Once again: what are you listening to now?

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Phutureprimative- Sub Concious
and
Bluetech-Prima Materia

drybo

drybo

Audioholic Intern
Live DVD's

Talking Heads-Stop making sense/live
Pearl Jam- Traveling band/live
Led Zep-How the west was won/live
Music for monserat-live Knoppfler,clapton, mcartney...
Yes- live house of blues
jethro Tull-live
Woodstock '99 (Worth it for the chili peppers version of hendrix "fire")
Paris concert-Page/Plant, ...
Bare naked ladies-live spectacle
Cream- live reunion
Eric Clapton and friends live
Bad Company live
Queen/Paul Rodgers live (we are the champions)
Rush in Rio

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
The Mars Volta * Amputechture (Umvd) Sep 12
Mars Volta had already left behind some of their audience by their second album. Francis The Mute (2005) was like their single-track Tales of Topographic Oceans. Which means that some people would herald it as genius while the rest of us would struggle to focus. It’s gratifying to hear the band tightening up, and so soon after their last album. This isn’t to say they’ve gone pop. Prog trainspotters can still identify bits of Yes, King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Van Der Graaf Generator in their sound. After a nice, atmospheric intro (it seems short, even though it’s 7:19), they get their biggest chunk-o-epic underway on the second track, the 16:39 “Tetragrammaton.” Despite its length, it really moves and takes you places, as does “Meccamputechture,” with its frenzied horns and electronics. “Viscera Eyes” contains the most monsterous riff in Mars Volta’s ouevre so far, classic-rock Led Zeppelin-size, topped with a gorgeous bass break six minutes in. This could actually go over big on the radio. It couldn’t happen to a better band.

Thom Yorke * The Eraser (Capitol)
There’s enough Radiohead freaks around that it should be no secret that Thom Yorke had been dabbling with electronica even before Radiohead. While there isn’t any recorded evidence of it that I’ve heard of, it’s come up in interviews. Similarly, The Buzzcocks’ Pete Shelley had recorded the Kraftwerk-influenced electronic album, Sky Zen way back in 1974. So punkers who were surprised by his 1981 synth pop album, Homosapien, should have known better. It was no Buzzcocks, but it was pretty good. The Eraser is not quite as radical a departure from Radiohead, and as an electronica album, it’s as good as anything else I’ve heard in the genre in recent years. It’s still pretty tuneful, especially when the intensity is turned up on the second half. “Atoms For Peace” is a highlight, as is “Harrodown Hill,” which asks some serious questions about the death of British weapons inspector David Kelly. Here Yorke seethes through clenched teeth, and his vocal performance subtly handles the tension with grace. Overall The Eraser is no masterpiece like some have proclaimed, nor a disappointment. It’s just a pleasant surprise that’s intruiging enough to hold us over ‘til the next Radiohead album.

Junior Boys * So This Is Goodbye (Domino) Sep 12
After the hype for their first album, Last Exit (2004) died down, it didn’t quite measure up to the claims of fusing Timbaland style beats with Talk Talk experimentation. Well, it did, but it wasn’t quite as perfect as it would seem in one’s imagination. Free of preconceptions, So This Is Goodbye is an improvement. The stuttering beats are scaled back, but the melodies are more memorable, and the production more satisfyingly lush. Songs like “The Equalizer” hum along like cool air conditioning, while “In The Morning” features some great breathy beat-box vocals. It’s the perfect album for watching the summer haze melt into autumn, chilled cocktail in hand.

CSS * Cansei De Ser Sexy (Sub Pop)
Named after a remark made by Beyonce (“tired of being sexy”), Brazil’s CSS are a lighthearted pastiche-pop band along the lines of Brazilian Girls or, going further back, Cibo Matto. Some tunes (“Let’s Make Love and Listen to Death from Above,” “Meeting Paris Hilton”) reek of sarcasm and topicality of a recycled Williamsburg electroclash group. But there’s enough wit, energy and variety, that they get away with it. Lovefoxx isn’t much of a singer, but her accented broken English are charming enough to carry the band. And there’s enough sonic tricks up their sleeves to surprise, like the fang-baring “Art*****,” which bangs and clangs like some late 70s NY no-wave. “Patins” is a pretty great piece of indie guitar rock. Of course none of this would work if they weren’t truly having fun with it all. “Music is my Hot, Hot Sex” is a totally sincere, anthemic celebration that mixes the infectiousness of Tom Tom Club with Gwen Stefani.

Lily Allen * Alright, Still (Regal)
There’s a lot of talk about Lilly Allen that has little to do with her music. Apparently it’s because she launched her career using Myspace, and she liberally posts on her blog (rarely a good idea for narcissistic musicians). I could give a rat’s ***. However annoying she might be in person, I don’t have to have her over for dinner. Thank god. Her album is filled with fabulous samples of Jamaican and Calypso riddims, witty lyrical turns, and something that none of her garage cronies have, a decent singing voice. “Smile,” “Knock ‘Em Out,” “Not Big” and “Friday Night” are all great, summery pop songs. Any lack of notable passion or depth is balanced by the lack of any real dud tracks.

Graham Coxon * Love Travels at Illegal Speeds (Parlophone)
What a stupid title. This is Coxon’s sixth solo album. Don’t feel bad if you didn’t know he was making albums—the first four are exceedingly inessential. By 2004’s Happiness In Magazines, the former Blur guitarist finally learned how to write songs again, and sounded less dated than his old band while he’s at it. Not that there’s anything original in this guitar pop. They’re simply terse, Buzzcocks-inspired pop songs about love and loss and alcohol. Perhaps mourning the loss of alcohol. Whatever they’re about, the tunes are a step up from the somewhat overrated comebacks by Cheap Trick and The New York Dolls.

Razorlight (Universal)
It’s hard to tell which is worse for a young British band trying to make an impact in the U.S. —being overhyped and then given a savage critical beatdown, or just being ignored. They pretty much got the worst of everything with no hype, and then were ignored. In the UK, Up All Night (2004) garnered solidly positive reviews, nothing hysterical, and then quietly sold a million copies. It was a great, if not groundbreaking, album of youthful passion and an homage to Patti Smith, the Voidoids and even Bruce Springsteen. The Yankees weren’t having any of it, and bludgeoned it ‘til hardly a quiver was left. I suspect some people are holding a personal vendetta against Johnny Borrell who reportedly has quite a mouth on him, boasting he’s better than Dylan during his first album. Guess I had to be there, but Dylan’s first album really wasn’t all that great, so what’s the big whoop? At any rate, the axes were sharpened even before the new album was released. Q declared Razorlight a timeless classic which is a bit hyperbolic. Stylus burned and buried it like it was toxic waste, which was pretty amusing. The lead-off single, “In The Morning” is very upbeat, poppy tune that’s good enough to generate plenty of anticipation. “Who Needs Love” maintains the intruige with another departure, spare, piano-driven Motown-style soul that reminds me of Crowded House. “Hold On” continues the spare rhythm. It’s a good tune, but I slowly realize what’s wrong. It doesn’t rock. At all. Razorlight lost their original drummer who went bananas all over Up All Night, and they’ve downgraded to mere time-keeping. “America” is truly horrid, with cringe-inducing lyrics and a sacharine melody. From there it’s a shaky, uphill recovery, with “Pop Song 2006” and “Kirby’s House” making up for that disasterous ballad. Overall it’s not a bad little pop album. But what made Razorlight special, the rock energy and sloppy romanticism and passion, are fading memories.

Mastodon * Blood Mountain (Reprise/WEA) Sep 12
I haven't had a chance to write about this yet, but it's awesome. It secures Mastodon's status as equals amongst the likes of Metallica and Slayer.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
Brave

Last week I purchased "Brave" by Marillion. It's a 1994 album that I've been meaning to listen for a while since I've heard/read very good reviews.
Usually when I get a new album, I listen to it ad nauseam for a few weeks, if I still like it after the torture ;) , it means it's a keeper to be played regularly. I have only had this cd for about 10 days, it seems it will achieve the keeper status.
I'm talking about the single disc, two channel audio CD.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Right now, in heavy rotation is...

Ghostface - Fishscale
It's Pretty Tone...how can you go wrong?

Isis - Oceanic
4 years old and still sounds fresh, still pummels.

The Long Winters - Putting the Days To Bed
Nice power pop, reminescent of The Wrens.

Helios - Eingya
Breaking away from the somber, piano work of his other project, Goldmund, Keith Kenniff indulges in his taste for electronica.

Isan - Plans Drawn in Pencil
Good background/mood-setting music.

Boris - Pink
So this is what Japanese sludge-metal sounds like? I'll take two.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Fastnbulbous...how'd you get Junior Boys and Mastodon already? I'm so in my local music store that Tuesday (as I am nearly every Tuesday) to pick those both up.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I've been listening to the new Alexisonfire album "Crisis" as of late.

Can't wait for tomorrow to pick it up.

SheepStar

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
corysmith01 said:
Fastnbulbous...how'd you get Junior Boys and Mastodon already? I'm so in my local music store that Tuesday (as I am nearly every Tuesday) to pick those both up.
Well, I've been publishing reviews for ten years. Sometimes I just download and do a casual description like I did here...

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
First of all Happy New Year everyone!!

Been listening to a couple of Christmas gifts from my kids a bit earlier tonight:

the Beatles "Love" DVD-A in 5.1
and Pete Bardens "Heart to Heart" (Japanese import)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
House and trance oh my!

Pendulum - Hold Your Color: I found this band through some friends, and I really like their sound. They go all over the place touching on many different styles, even one with acoustic guitar. Notable tracks include Tarantula, Out Here, and The Terminal.

Wolfmother - Wolfmother: Wicked band. There is no other way to put it. Their songs just take you on a journey in a way that I haven't experience in a long time. You can hear very strong Zepplin and Deep Purple style vibes througout the whole album. Notable tracks include Colossal, Mind's Eye, Where Eagles Have Been, and Tales.

Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom: Another band I found through a friend. I don't know too much about these guys, but I've never heard music like this before. Really nice to drive to, especially Mojo. Notable tracks include Mojo, Don't Even trip, Your Neighborhood Spaceman, and Sucker.

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade: I prejudged this CD. I heard the title track "Welcome to the Black Parade" and pretty much dismissed it. After hearing some tracks at a friends house I realized that the single was by far one of the worst songs on the CD. I don't know what it is, but I usually find myself hating singles. Notable tracks include Sleep, Mama, and Disenchanted.

SheepStar

Last edited:
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Muse... pretty much all of their stuff. I'm currently in my typical "do I like the band" phase before I decide whether to start buying some of their CDs. I've been stuck in this process with Muse for probably 5 weeks now. Sometimes it can take me a while :)

I should check out Wolfmother too since I hear so much about it both positive and negative.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom: Another band I found through a friend. I don't know too much about these guys, but I've never heard music like this before. Really nice to drive to, especially Mojo. Notable tracks include Mojo, Don't Even trip, Your Neighborhood Spacemen, and Sucker.
The album is by Mike Patton (of the excellent 'Faith no More') and is a set of collaborations with various artists. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peeping_Tom_(album)

It's worth it alone for 'Sucker' (just to hear Norah Jones swearing :D)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Still listening to? Anything pre-1990. After that, not too much worth listening to. Except Steely Dan, Fagen, it's still pretty cerebral.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
...well nothing right now. ;)

but, right now in the 'ol C750 I have
Goran
Coldplay - a rush of blood to the head
Beethoven - symphonies 4&5 (DVD-A)
Gerald De Palmas - un homme racines (French import)
Ashley MacIsaac - hi how are you today?

although, it has been two weeks since a change... maby tonight.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Sound of St. Lucia, Accoustic Alchemy - DVD DTS, recommended, awesome DVD

Complex, The Blue Man Group - DVD A, better mix than Sound of St. Lucia.

T

tlqualman

Audioholic Intern
I've been listening to

Mark Knoppler " Brothers in arms" SACD
Patricia Barber "Modern Cool" " Cafe Blue" SACD
Beatles "Love" DVD-Audio
Livingston Taylor "Ink" (James brother) SACD
Rebbeca Pidgeon SACD

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
tlqualman said:
I've been listening to

Mark Knoppler " Brothers in arms" SACD
Patricia Barber "Modern Cool" " Cafe Blue" SACD
Beatles "Love" DVD-Audio
Livingston Taylor "Ink" (James brother) SACD
Rebbeca Pidgeon SACD
Nice selection !

I just recieved a Billy Joel SACD. While I never in my life thought I'd ever buy anything he recorded, SACD does make it much much better.
Hell, now I'm thinking even getting a James Taylor SACD.
Does any body have any suggestion for A James Taylor SACD or DVD-A.

T

tlqualman

Audioholic Intern
BMO said:
Nice selection !

I just recieved a Billy Joel SACD. While I never in my life thought I'd ever buy anything he recorded, SACD does make it much much better.
Hell, now I'm thinking even getting a James Taylor SACD.
Does any body have any suggestion for A James Taylor SACD or DVD-A.

As far as James Taylor goes you might want to consider a concert DVD of his called "Live at the Beacon" you get a lot more of his songs for the money and the sound is very good in DTS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis