On the Soundstage...who are the actors?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I have read many a review that semi-articulates the essence of a speaker's projected soundstage. I've recently been doing some research on ACI speakers, and it is a prominent feature in all the reviews. "I close my eyes and I see the band from mid-hall...not too forward. The sound stage extends perhaps 2 and 1/2 feet to the sides of the speakers, and the same above."

Okay, but what elements of a speaker and/or listener-speaker interaction causes that phenomenon in a monopole speaker? I understand the waveguide dispersion...but what causes one speaker (type) to have a smaller or larger soundstage width/depth/height?

Thanks for tolerating with my continuing ignorance.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
My understanding of soundstage.

I think the "soundstage" and "imaging" descriptions refer to the speakers ability to trick your brain. If the speakers produce distortion or a nonlinear response then it ruins the effect and your brian is not convinced. If the dispersion pattern and off axis response are not appropriate then your brain will identify the two audio point sources rather than a "wider soundstage" effect.

The off axis response of the speaker, in perticular, can effect whether the sound stage effect occurs at one perticular spot, or multiple listening positions in the room.

Concerning speaker reviews, a lot of people like to use very subjective terms like "rich, silky, mids". I would look for more objective reviews like Audioholics that include measurment and analysis. I came across a good article on the Axiom site that describes the terms used by reviewers:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/sound.html

Also, since audio is so subjective, listen for yourself.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
So then the more distortion free and the more linear response of a speaker, the 'larger' the soundstage? Are there any other speaker dynamics at play?

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Room interaction & positioning is a big part of imaging.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Francious70 said:
Room interaction & positioning is a big part of imaging.
I understand the function that room dynamics can play. But these reviewers I'm reading are comparing speakers (usually to their reference models) while controlling room response. Careful, maximizing placement is usually a common element among good reviewers. Thus the question still lurks....what speaker dynamics, if any, cause larger or smaller 'soundstage' effects?

Another way of saying what I'm trying to say is.....can I look at speaker specs/build and say that Speaker A is going to have a bigger, better, more dynamic 'soundstage' than Speaker B?

Or is it all hocus-pocus? :)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
rjbudz said:
.....RJBudz, it's NOT hocus-pocus....it's, how close to the recorded group's "live" speakers can you get, where you hear the best and widest imaging, lows that haven't had a chance to get muddy yet, fresh out of the gate?....I firmly believe, if you arrive at the speakers with +/- "0" db through the electronics, your chances for a quality speaker shining just went up....you've got to have quality all along the way, but take heart, there's working man's systems to be had at 1/5 as much outlay as guys who buy what they're told, and got money to burn....

.....there were options as they tuned these commercial speakers in research, guys....and they knew specs would have to be printed....it's all about our systems sounding as "live" as possible....as was really heard at the event....that won't ever be 100%, but some get closer than others....warm, will never be on my payroll.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
rjbudz said:
I understand the function that room dynamics can play. But these reviewers I'm reading are comparing speakers (usually to their reference models) while controlling room response. Careful, maximizing placement is usually a common element among good reviewers. Thus the question still lurks....what speaker dynamics, if any, cause larger or smaller 'soundstage' effects?

Another way of saying what I'm trying to say is.....can I look at speaker specs/build and say that Speaker A is going to have a bigger, better, more dynamic 'soundstage' than Speaker B?

Don't forget the quality of the recording. Changing phase shift on it affects sound staging.

Depending on which specs you look at, it may or not tell you much.
JBL gives off axis response as well. One of the premier experimenters in speakers as is the Canadian Research Council. Dr. Toole was there for 20+ years before migrating to JBL.
http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspeakers&RoomsPt2.pdf

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Everything else being equal, a different sound stage is going to be attributed to that individual speakers disbursment pattern. Some speakes sound better on axis, whie others sound good 30* off axis.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis