Old high end SACD player.

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Are there deals to be had on older high end SACD players?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sure, what are your requirements? Do you want a single disc or changer? Do you need native DSD decoding for output over analog or would you prefer to use HDMI and allow your receiver to handle the DSD decoding?

The best way to get good SACD playback cheap for you I believe would be to get a DVD/SACD player that has HDMI.

Example - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Elite-DV-46AV-DVD-Player-Super-Audio-DivX-HDMI-GREAT-UNIT-/141844784938?hash=item21069ba72a:g:vm8AAOSwv-NWYdIn

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
No requirements really. Inexpensive I guess. Under $150 maybe. I dunno.

I'll prob hook up via TOS

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord

I'm pretty sure you can't send SACD through toslink, or digital coax for that matter. AFAIR, it takes discrete analog audio or, with some receivers and players, HDMI.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

Toslink (or any other SPDIF) does not support SACD. SPDIF only handles 2 channel PCM, legacy DTS and legacy Dolby Digital formats.

As @markw says you would need to use analog output from the player or HDMI to the receiver.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well then I guess the best you can do is check ebay, craigslist and whatever sources you have available. It's not like used stuff has some sort of central registry for what's on sale.

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Well then I guess the best you can do is check ebay, craigslist and whatever sources you have available. It's not like used stuff has some sort of central registry for what's on sale.
Are there particular models to look for that where top o the line in their day?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Can't say enough of the OPPO DV-980H(No Bluray). On Ebay/Craigslist for $100-150. I use mine for SACD/DVD-Audio

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Since the odds of finding ANY are slim to none, let us know what you find. We'll respond from there.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sony SCD1 or scd777es. If you can get one, you definitely have a slice of audio nirvana.
I see two problems with that. One, I doubt he could even find a broken SCD1 or SCD777ES for $150. Two, good luck finding one that works. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm unclear what you want. SACD players have only been around for 15 years.

Most are universal disc players, in other words video players as well as audio. So they need to be connected to a screen at least for set up.

If you want an stand alone CD/SACD audio only player, that gets you into esoteric territory and you will not do it on your budget.

If you don't mind a universal player they a two a penny on eBay with lots in your budget.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sony DVP-S9000ES is commonly found on eBay these days. I bought mine back in 1999. It is used almost daily. I did need to replace laser for SACD playback about a year ago. The unit is not as universal as today's universal players. It will not play CD-R's; but, it is magnificent for 2 channel SACD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis