On wall vs Bookshelf

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
I have been researching bookshelf speakers to mount against the wall. small-bookshelf-speakers-300

If I went the route stated in the linked thread (4 Ascend HTM200SE's w/ CMT 340SEC), they would be mounted at around ceiling height.

I went to a few home audio places and they said even though the bookshelf speakers would produce more output, they would recommend on wall instead to keep the speakers at ear height, though less output.

My question is given the circumstances, which would be preferable.

4 Ascend Acoustic HTM200SE's w/ CMT 340 SEC center mounted at around ceiling height. (Not good looking speakers)

or

3 On wall speakers for LCR (like HTD Flat Panel) and 2 bookshelf speakers for the rear
HTD flat-panel-speaker

budget is ~700 for speakers 5.0

I already have Klipsch RW 12D

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
Forgot to mention, no towers or stands. WAF

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have been researching bookshelf speakers to mount against the wall. small-bookshelf-speakers-300

If I went the route stated in the linked thread (4 Ascend HTM200SE's w/ CMT 340SEC), they would be mounted at around ceiling height.

I went to a few home audio places and they said even though the bookshelf speakers would produce more output, they would recommend on wall instead to keep the speakers at ear height, though less output.

My question is given the circumstances, which would be preferable.

4 Ascend Acoustic HTM200SE's w/ CMT 340 SEC center mounted at around ceiling height. (Not good looking speakers)

or

3 On wall speakers for LCR (like HTD Flat Panel) and 2 bookshelf speakers for the rear
HTD flat-panel-speaker

budget is ~700 for speakers 5.0

I already have Klipsch RW 12D
If you're considering the LCR onwalls, then take a look at these. I don't know anything about them, but this company is pretty well-liked on AH for budget choices.

EMP Tek On-wall Speakers

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I believe the HTM200s are designed to go on a wall, so they should work fine that way.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
I know the ascends are sealed and can go on wall. It's the aesthetics that would make them go high up above ear level.

Those emp teks were another option I was considering.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
I'm going to see if I can make the question more direct.

Which would be better.

The ascends mounted up and in the corners at about ceiling height 10 feet.

Or

On walls directly in front and at ear level but with less extension.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you plan to just directly wall mount and not use brackets to angle them down a bit, then close to the ceiling isn't a good idea. Great appearance is definitely not the CBM/HTM speakers forte, but plain tends to hide well in plain sight. So if that is the ONLY choice, then I'd opt for ear level.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
If you plan to just directly wall mount and not use brackets to angle them down a bit, then close to the ceiling isn't a good idea
They will be angled down like this.

111122768_amazoncom-omnimount-20-lb-stainless-steel-wall-speaker-.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They should be fine like that then :) That they are sealed is a bonus in that situation too. The CMT340SEC might be overkill for those too - I'd consider just getting another HTM200. It isn't that they aren't timbre matched, but I think I'd be more inclined to go 170s or all 340s up front ideally because of identical midrange drivers and I don't know if that's an option. The HTMs use smaller mids than the others even though they have the same tweeter. Identical speakers with the same crossover point up front will blend about as seamlessly as you can get.

Last edited:
C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
One last clarification reply... :eek:

So as far as soundstage, extension, imaging..... blah blah blah

You would recommend

5 x Ascend HTM 200SE's wall mounted in corners with angled mounts

over

something like

3 x HTD Flat Panels or EMP Tek on walls at ear level beside TV and two smaller bookshelves wall mounted angled down

-------------

I know you said keep the drivers approx. the same with the Ascends. Is there a reason for this? I was just trying to get more lower end since the HTM's are much smaller. I do have a sub already but with the size room I have (16.5x17x12ceiling) and hardwood, I was trying to squeeze in the most low end as possible.

-------------

One more note. I did have a chance to audition some speakers to get an idea of what I like out of speakers. I listened to a Niles outdoor 6", KEF Q300, and Pinnacle QP 5 (On Wall). I liked the KEF's the most but the Pinnacle's were not that far behind especially with a sub paired. I like bright tones. Also I can't remember the specific speaker but the company was Sunfire and they had some small bookshelf's that were really impressive for there size. And that little sub they made was extremely impressive.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The HTD flat panels don't have much extension at just 80Hz, which basically means almost zero bass. The HTM200s go a little lower at 68Hz and will make blending to a sub easier IMO. The EMP claims 48Hz for the EW25, which seems questionable and is probably the -6dB rather than the -3dB but it very well could have the lowest bass of those listed; though not by much. Appearance wise, I think the EMPs look better than the others as well. I haven't heard them, but I know their other bookshelf speakers are very well respected around here and I think they'll probably do well. If that size works for WAF (and you can swing one of the larger two on walls), I'll switch my vote, especially if that means the front 3 can be identical.

I am sure the HTMs will sound fine with the CMT340, that was more of a recommendation for better mains than that they won't work well together. The vast majority of the sound comes from the font three, so getting better mains and giving them the most attention for placement is far more important than the surrounds.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
It says on the page - 3 db. What about surrounds? Do I need something from them or can I get others. I couldn't find small enough for surrounds.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
E3B? I think the EW25 might be a bit large, but if you could get them past WAF, that would be the way to go.

It doesn't exactly say -3dB, it says +/-3dB which is a swing of 6dB, which is why I questioned it. When you see the +/-, it usually means their low end measurement is -6dB.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
I got in touch with emp and they are going to sell me the e3b as a pair

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis