Old Quality or New Tech

M

Michael Fisher

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of floorstanding speakers and have come across a slight dilema. What is better, a quality old speaker, example is a Spendor A6, original cost around £2,000, so about $4,000 ;-) Ok, so I'm English, someone has to be. Or a newer tech speakers in the shape of a Tannoy Revolution XT6F. Both speakers are similar price, second hand Spendor around £800 with the XT6F's around £900. Sorry for the GBP's.
Which speaker would we go for and why?
Looking forward to any responses.
Mike.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you auditioned both?

More expensive doesn't always mean better sound.

M

Michael Fisher

Audiophyte
Hi, No nothing auditioned yet. At the moment I have Monitor Audio BR5's, which I wanted to upgrade. There are sooo many options if I want to spend between $1,000 and $1,500, which is why I wondered about second hand quality speakers against brand new. Any suggestions are always welcome.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
When buying used you cannot equate the price of a used speaker with a new speaker. A lot depends on the consumer demand of used speakers and one cannot automatically assume one will sound "better" than another.

For that, you MUST listen and make your own personal exvaluation.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, No nothing auditioned yet. At the moment I have Monitor Audio BR5's, which I wanted to upgrade. There are sooo many options if I want to spend between $1,000 and $1,500, which is why I wondered about second hand quality speakers against brand new. Any suggestions are always welcome.
As long as the pre-owned speakers are in great condition and sound great, then they are great. A lot of people are completely happy with used speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of floorstanding speakers and have come across a slight dilema. What is better, a quality old speaker, example is a Spendor A6, original cost around £2,000, so about $4,000 ;-) Ok, so I'm English, someone has to be. Or a newer tech speakers in the shape of a Tannoy Revolution XT6F. Both speakers are similar price, second hand Spendor around £800 with the XT6F's around £900. Sorry for the GBP's.
Which speaker would we go for and why?
Looking forward to any responses.
Mike.
It is no contest. The Spendor is by far the best bet. Of any manufacturer, I would say that Spendor has consistently made the most consistent and well balanced speakers. I have never heard a bad Spendor speaker, and I can't say that about any other manufacturer.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I really like the newer Tannoys. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis