M

mbpros

Audiophyte
I have an Onkyo 606 receiver that was set up with my cable box and DVD player. Yesterday I had HDMI cables run (in place of the builder grade cables when house was built)....I had someone set up the connections between my Comcast cable box and also my LG BD-570 Blu-Ray player with the Onkyo receiver...BUT the blu-ray player does not work. When I turn it on with my Harmony remote I see the LG logo on the TV for a few seconds, then it goes away and I can't get to the home menu or anything. Then today the cable doesn't work at all. BUT if I bypass the Onkyo and connect directly to the blu-ray player, it works fine. AND if I bypass the Onkyo and connect directly to the cable box, it works fine also (except of course I lose the surround sound). The A/V guy who set this up yesterday can't figure it out since the Onkyo worked fine with component cables before, but won't work now with the HDMI cables...even though settings are all correct on the Onkyo.

Any thoughts or help????

Steve

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an Onkyo 606 receiver that was set up with my cable box and DVD player. Yesterday I had HDMI cables run (in place of the builder grade cables when house was built)....I had someone set up the connections between my Comcast cable box and also my LG BD-570 Blu-Ray player with the Onkyo receiver...BUT the blu-ray player does not work. When I turn it on with my Harmony remote I see the LG logo on the TV for a few seconds, then it goes away and I can't get to the home menu or anything. Then today the cable doesn't work at all. BUT if I bypass the Onkyo and connect directly to the blu-ray player, it works fine. AND if I bypass the Onkyo and connect directly to the cable box, it works fine also (except of course I lose the surround sound). The A/V guy who set this up yesterday can't figure it out since the Onkyo worked fine with component cables before, but won't work now with the HDMI cables...even though settings are all correct on the Onkyo.

Any thoughts or help????

Steve
I suspect that the repeater architecture on your HDMI board in your Onkyo does not work. A TV being an end device is not required to have repeater architecture. The repeater architecture of cable boxes is always suspect as they are not HDCP certified. However your BD player is a certified device, which leads me to suspect your receiver has a fault. The Onkyo is also certified.

Try different cables. Make sure you have HDMi enabled on all units in the set up menu.

See if you can get hold of another HDMI certified device and see if that works. If it does then the problem is you cable box and BD player. If another certified device does not work, then your Onkyo is faulty.

HDCP handshakes are a headache, but you will need to use HDMI to hear the loss less codecs.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Please name your display model. For instance, previous Panasonic plasmas had FW released for the specific issue of Onkyo compatibility.

The FW release does not currently state it, as it's now a newer FW I believe, addressing new issues, such as Amazon streaming. I am speaking of the models such as G10, G15, V10, etc.

Is the bluray player's FW up to date? It probably doesn't matter, but I am curious.

If the display is not a Pana, you can confirm TLS' suspicion of the Onkyo by trying a different BDP. Using a cable box is not conclusive evidence to me.

M

mbpros

Audiophyte
FW updated

I did update the firmware on the LG Blu-Ray...and my TV is a Sony Bravia.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis