Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I gotta say, it sounds nice on my system. Seems to be mixed and recorded well. Doesn't mean I like the song, it just sounds nice.
It's ok. We won't take that as any kind of admittance. Lol!!!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I really loved the Junior Brown cuts. To say I don't care much for country is the epitome of understatement. Look at the dichotomy between what he's doing on stage and what the typical packaged band the industry is selling these days is doing.

Junior is up there with a handmade guitar, that's not super special but his is hardwired to a classic fender amp. Not even a nod to wireless. His bass player is playing a big butt real stringed bass. His drummer is simply using brushes on a snare drum. His rhythm guitar lady is using an acoustic plastic stringed guitar.
Did I mention they are all wearing suits? Oh, and he's playing the s-h-i-t out of that steel guitar. That takes talent and that's the main thing that's setting him apart from the musical crowd.

Thanks for those clips. I really enjoyed that guy. Now I have to add him to my list as I make a trip to the used CD store this week.
I've followed Junior since the late 80's. You should hear him do Hendrix. That's a Tele attached to that steel. He has his own style in a modern, play on classic bent and a voice to match. The lady on the acoustic is his wife and you can tell she digs what her dude does. A real entertainer. I always liked when an artist can mingle in a genre without changing for it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Mrboat
Enjoyed those clips. Something different for a change.
Like you, I know my choices aren't always loved either, but I have enough interests and things in my collection I can change suit the mood for those around me. Or just turn it up, ftw!!! Lol
Lots of crap out there. Makes it hard to find the good stuff. Unlike when I was a kid. Most of what I was exposed to was on the radio. I remember waiting for a day at a time to hear a cool song by Boston, or skynard, or the police or whatever. Now there are millions of songs at your fingertips. Double edged sword.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This one really gets me every time I listen to it. Heavy and melodic. Probably more the former...

My favorite KNot song. I am a pretty good maggot, but I think stone sour is a much better band, and Corey is great there. I'm looking forward to him hitting Minneapolis again this summer. Came right after prince died last year. It was amazing. Tool is here June 9th too. Can't wait.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Mrboat
Enjoyed those clips. Something different for a change.
Like you, I know my choices aren't always loved either, but I have enough interests and things in my collection I can change suit the mood for those around me. Or just turn it up, ftw!!! Lol
Lots of crap out there. Makes it hard to find the good stuff. Unlike when I was a kid. Most of what I was exposed to was on the radio. I remember waiting for a day at a time to hear a cool song by Boston, or skynard, or the police or whatever. Now there are millions of songs at your fingertips. Double edged sword.
I find myself in similar circumstances. Most of my new-to-me music came from the radio back in the day. Not anymore. I dont know if radio stations today play anything not on a prescribed playlist supplied by the ownership group.

But at my fingertips are literally millions of songs with streaming and other pathways. How to find needles in the haystack?

Honestly, friends and folks on forums like this one and others are a real blessing in helping to find new stuff. MrBoat has been a goldmine of good artists. Sometimes, all it takes is one good connection.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I find myself in similar circumstances. Most of my new-to-me music came from the radio back in the day. Not anymore. I dont know if radio stations today play anything not on a prescribed playlist supplied by the ownership group.

But at my fingertips are literally millions of songs with streaming and other pathways. How to find needles in the haystack?

Honestly, friends and folks on forums like this one and others are a real blessing in helping to find new stuff. MrBoat has been a goldmine of good artists. Sometimes, all it takes is one good connection.
Yep, found some unknown(to me) music in forums for sure. Pandora, and Spotify have also provided me with some new stuff. Although sometimes it feels more like searching for a needle in a stack of needles. Lol
Radio has been bad for a long time. I swear when a new single comes out, the station has to meet quota wit "X" amount of plays per hour. Frustrating.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I don't listen to mainstream stations anymore. The final straw was the KIA ads, with the guy that says. . . ."IT'S YUUUUUUGE."

Love Pandora enough to pay for it. I create a station, cross reference further with youtube to see what else they have if a tune strikes me, and then buy their CDs. I have not turned on a television or mainstream radio station since October. If I get bored, I go outside, or research other creative outlets. Adblock takes care of most of the other chaff with my surfing. I can actually feel my blood pressure going down.

You folks are what's left of the culture of hi-fi. If more people engaged in this IRL, we'd see a lot less drama on social media, or less of everything on social media. This used to be the actual social media.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lmao! I think frank caliendo(spelling?) does the Kia ads. He's funny.
I'm trying to keep it alive. Every chance I get. I'm certainly not a genius or an expert, but try to "learn" as many people as I can.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

Even the classic stations play more repeats of less, than what they used to.

I have listened to music for a long time and not just the mainstream stuff. Has really been a huge part of my existence most of my life. I was the first in my peer group to buy a good home stereo, and the last, as it turns out. My oldest brother is the same way. He actually gave me the idea of a stereo being a must have.

Once I started noticing the overbearing influence of the ad industry, I took a hiatus from the scene.

I am enjoying these music exchanges. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to all of them yet, but I will catch up eventually. This is way better than social media, just for the lack of memes alone.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Lmao! I think frank caliendo(spelling?) does the Kia ads. He's funny.
I'm trying to keep it alive. Every chance I get. I'm certainly not a genius or an expert, but try to "learn" as many people as I can.
Fucillo Kia? Good grief. Can almost hear the "Daaaaah" between every half sentence. And it's between every two-3 songs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Definitely a favorite of mine.

This song, ticks and leeches, I used the intro in ringtone maker to assign to my friend who also plays drums.
I did the same thing with the intro for Jambi. Made a pretty good ringtone.

I've strayed away from Slipknot a little, but Before I Forget is still one of my favorite songs. There's that metal connection again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It runs deep with this one...
Lol. First album I ever owned, was by Black Sabbath. It's all good.
Lol. I was thinking about a post you made a while back that we seem to be connected on the metal side. You and I have very similar tastes.

My first album was AC/DC's Highway To Hell (new release at the time) and I was hooked ever since. When I was 10, Back In Black was the best cassette ever made. I moved to Scorpions and Iron Maiden, then later to Megadeth and Metallica. Never really got into hardcore black metal or its sub genres. I discovered Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin a little late, but like them as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis