Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Carpenters greatest hits. Love Karen's voice, one in a million voice I tell ya! for the time it was produced and engineered, they where ahead of their time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Linda is the only singer than can sing any gens. A true Artista.

Before Whitney

You sumbitch, you got me listening to Linda Ronstadt! I never listen to her, but I have to agree with you. She's pretty amazing. Such a voice!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You sumbitch, you got me listening to Linda Ronstadt! I never listen to her, but I have to agree with you. She's pretty amazing. Such a voice!
Yes Sir Bud. You can't deny her talent. Her vocal control cannot be surpassed. Too bad she can't sing anymore due to her Parkinson illness. There are a couple of her concerts from the 70s 80s that are amazing when you hear her vocal range. When you talk about tone Karen Carpenter had the voice of an angel and also a solid kick azz drummer for Sure.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Good call mr boat! Here's one for ya
Best of the best. Buddy Rich
MrBoat
Thanks for the Buddy Rich reminder. That just cost me about an hour's worth of Buddy Rich videos this afternoon. :p

I am a rock n roller at heart with a newfound appreciation for jazz. My favorite part of a good band to watch is the drummer. I play guitar, but I love to watch the timekeeper do his thing. Lots of people imagine they can play guitar, play baseball or be a quarterback. Not very many folks think they can play drums because its a special person that can do the rub yur tummy and pat your head thing. Drummers do magical things in terms of coordinated movements : all to a precision time clock.

Guys like Buddy Rich are special because they have a raw, innate ability and they spent a few 1,000 hours refining it in to something totally unique. The drummer is least likely player in a band to be famous. Yet all these years later, anybody who knows rhythm sections still knows the name Buddy Rich. I don't believe in "best" player lists or the "best all time" lists for musicians. Even with that, it would be tough to come up with somebody that could play as well as Buddy Rich, much less better.

I remember watching him as a kid. He was so good even a dumb kid from nowhere would stop and watch him play.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It all comes down to style and it's really difficult to apply technicalities to such things. I don't know of a true 'best' of anything. "Best of the best," really means 'up there' more than anything else. It was a spontaneous thought due to immediate effect.

Same can be said with audio.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I saw that. I liked his trick with the bells. That was awesome.
Here's another one. You mentioned bell trick and I thought of Gavin Harrison immediately. He plays in porcupine tree and is amazing.
I agree, there really can't be a "best". It comes down to chops, style, application, feel, and chemistry. Buddy rich probably wouldn't lend a lot if he were in say, Thin Lizzy. Just like "animal" doesn't belong in a jazz band. There are thousands of unsung drummers with chops you can only dream of. Fwiw, I love playing drums.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It all comes down to style and it's really difficult to apply technicalities to such things. I don't know of a true 'best' of anything. "Best of the best," really means 'up there' more than anything else. It was a spontaneous thought due to immediate effect.

Same can be said with audio.
I didn't mean I don't appreciate a good "best there ever was" comment, or somebody that takes the time to put together their own Top 10 Lists for things. I do it inside my own head all the time. I think I meant more of the stuff you see in magazines or online articles. This usually entails a 20 something year old making a list of the best rock bands ever and it starts and ends with stuff done in the last 10 years. Or in this case "best drummer ever" and all that's on the list is metal band drummers from the past 5 years (no insult to metal pedal pushers:D).

When your post read "best ever" and Buddy Rich, I just nodded my head and said, "well yeah, everybody knows that". No argument from me.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't mean I don't appreciate a good "best there ever was" comment, or somebody that takes the time to put together their own Top 10 Lists for things. I do it inside my own head all the time. I think I meant more of the stuff you see in magazines or online articles. This usually entails a 20 something year old making a list of the best rock bands ever and it starts and ends with stuff done in the last 10 years. Or in this case "best drummer ever" and all that's on the list is metal band drummers from the past 5 years (no insult to metal pedal pushers:D).

When your post read "best ever" and Buddy Rich, I just nodded my head and said, "well yeah, everybody knows that". No argument from me.
That's true. And most "best drummer" lists have Neil peart or Bonzo at the top. Best? At what they do, sure.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Here's another one. You mentioned bell trick and I thought of Gavin Harrison immediately. He plays in porcupine tree and is amazing.
I agree, there really can't be a "best". It comes down to chops, style, application, feel, and chemistry. Buddy rich probably wouldn't lend a lot if he were in say, Thin Lizzy. Just like "animal" doesn't belong in a jazz band. There are thousands of unsung drummers with chops you can only dream of. Fwiw, I love playing drums.
I can totally agree. Put Buddy Rich in a lot of low talent bands and the band would break up because he'd be causing a ruckus all the time. I was thinking the exact same thing as in your post : put Buddy Rich in a band where all he got to play was old school back beat stuff and he'd go nuts.

I know that you and a few others that post here are drummers. My hats off to you. You do something I absolutely can't do. You can tap your foot to establish a beat, not just try to follow one. I can't do either.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can totally agree. Put Buddy Rich in a lot of low talent bands and the band would break up because he'd be causing a ruckus all the time. I was thinking the exact same thing as in your post : put Buddy Rich in a band where all he got to play was old school back beat stuff and he'd go nuts.

I know that you and a few others that post here are drummers. My hats off to you. You do something I absolutely can't do. You can tap your foot to establish a beat, not just try to follow one. I can't do either.
I appreciate that. I also appreciate a guitar player. It's something I can do, but with only a fraction of the same proficiency. I do enjoy it though. I also think Buddy is amazing. Thought I should add that.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

I get what you mean. Is why I agreed. Sorry, Buck. Grandkids were all up in my buttons. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's true. And most "best drummer" lists have Neil peart or Bonzo at the top. Best? At what they do, sure.
Danny Carey is starting to show up on a lot of those lists now too. I have trouble just trying to think some of his stuff.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Danny Carey is starting to show up on a lot of those lists now too. I have trouble just trying to think some of his stuff.
Has for a long time. It's definitely no secret as to his skill set either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes Sir Bud. You can't deny her talent. Her vocal control cannot be surpassed. Too bad she can't sing anymore due to her Parkinson illness. There are a couple of her concerts from the 70s 80s that are amazing when you hear her vocal range. When you talk about tone Karen Carpenter had the voice of an angel and also a solid kick azz drummer for Sure.
Indeed. My first concert (without parental presence) was her leading off with the Stone Poneys for Neil Young.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis