Old sanyo stereo - what type of speaker is needed?

T

thecarpetsnake

Audiophyte
Hi

I have this old sanyo stereo that I'd love to hook some speakers up to.

Only problem is I have no idea what type of jack is required for the speakers - as a member of Gen Y it's not a type I've ever seen before!

So, two questions:
- What type of connection/jack is this?
- Will I need to get speakers that have this type of jack, or are there adapators available so that I can use more modern speakers?

Any help will be massively appreciated.

Cheers
Kieran

T

thecarpetsnake

Audiophyte
Hi

I have this old sanyo stereo that I'd love to hook some speakers up to.

Only problem is I have no idea what type of jack is required for the speakers - as a member of Gen Y it's not a type I've ever seen before!

So, two questions:
- What type of connection/jack is this?
- Will I need to get speakers that have this type of jack, or are there adapators available so that I can use more modern speakers?

Any help will be massively appreciated.

Cheers
Kieran
Forgot to add that the forum won't let me put up a picture of the connection, but the unit has a serial number OC-620xk.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Perhaps an RCA jack but without a picture it's pretty much impossible to answer your question.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Would that be DC-620xk?
It must be DC on not OC his model number does not exist.

So this is what he must have.

Your instruction manual is too big too attach. You can download the manual here if you register with Hi-Fi engine, or you can PM me with your Email and I will send you a copy.

I'm familiar with those plugs, they were common in the 50s 60 and early 70s, and I think in WW2 and prior. I have idea where you would find them now except eBay possibly. This old man's memory can not remember the name of them, but I remember them well and they were very common on UK gear especially. If I can jog my memory I will let you know.

The user manual is only 7 pages long, and yet contains a full circuit manual. Those were the days!

There are ICs and the unit and it is an old Quadraphonic unit. This dates it to sometime between 1972 to 1974 I suspect. That Quad system was short lived and a failure. I do have some of those Quadraphonic LPs and I think a reel to reel tape or two.

How complete is that unit? It is a real curio. It is not a high end unit, as the turntable is very down market and the unit designed for a crystal cartridge.

I suspect to attach speakers the unit will have to be modified unfortunately, but I will see if the name of those four pin loges and sockets comes to me.

This is what you need for the fronts. It is an Amphenol Cooper four pin plug.

I have found that you can get them here.

This is your rear speaker plugs. It is a UK 5 amp plug.

Last edited:
Z

Zefaceo

Audiophyte
Forgot to add that the forum won't let me put up a picture of the connection, but the unit has a serial number OC-620xk.
Hi there! I have exactly the same problem. Can I ask how did you finally solve it?

Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis