Onkyo 606 - No subwoofer sound (PLEASE HELP)

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Hi - I bought Onkyo 606 sometime back along with Paradigm 110 Cinema. Finally, I got around connecting everything together. I am not getting anything from the sub-woofer. The rest of the speakers are connected using Monoprice purchased speaker wires via banana plugs. The sub-woofer however has a L & R connection and my Onkyo has 1 single OUT marked for sub-woofer. So, I purchased a RCA jack 1 Male 2 Female adapter, to which I connected a 2 RCA cable and the other end to the woofer. Zilch - I am getting NO sound whatsoever. There's a green light glowing in front of subwoofer, verified subwoofer = yes in Onkyo but still nothing - absolutely no sound.

Few other observations being - after some time, the woofer goes DHUP, DHUP sound every 5 min or so even when the RCA cables are NOT connected. I am terribly worried. Sometime I get a deep hum when I put my ears on the subwoofer. Can someone please help me out here, what could be the problem. Everything's new.

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Anyone?

Sorry to be a bother and extreme apologies for asking the same question also in the "Loudspeaker" forum, but I really, really want to connect everything, run Audessey and then have everything setup.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It is not necessary to connect both inputs on the subwoofer but doing so won't hurt anything, it simply increases the voltage slightly and will result in a slightly higher level signal being sent to the sub. Usually subs say to use the Left input if you have a single pre-out from the receiver.

A couple of things to verify:

- Make sure you connect the RCA cable to the subwoofer pre-out on the receiver. A common mistake is to connect it to the subwoofer output of the multi-channel analaog outputs.

- Some subs have both 'LFE' inputs and normal line-level inputs and you can switch between the two with either a switch on the sub or sometimes by using the one that is specificallly marked 'LFE'.

You want to use the LFE input. The difference is simply whether the sub performs the crossover duty or the receiver does it. Since you will be using Audyssey to calibrate the channel levels (or even if you do it manually with the receiver's test tones) you want the receiver to do the crossover.

- After running Audyssey check the speaker setup menus to see whether it set your speakers to 'Large' (Full Band) or 'Small'. They should all be set to Small. Note that recent Onkyo models don't use the terminology Large and Small and instead you just specify a xover frequency. Any speakers set to Full Band should be changed to a specific xover - 80 Hz is usually a good starting point.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Set the Cinema 110s to 100 Hz in the speaker setup. LPF - 120 Hz. Double Bass - Off. Set the sub gain to half or less, set the x-over to max. One cable should be sufficient.

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Set the Cinema 110s to 100 Hz in the speaker setup. LPF - 120 Hz. Double Bass - Off. Set the sub gain to half or less, set the x-over to max. One cable should be sufficient.
Okay I got the sub gain to half or less but beat my DUMBO brain - where's this x-over to max?

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Finally, personally I feel the sub-woofer has a problem. Why? It's connected to power outlet. RCA cable connection is removed. After 15 or so min, it starts going DHUP .. 3 min. ... another DHUP. I can't describe it, it's an extremely low decibel boom as if from my basement someone's beating some stud-wall, etc.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If this is a PDR series model, max is 150 Hz. Make sure the sub channel level in the receiver is set at 0dB or higher. The manual states to use the right input on the sub.

It may be a bad amp in the sub.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Some subs will not switch from standby to on automatically using just one LFE input. I used to have a Velodyne like that and you had to use a Y splitter and connect to both inputs LFE, or just flip the switch to one when you wanted to use it.

Follow the advice other have given and then go into the receiver's manual speaker level setup and cycle through speakers and see if any sound comes out of the sub. Play with its volume if you have to. If the sub is working then make sure not to stereo play music in direct mode. Direct mode disables the sub and routes all sound to the mains.

Last edited:
B

bmninada

Audioholic
I ran Audessey on my Onkyo today. After all got over, I checked setup -> sp. configuration and saw Aud. has auto set all the x-overs, distances, etc. Then, I turned bass to +10 dB, I had to set LFE to 120 Hz (max allowed). Then and only then only when I put my ears to the sub-woofer can I detect some sound, i.e the bass playing. I had Paradigm same model earlier, it has a deep bass. I am getting ZILCH. Sound is coming - but extremely low, hardly audible. There's no boom whatsoever. The sub-woofer has 2 inputs as I stated - L & R. If I switch my input RCA to "R", then nada everything goes silent - the sub-woofer absolutely becomes quiet. My x-overs as set by Audessey is front: 100Hz., center: 120Hz and surround: 150Hz. Yes, I removed DIRECT and switch on All channels mode.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Audessey doesn't always get things right. I use it to get close and then I use a tape measure and rat-shack sound pressure meter to fine tune.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis