Once again: what are you listening to now?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Hawkeye said:
Since I never miss an opportunity to insert a shameless Alan Parsons plug
hi hawkeye, great minds think alike:D i just finished up listening to alan parsons ( i robot ), i allmost hit repeat & played it a second time but i chose bad company ( 10 from 6 ) instead.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
highfihoney said:
hi hawkeye, great minds think alike:D i just finished up listening to alan parsons ( i robot ), i allmost hit repeat & played it a second time but i chose bad company ( 10 from 6 ) instead.
I Robot is one of my all-time favorites. Parsons tours quite a bit, catch them if you can. http://www.alanparsonsmusic.com/aplive/tourdates.htm They usually open their set with the instrumental 'I Robot'. Last week I was in DC at XM Satellite Radio Headquarters for the taping of the latest in their series, 'Artist Confidential' this one featuring Alan Parsons. It was the first by XM that was recorded for playback in 5.1 btw, and should air sometime in April I believe they said. Parsons mentioned that he had just finished remastering the Project's first three albums, (Tales, I Robot, and Pyramid) which will soon be re-released on the Sony/BMG label.

Last edited:
T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Hi all,

The local Sam Goody is going out of business and I racked up the first day they hit 40% off. At those prices, they might be a dollar or two less than Wal Mart:rolleyes: Anyway, the best of the lot so far is Neil Young's "Prairie Wind" which I am listening to as I type this. I really like that album! I have liked Neil since I fist heard CSN&Y back in the 60's.

Others I have been listening to lately include Fleetwood Mac's 'The Dance", a lot of America and Third Day. On vinyl I have spun some Pure Prairie League, the Doobies and Tina Turner.

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
Alan Parsons re-issues

Hawkeye,

Am I correct in understanding that Alan Parsons is going to re-release the 1st 3 albums on SACD or DVD-A in 5.1 surround sound? That would truly be fabulous!!

Pat

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I just listened to The Best of Mickey Hart: Over the Edge and Back DVD-A last night. Pretty darn good, if you like drumming and percussion (which I love). Lots of interesting-sounding percussion on this album. It's mostly instrumentals; I think there was only one or two "proper" songs. Decent use of surrounds too. The album didn't knock me out, but it's a very interesting listen, and very well-recorded too.

cheers,
supervij

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
stiletto pat said:
Hawkeye,
Am I correct in understanding that Alan Parsons is going to re-release the 1st 3 albums on SACD or DVD-A in 5.1 surround sound? That would truly be fabulous!!
Pat
Pat, actually now that I think about it I believe he said he'd just finished remastering the first four albums. So include "Eve" in the list as well.

Surround? You know, he didn't say and I didn't think to ask him that specific question afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in dual disc format since that's the type of media that "A Valid Path" will be re-released on next month. I do remember him mentioning back in August that he was in discussions with Sony about re-mixing the first three Poject albums for surround, so this may all be tied together, not sure.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Rush - Roll the Bones

Morphine - B-sides and Otherwise

Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet

Rush - Rush in Rio (dvd-v)

Eric Clapton - One More Rider One More Car (dvd-v)

I have been on a Rush kick lately. I'm a big fan from way back.

SBF1

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Pilot - Blue Yonder
Blunstone and Argent - Out of the Shadows
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Reading a book today on The Crusades. So I am listening to music while I read to give the book " flavor"
Dead can Dance: Aion
John Renbourne:Taveler,s Prayer

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Jeff Buckley - Grace and Opeth - Ghost Reveries.

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
David Gilmour - On an Island (great, very personal CD)
If you buy it at Best Buy, it comes exclusively with the single-CD containg wonderful blues: Island Jam (been listening to it over and over again):D

W

W_Harding

Junior Audioholic
Reality

Reality, David Bowie ISO/Columbia CN 90743. This disc has a very good 5.1 mix and the Film "Reality". Recommended.

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
New Music...

Just picked up Dire Straights "Brothers in Arms" in DVD-A, and although I'm not a huge fan of this album, the remix sounds fantastic!

Another great DVD-A is Dave Grusin's "Two for the Road", a cover of Henry Mancinnni tunes. No, I'm not that old, but I do appreciate Grusin's work...;)

On the other hand, I also just picked up "David Live", the 1974 live album, on DVD-A, and it sounds surprisingly flat compared to how I recall the old double vinyl album coming across.

The CSN trilogy set on DVD-V is very good, as well. It's amazing how well that music stands the test of time...

Pat :cool:

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Show Your Bones
This isn't quite as raucous as <i>Fever To Tell</i>. But while Karen O doesn't emit as many of her sexy yelps, she also doesn't use that smooth Chrissie Hynde style like she did on "Maps." This is a step down in quality, but still many worthy songs, great fun. Out next week.

Eleventh Dream Day - Zeroes And Ones
I've been a fan of this Chicago band since 1987. They don't tour anymore because of jobs, other bands (Tortoise, solo stuff), but they always put on a cracking show or two every year. This is their first album in six years and it rocks. Constantly refining their roots in Neil Young, Television, Gun Club, and X.

Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics
My devotion to this band wavers in cycles. I thought they sucked pretty bad their first few years, they grew on me throughout the 90s, but got really sick of their last album. This doesn't attempt to be grandiose like the last two, thank god. They try to rock out more, but seemed to have forgotten how at times. Still makes for an interesting listen though.

TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
Promo, doesn't come out 'til May. Only heard it once so far, it's much different than their last album. More raw and shouty. They were my favorite new band of 2004, so this should be a grower.

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
Internet radio. Tabla.com. Eternal music/ Navarati In Haira. 56 kb.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Fastnbulbous, you've got me salivating at the thought of a new TV on the Radio album! I adore the first one, and hereby recommend it to everyone. It's called "desperate youth, blood thirsty babes", and it's killer. I guess it's rock, but it's also a few other things, none of which I can assign a genre name to. Anyway, thanks for reminding me that TotR is giving us new music in May; I'll be eagerly looking out for it!

cheers,
supervij

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Glad to see a fan here. Their first EP, Young Liars is also essential. See my <a href=http://www.fastnbulbous.com/tvontheradio_desperate.htm>review</a> of their first album, which was my album of the year in '04. Village Voice printed my quote in their Pazz & Jop issue:

"Ambitiously mixing droney post-punk with hip-hop and doo-wop, TV on the Radio keep the rage at a slow simmer as they cast an evil eye upon the hypocritical stars who make bank from pop based in hip-hop and soul while they flaunt diamonds mined by African slave labor and traded with terrorists.

'oh loiterers united / indivisible by shame / hungry for those diamonds / served on little severed bloody brown hands / oh the bling drips / oh the bling drips down / fallin' down just like rain.' Justice was at least served in a small way when Desperate Youth... claimed the Shortlist Music Prize in November. Rest assured, no bling will be flaunted from any resulting success, but TV On the Radio do seem to be loosening up with the danceable single, 'New Health Rock.'​

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
right now ive got john coltrane "lush life" kickin in the back ground.

man,coltrane was awesome.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Boz Scaggs - self titled
Chris Orbach - Safely Through the Night
Joe Jackson - Night and Day
Lou Reed - New York
REM - Green
Burton Cummings - Up Close and Alone

Latest posts