Old plug replacement question?

U

Unregistered

I have an older audio system and the plugs that came with the system are the normal silver plugs. I heard over time the silver plugs loose performance and so I want to upgrade to a gold plated plug. I am wondering to get the sound quality back to where it is suppose to be, do I have to cut off the old plug and connect another or will something like this do just as well? http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_007_002_001_004&product_id=274-915

Thank you very much for the help.

J

joelincoln

Junior Audioholic
I assume you are talking about the standard RCA audio cables that interconnect your components... right?

If so, You'd want to replace the entire cable. Don't cut off the connector and don't buy that adapter.

However, depending on the original quality of your system and the current condition of your cables, you may not hear any improvement whatsoever.

Are your cable connectors noticeably corroded? Are the cables stiff and brittle?

U

Unregistered

That is a very very interesting question, how do I know if my connectors are corroded? Is there a visual sign that they are and if not how do I know?

Thanks again.

J

joelincoln

Junior Audioholic
Depending on the true makeup of your cables, there could be a powdery haze over the metal. Or there may be some discoloration.

How old is the system? Has it been kept in a reasonably dry environment?

If your only concern is improving the interface between the connector and receptacle, I'd say that simply switching to gold from silver will not do much. The real difference is in the quality of the cable's design and materials. Are the receptacle connectors on the equipment gold plated already?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis