B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Let's start with the basics, I am not an expert nor am I an audiophile. I am a former car audio installer and I have had the pleasure of sampling a very wide range of mobile audio products.

My expirience with home equipment is pretty limited, though I would think that the price range these speakers are in, most people would probably have or had similar equipment to mine.

These speakers are ultimately replacing two different systems that had been in this room.

One is a small cd player satellite set with a set of altec lansing sats and sub connected to the aux outs.

The other is a Sony 935 attached to some horrible Sony bookshelves.

The purpose of this setup is pretty simple, play music from Rhapsody. Not a particularly hard task, and usually this music is set up as background to cooking, cleaning etc... not hardcore listening.

That has changed!

The speakers arrived today and were neatly placed under my porch for when my wife arrived home. I had to work a little late so I didnt get the pleasure of lugging them upstairs (whew!). The av123 procedure was followed even though these were ordered as B-stock. Double boxes, cloth bagged speakers.

As I pulled them out I knew they were different and special already. Very substantial size and weight for a bookshelf. The finish is smooth, they feel and look way more expensive than they are. Oh and for the B-stock, I think I have seen worse blemishes on A-stock speakers of other brands before...very nice and hardly noticable at all.

I set them up, loaded Rhapsody and started with Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" Maybe it had been too long since I listened, LISTENED to music, but the expirience was moving. When the acoustic solo started at the beginning I got chills. When the vocals came in, dead center, thick yet mellow...more shivers. When all the other instruments came in, a tear of joy!

Several other songs followed. Each one as impressive as the last. Bass is not huge, but present, tight and accurate. Heck, watching the speakers move, they look more like a machine than a resonating cone, so precise, no slop.

My wife said "You keep expecting something bad to happen when they are this loud, but they keep sounding good and getting better the louder you get"

If this is what $199 is supposed to sound like then I have thrown away thousands in the past.

I cannot wait to hear what $2400 av123 bucks sounds like...I simply cannot fathom it.

I started listening to these around 9:00pm, it is now 11:43 and I just got off the couch to write this...they are that good.

I have listened to Floyd, the Dead, Peaches, King Missile, Ween, Tori Amos, Portishead, and pretty much every type and genre in between.

No complaints yet.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'm sorry I missed this when it was posted a couple months ago. My experience with AV123 is limited to their Onix SP3 & Onix Ref 1 speakers, but I'll say flat out that those products have no business being sold as cheaply as they are! Onix' speakers are built to a level of fit & finish that, in all honesty, you don't usually see for multiples of their price.

Nice review, btw!:)

Matt34

Matt34

I'm going to order a pair here very soon so I can get in on all the buzz about these speakers.

G

GreenJelly

Banned
Sounds like a good low price speakers. Its hard to tell without direct compairisons. Id be interested in what the better audo magazines rate these.

As far as the best speakers on the market; its really about personal opinions. Yet the best new speakers are the B&W speaker systems, and are relatively inexpensive for a 5.1 channel setup. $2-3K for a great sounding system.

If you dont mind buying used speakers, I would recommend the thiel brand, though they are more money and require a 4 ohm powersource which is hard to find. The price on these used speakers are great.

I fear no used speakers. Why? Because you can always order a replacement drivers on an exchange basis. If you cant replace them yourself your local supporting dealer will do it for you, and unless they are stingy they shouldnt charge you for the replacement instillations.

My Thiel CS.5's are around 1,450 New, and replacement base drivers cost about $120 for a pair. Used they are under $800 at a retailer, and if you find a private seller you can get them for allot less.

The last set that seems to be of high praise is Paradigm, though the personally dont raise the hair on the back of my neck like the B&W and Thiels.

There are many other speakers out there, and everyone has a different opinion on which are best. Magazine Reviews spend allot of time testing the speakers in a more scientific way. They play tones, then record the response with a Microphone. The difference can then be compaired and the product can be unbias in their review.

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis