OLED: Is LG the only company that has OLED displays?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I did a quick search on Samsung and Sony entering teh word oled in their search engines and all I see are cameras.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Panasonic is supposed to be putting out an OLED TV soon.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OLED still isn't ripe, which is why nobody is really doing it full bore, meaning profit is harder to make in it still. Samsung makes more OLED than anyone, just not in TVs. Apple will be moving to OLED, so it is the direction companies will be going. All mobile devices are either already OLED or will be soon.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have to balance my disdain for LG with my desire for OLED!

I really want to move to OLED, but I'm really scared of LG reliability.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
I have to balance my disdain for LG with my desire for OLED!

I really want to move to OLED, but I'm really scared of LG reliability.
Fear not; Panasonic will soon release their own version of 4K OLED.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
That Panasonic OLED will still be using an LG panel. I too don't have much faith in LG So if I were to buy one of their OLED sets I would also be buying my first ever extended warranty.

Mike Ruby

Mike Ruby

Audioholic Intern
I recommended a 65" 4k Sony XBR for client and they wanted to go with OLED instead. I have no idea of the reliability and glad I just installed it. Honestly it's silly thin and the black level performance is like the plasmas of yesteryear. I believe it was $3,500ish?

Attachments

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
I believe I made a mistake and posted it under Projectors. Sorry about that. Well, here it is here. New additions to 4K OLED Manufacturers. This will eventually drop the price on OLED. It will also eventually again drop the price on 4K UHD TV's:

New OLED TVs demonstrated at IFA 2016
One of the world's largest consumer electronics trade shows, IFA, took place in September 2016. During the event, several companies demonstrated new OLED TVs. All of those TVs use OLED panels produced by LG display.

So first up we have Philips, with its first OLED TV, the 901F. This is a 55-inch 4K OLED TV that supports three-sided Ambilight, HDR and Philips' Perfect-Pixel Ultra-HD picture processing. Grundig also revealed its first TV, the 65VLO9790 - this one uses a larger 65" 4K panel and is made by Turkish Arcelik. Grundig's TV will launch in the autumn of 2016 for around €3300 in Turkey.

Arcelik also demonstrated its own OLED TV, which also uses a 65" 4K panel. Arcelik will offer this to other OEMs. Fellow-Turkish electronic makers Vestel had a 65" 4K OLED TV of its own on display.
In other OLED TV news from IFA, Panasonic unveiled a new "reference" OLED TV prototype, Loewe demonstrated its upcoming Bild 7 OLED TV, and China's Skyworth unveiled a dual-view 55" OLED display for commercial and signage applications.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's gonna be slow going unlike the LCD conversion. I know Samsung uses OLED in their phones.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
It's gonna be slow going unlike the LCD conversion. I know Samsung uses OLED in their phones.
The problem is that although OLED can work with the likes of cell phones, large OLED's is a different ball game altogether & expen$ive.

C

CD3

Audiophyte
OLED still isn't ripe, which is why nobody is really doing it full bore, meaning profit is harder to make in it still. Samsung makes more OLED than anyone, just not in TVs. Apple will be moving to OLED, so it is the direction companies will be going. All mobile devices are either already OLED or will be soon.
LG makes all Apple and Samsung displays

C

CD3

Audiophyte

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
OLED is sooo Ripe, it blows away 4K UHD. Lets get one thing straight here. Manufacturing a little smart phone, etc is much easier then manufacturing a 65" OLED. It's a completely different animal. Large OLEDS cost considerably more expensive then 4K UHD. You can probably buy at least 3 4K UHD. Incidently, Samsung doesn't support lasrge OLED TV's. They created something called SUHD. It ain't no OLED, but it costs almost as much. Now with 6 more manufacturer's, (including Panasonic) coming out with OLED's, the price will come down, and the 4K UHD will go even lower until they disappear.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
OLED is sooo Ripe, it blows away 4K UHD. Lets get one thing straight here. Manufacturing a little smart phone, etc is much easier then manufacturing a 65" OLED. It's a completely different animal. Large OLEDS cost considerably more expensive then 4K UHD. You can probably buy at least 3 4K UHD. Incidently, Samsung doesn't support lasrge OLED TV's. They created something called SUHD. It ain't no OLED, but it costs almost as much. Now with 6 more manufacturer's, (including Panasonic) coming out with OLED's, the price will come down, and the 4K UHD will go even lower until they disappear.
OLED and 4K are two distinct things. One is a display technology, the other a display specification.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
OLED and 4K are two distinct things. One is a display technology, the other a display specification.
I beg to differ. Only OLED has Infinite Contrast Ratio. Only OLED needs NO back lighting nor edge lighting. Only OLED has the Widest off axis viewing and the best Colors. Period.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I beg to differ. Only OLED has Infinite Contrast Ratio. Only OLED needs NO back lighting nor edge lighting. Only OLED has the Widest off axis viewing and the best Colors. Period.
You're still totally confused. OLED is a display technology and UHD is a display specification. You can get an OLED display that does not satisfy the UHD spec. The PS Vita OLED for example. Or first generation OLED TVs.

OLED means Organic Light Emitting Diode. If you had an OLED display that only did one color, that wouldn't really be Ultra HD, would it? But you could make such a display, just like you have LCD displays that only do one color on some electronics.

Samsung's Quantum Dot technology is an improvement they have made to existing LCD technology. SUHD is just "Samsung" Ultra HD and a marketing term.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
You're still totally confused. OLED is a display technology and UHD is a display specification. You can get an OLED display that does not satisfy the UHD spec. The PS Vita OLED for example. Or first generation OLED TVs.

OLED means Organic Light Emitting Diode. If you had an OLED display that only did one color, that wouldn't really be Ultra HD, would it? But you could make such a display, just like you have LCD displays that only do one color on some electronics.

Samsung's Quantum Dot technology is an improvement they have made to existing LCD technology. SUHD is just "Samsung" Ultra HD and a marketing term.[/QUOTE

Yeah, but, still, OLED is at the top of the chain. Let me ask you this: Are those quantum dots going to catch fire & explode like their smartphones?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Um, LG makes Samsung displays? LMFAO. Apple doesn't do OLED yet. NOBODY makes everything for every model of Apple product; they use a large number of different manufacturers, including Samsung previously.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis