worth more for the money.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
LOUMFSG said:
As for Onkyo - I am a big fan myself, and may get the Tx-SR702 as my AVR (I am kind of down to the Onkyo TX-SR702, Yamaha RX-V2500 or the Marantz SR7500). For me, Lip-sync is the one feature that the Yamaha and Marantz have that the Onkyo doesn't. I have to figure out how important that feature is going to be, based on my display selection. If I conclude I don't need it, I'll probably go with the Onkyo.
My thoughts exactly. I postponed my purchase of the 702 to see if the 703 will add lip-sync. In my experience, Onkyo makes incremental changes to their lineup each year. Typically they migrate features from the higher numbered receivers down into the lower numbered receivers each year. The 801 has lip-sync so there is a good possibility the 703 (due Sept??) will get it this time around.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis