• Thread starter johannesnothnagel
  • Start date
J

johannesnothnagel

Audiophyte
Hi there. I really hope someone can be of assistance as all my searches turned up useless. I have an opportunity to buy some second hand speakers at a good price. However, I can't find decent reviews on these speakers. It's an AR Status SC2 for the centre, AR-PS 2062 for the rears, a Boston VR500 sub and magnat 122 422B's for fronts. How do these compare with current speakers on the same level (price, value,etc.) Is there any risk on buying speakers that haven't been used for 5 years? I currently have a Denon AVR-X1000 amp if this is of any help. Is it possible to get a release date from the model numbers?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
a Boston VR500 sub and magnat 122 422B's for fronts.
I have no comment about Magnat

The Boston sub is more on the entry level side - and only 100 watt amp.
It can augment some bass - if you can live with bass to around 30-35 hz

One thing to note is the woofer has foam surrounds - need to make sure
that it has not dry rotted.

Last edited:
J

johannesnothnagel

Audiophyte
I have no comment about Magnat

The Boston sub is more on the entry level side - and only 100 watt amp.
It can augment some bass - if you can live with bass to around 30-35 hz

One thing to note is the woofer has foam surrounds - need to make sure
that it has not dry rotted.

J

johannesnothnagel

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply. It is much appreciated! Yes I am from South Africa and about 1 and a half hours drive from Cape Town. The people with the expert knowledge is therefore not easy to get to. At the moment I have abvery simple set up... Used to have a Sony setup (all in one box situation). I bought the denon amp later fot the hdmi inputs but kept the sony sattelite speakers. Not really on the same level as you guys. The speakers that I posted about I can get for around R2500 (not sure what the converted amount would be). This is something I cam afford on my limited budget.

Thanks to the info you supplied, all that is left for me is to test them on my amp.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Used to have a Sony setup (all in one box situation). I bought the denon amp later fot the hdmi inputs but kept the sony sattelite speakers. Not really on the same level as you guys. The speakers that I posted about I can get for around R2500 (not sure what the converted amount would be). This is something I cam afford on my limited budget.
I think that is around $225 USA - If working well, they will be better than the
all in one box Sony speakers - Test them out, plus check and make sure on the
sub, that the woofer foam surround is not dry rotted.

Have fun - it is all about what gives you enjoyment.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis