omg sooo overwhelmed....

R

razar

Audiophyte
Luckily (or unluckily) for me I tend to do a lot of research before I plunk down the benji's ... short story, I haven't had a good system in about 6yrs. I'm overdue for a decent AVR / floorstanders / center /amp if necessary , and move on from there to pick up some surrounds when I can work the logistics of cabling (dont ask).

My mind is a whirl of DenOnkyoLogan824's to put it mildly :eek:

I was looking at a denon 1911 with an energy 5.1 classic take...
which turned into Klipsch speakers with a motion 6 center.... then Motion 10/12.... then oh wait the 1911 may not push those because they're really 4 ohm.... ohm's... oh for frak's sake I remember that crap.... look in onkyo... get scared off by excessive heat.... dont wanna smoke a new AVR .... amp maybe... ohhh emotiva looks sexy... hrmmm lets see if we can find an AVR that'll drive the motion 12's without having to add $$$ for an amp..... well damn... prob cheaper for 2 channel amp... oh listen to that... the B&W's sound good too.........

CALGON!!!
TAKE ME AWAY!!!!
/me Keels over twitching on the floor

help

avr turned into the 2311 then the denon 3311.... at that point I'll be piecing it all together over a few months including decent speakers..

/me keels over again.

CLEAR!!!! zzzZZZTT!!!

ok... so I'm looking for something decent in an AVR that can upscale, handle 3d, and maybe have some pre outs to push some decent LF RF's in the 4 ohm range in concert with some surrounds in the long term.

Last edited:
dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Welcome to our world.

Couple of questions for you:

1. How much of a budget do you have?

2. How big of a room do you have?

3. What's the split between music and watching movies?

Last edited:
dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
You don't have to do it alone, we're here to help!

Go to as many audio shops as you can, listen to speakers, take notes.
Find a pair of 2 channel speakers that you love, and build from there.

As for a receiver, get something with preouts, so you can always add an amplifier (or two, or 7 :p) if you find that it doesn't have enough power for your needs.

Oh, and stick with the same line for your front three. They should be timbre matched in order to have a seamless sound stage.

R

razar

Audiophyte
Budget... well that all depends really...
Today its 1200... but in a month with no purchases it may be 2400-3000. I'm a patient man... 3k in the long term.

Room size from viewing wall to seating wall is 15ft. Width is over 30ft which is an odd room dimention I know, but we sit in the first half plus its a vaulted ceiling from 10ft at the lowest to 20ft

music/movies... I "want" to say an even split because I want to listen to good music on a good system and will if given the chance. I've been restricted to headphones for a while. I'd like for it to be an even split if thats at all possible.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
You have a HUGE room to fill and I'll let the more experiance guys answer your questions as I don't have the experiance with anything that size.

Here's a small hint though, don't buy nothing for at least three months to buy what you're going to need.

R

razar

Audiophyte
for all intents and purposes I would say the "focus area" of the desired sound is 15x15x15 anything that "fills" beyond that is a bonus... assuming that beyond that would likely stretch the budget ;)

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Dkane has already stated to go out and audition speakers and you could build up over time. I also agree that he stated to get an AVR with preouts to add an amp down the road.

Don't read to much into Onkyo's running hot, while they do a little...there are work arounds.;)

You may also look into online companies like Axiom or Asperion for speakers. I would recomment to get towers of your wife does not mind them, that way down the road you would have no problem filling the room as the bonus.

The way you said you could save money is I would do this and by the time your done you would have a system to make your neighbors jealous and some of us on here. I would save another month and get about $2500 set aside to get you started and then you could add down the road each month. For two towers lets say a budget of $1800, you could get a very good set for that price, including the Axiom top of the line, M80 v3, or the new Asperion Versus grand towers. I'm looking hard the Versus grand myself. Then next month you could get the center channel, month after that get the surrounds, month after that get amps to bring everything alive.

For the AVR I would get at least an Onkyo 1008, Denon 3311, Yamaha A1000 or the Pioneer VSX-33.

Hope that helps.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Will you be facing the 15'/30' wall? Do the speaks need to be purdy, or is basic black acceptable? You'll want a decent sub/s for that space!:D

Using code "techbargains" at Electronics Expo, you can p/u a Denon 3311 for $780: http://www.electronics-expo.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR3311CI/Denon/AVR3311CI/1.html
I'd be inclined toward an Ascend Acoustics CMT-340/CMT-340C/HTM-200 combo and add a RYTHMIK FV15 for around $2200 + shipping. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/fv15.html

Last edited:
R

razar

Audiophyte
Thank you all for the inputs :)
I think I'm set on the Denon 3311 for the "anchor" , thanks for the bargain AVRat I will make good use of that discount :) Many appreciations for you :)
Your speaker recommendation is a new one for me... (not that I'm guru pitka of speakers) just that I've become accustomed to seeing a lot of more well-known names get bounced around.

I may have a line on some excellent condition B&W 603's...
^thoughts^
also in the running: kef Q700, Axiom M80, and Aperion 6T

Last edited:
dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
KEF's and B&W are great lines. Just try to listen to them first.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis