? on remaster quality

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am looking for some of my favorite old music on CD's. Amazon often lists remastered versions, import versions, etc. Is there a website where audiophiles discuss which version offers the best SQ?
Also is Amazon the right place to shop?
Thanks!

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
I am looking for some of my favorite old music on CD's. Amazon often lists remastered versions, import versions, etc. Is there a website where audiophiles discuss which version offers the best SQ?
Aren't you on it? :p

On a serious note, if you're looking for discussion on specific albums, your best bet is to Google the name of the album plus terms like remastered and see what turns up.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
There are lots of recommendations (based on what they sell) on the Accoustic Sounds Catalog. Their preference is for vinyl and SACD. The Stereophile magazine web site has blogs and forums that discuss sound quality and remasters in gruesome detail.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Stereophile magazine web site has blogs and forums that discuss sound quality and remasters in gruesome detail.
Is this in the context of specific albums or the general concept of remastering across the board. I poked around there and didn't have much luck finding discussions such as which version is the best specific to (for example) Abbey Road or Dark Side of the Moon.
Thanks!

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Is this in the context of specific albums or the general concept of remastering across the board. I poked around there and didn't have much luck finding discussions such as which version is the best specific to (for example) Abbey Road or Dark Side of the Moon.
Thanks!
The new Beatles remastered CD's that are being released on 09.09.09 have received an excellent review from TONE. They raved about the quality....

Regarding DSOTM I've found the hybrid SACD to be the best performing release, although the Mofi Original CD is very good as well.

John

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
The new Beatles remastered CD's that are being released on 09.09.09 have received an excellent review from TONE. They raved about the quality....

Regarding DSOTM I've found the hybrid SACD to be the best performing release, although the Mofi Original CD is very good as well.

John
Some people really dig the quadraphonic mix on the DVD-Audio release.

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Remastering = LOUD.

SheepStar
More often than not...YES!

There are exceptions. Witness the new Beatles Remastered compilations....they are outstanding from the review I read.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
Always get the remastered version. If you're into multi channel then get sacd wether it's in multi channel or a hybrid. Meaning it's in stereo but can also be played on a regular cd player as well as an sacd player.

Amazon is a good place to purchase products. Shipping takes a bit long at times.

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Always get the remastered version. If you're into multi channel then get sacd wether it's in multi channel or a hybrid. Meaning it's in stereo but can also be played on a regular cd player as well as an sacd player.

Amazon is a good place to purchase products. Shipping takes a bit long at times.
Not true. Some remasters have been butchered beyond recognition.

John

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Is SACD a waste if I only play in stereo?
(I do have a SACD capable player)

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Is SACD a waste if I only play in stereo?
(I do have a SACD capable player)
Absolutely NOT! People have the mistaken belief that SACD is for multi-channel only. SACD in 2-Channel is just as good. In fact, I listen to my small collection of SACD more in 2-channel.

If you have a DSD capable SACD player AND receiver (or amps), it will outperform a standard Redbook CD anytime.

John

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you have a DSD capable SACD player AND receiver (or amps), it will outperform a standard Redbook CD anytime.
John
I don't see anything to indicate my equipment is DSD capable. Is it a licensed & trademarked technology which would require a logo on the unit (like the compact disc icon)? If not, how would I check?
I'm assuming if it had it it would claim it, so am doubtful that either unit is DSD capable.
Here is the spec sheet on my CD player:
http://us.marantz.com/VC6001.pdf
Here is the spec sheet on my receiver:
http://ca.marantz.com/SR6001v2.pdf

Thanks,
Kurt

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Kurt.

Your receiver does support direct DSD transfer over HDMI and can process it.

You disc player is not capable of transferring DSD over HDMI or any digital connection, though. You would need to have the player process the SACD audio and transfer it over the analog outputs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis