Old Marantz Receiver and Graphic Equalizer Question(s) Please Advise :D

F

Fallen

Audiophyte
Hi Guys! (First Post)

***Please Note: Skip to after the two provided links to read a condensed version w/o the prelude***

I picked up an old Marantz SR19EX receiver at an estate sale for free. It wasn't working so I brought it to a Marantz authorized repair guy who made it work for only $160.00. I'm thrilled!

I just got done finding and modifying replacement drivers for my brother's old fisher tsv 724 speakers which has a 3" tweeter, 4" mid, and a 15" sub. When I was a kid I pushed in the little silver hats and boy did he beat my ***. Well That was nearly 18 years ago, and I replaced the drivers, and modified the brackets so they would fit super nice. Also upgraded the speaker wire on the inside w/ 14gauge ofc, and changed the old crappy binding posts to premium bananas.

I was so happy with the way the speakers sounded I found an ebay auction for another pair of fisher tsv 724 speakers so I bought them up and modified them in the same way.

So now I have 4 speakers hooked up to my Marantz amp and they sound good except for one thing. The 15" sub doesn't knock unless I crank the volume up high; which I do enjoy doing, but sometimes my girlfriend wants to watch tv in the other room without me shaking the whole house. I remember my brother had the speakers hooked up to a fisher stereo rack which had an external graphic equalizer.

I managed to snag two Marantz EQ551 at another estate sale for only 100 dollars for both. I figured since the receiver I have has pre-outs and main-ins on each of the channels I would be able to equalize both my front and rear speakers by using the pre-outs and main-ins for the front and rear however, I have ran into a problem... I cannot seem to get it to work; moreover, I can't even get a single equalizer to work at all. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

I read up about it, and it seems that I would use the tape loop thinger if my receiver didn't have pre-out and main-in, but it does have those, and one for each channel. Please see the following link to peak at the rear of my receiver.

I'm running left and right audio from pre-out on the receiver to the left and right audio line-in on the eq, and left and right audio from the line out on the eq, to the left and right audio main-in on the receiver; not rocket science...

http://webzine.sorishop.co.kr/board/old_goods/upload/old_goods_40_2062_2.jpg
(My Receiver)

http://images02.olx.com.ua/ui/11/39/72/1305016475_86703772_3--Marantz-EQ-551-.jpg
(My Graphic EQ)

In short: (READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THE PRELUDE/EXPLANATION BLURB)
I have a Marantz SR19EX Receiver and two Marantz EQ551 Graphic Equalizers; I want to EQ my front and rear speakers utilizing the pre-out/main-in (receiver) line-in/line-out (equalizer) so I can get my 15" sub inside the towers to knock w/o making my girlfriend scream expletives across the house directing me to lower the volume. Above are two links which show the rears of my equipment.

Please advise...

PS: I spoke w/ Marantz tech support and my Marantz repair guy and they both seem to think that I should be able to do this w/o a problem so before I d/c everything and bring the receiver and eq to the repair man to look at it, I figured I'd ask the real professionals... :)

PPS: I don't think it matters, but I'm running 5 channel stereo; also my input is coming from opticals either from my fios hd set top box or my audio card from my home theater pc.

Any help or advise or feedback would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis