Old CD players 80's to early 90's Thread.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I didnt know this, it was a good thing to find it out. Thanks. Maybe its not coincidence that the best players Sony made were during the exact same period.
Did some search and found some nice article about him and Sony on google books (unfortunately it seems that I cannot post the link here)
Not a coincidence at all. Not the remotest chance.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Primitive or not, Roger Lagadec was the technical director of Sony from 1986 to 1994. He was head digital engineer of Studer Revox before that. He is an audio giant and is a past governor of AES.

He did the lions share of the work in the development of the CD.

How do you know this? From what I've read, the ground work for the Red Book was largely done by Phillips. Also, senior executives don't have time for detailed specification or engineering work. They may be decision makers and ratifiers, but developing engineering specifications is tedious, full-time work. Individual contributors do it. On second thought, I'm not sure what a "technical director" is in this context. At some companies a technical director is a senior executive responsible for running a research group or a development group, while at other companies (Broadcom, to name one), a technical director is a senior engineer of some sort.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

How do you know this? From what I've read, the ground work for the Red Book was largely done by Phillips. Also, senior executives don't have time to detailed specification or engineering work. They may be decision makers and ratifiers, but developing engineering specifications is tedious, full-time work. Individual contributors do it. On second thought, I'm not sure what a "technical director" is in this context. At some companies a technical director is a senior executive responsible for running a research group or a development group, while at other companies (Broadcom, to name one), a technical director is a senior engineer of some sort.
You have to understand how things were in Europe back in those days. The Philips and Studer organizations were very close by. In Europe in that era it was common for firms to work cooperatively ans share resources including staff. This was just the case with Roger Lagadec. He was one of the driving force engineers behind the development of the CD and all its aspects. As you know, Philips and Sony were co developers of the CD, and that his how Sony became aware of the genius that is Roger Lagadec. He has made so many contributions that it is dizzying. He is a very eminent and revered engineer.

By the way, that engineer of some sort at Broadcom is my son.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't have my first or even second CD player from 80's and 90's; but, I am still using a pair of Sony PCM-7010F DAT recorders from the early 90's. They do have a "sound" which I perceive as being better than anything else I have heard.
24641850610_4da97510b2_z.jpg

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I had one of those jukebox type 300 disc CD players. When those things break they are useless. Stick with single-disc tech. The KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid) tech in this case is best.

W

wag12

Enthusiast
CD player similarities

I have also noted this similarity within the Sony models. From what I have been able to glean from the Web, the famous Sony CDP-555ESD (1987) had the same major components on the PCB as my CDP-950. So far I've confirmed the CXA1081 RF Amp, CXD1125 DSP, CXD1088 4x oversampling digital filter, JRC NE5532 op amps, and of course the TDA1541 DAC. The 950 lacks the LC6523H-3446 error prediction IC and assoc circuity, but this could be added to the 950 if I thought the cost was worth it (probably about $50-60 in parts). Naturally the chassis and disc drawer are much more robust in the 555 (metal instead of plastic) to warrant it's additional cost.
The only difference between the 950 and it's sister CDP-307ESD is the above-mentioned EP IC, as they use the same PCB, those parts just missing on mine (my service manual covers the two models). Otherwise their functionality and appearance are identical, as per photos posted on the Web of the interior and exterior of both units.
Another well-regarded unit that utilizes some of the same componentry is the Adcom GCD-575 (1988): the TDA1541, KSS150A laser and CXD1088 Digital filter. Their list of features is almost a copy of the 950's, with a few additions of their own: a polarity switch and reversible feet with "iso-points".
Don't know if you still are active here but I came across your 10 year old post here after buying a CDP-307ESD for $120 on Ebay recently. I have a Sony CDP-605ESD which I still use to play my CDs as I haven't found any other CD player that sounds as good. Although it still works fine, I was getting a little worried about it because of it's age. So I was looking for a good back up player that uses similar chips to my CDP-605ESD. I found the 307ESD uses the TDA1541A and CDX1088A while the 605ESD uses the TDA 1541 and CDX1088 so I thought they should sound quite similar. The main difference between the two is the 307ESD uses the KSS-150A laser and the 605ESD uses the BU-1E. Even though they say the quality of the Chinese made laser replacements isn't very good and it is sort of a hit a miss if you are going to get a good one, at least there is one for the KSS-150A available for $25. There are no Chinese replacements for the BU-1E and the original Sony ones sell for around $300 on Ebay. But I agree with you about the sound quality of these old Sony CD players being the best I have heard; I have to admit I haven't listened to any new CD players that cost more than $500. Since the 307ESD uses the TDA1541A chip, perhaps it may sound even better than my 605ESD but I doubt if the difference will be enough to be noticeable. The 307ESD should be arriving tomorrow; I just wanted to get some input from others as to whether they were able to notice any differences in the sound quality between the TDA1541A and the TDA1541.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, old thread that I didn't know existed. I have a 5 CD changer that my son gave me a few years ago after the Onkyo single disk player I'd bought in 1989 finally failed. It's a Sony CDP-CE505, I think. Sound really good when I use it, but been about 2 years. When I got the Bluesound Vault 2, the CD player became obsolete.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
If you want to, you can post your old tank CD players here and give a description, history, or pictures if you can.

I don't know why I like these old buggers so much, they just make me happy. My particular cup-o'-tea are Philips and Magnavox players of the 80's. I have owned 3 of them and still have 2. I have a Magnavox CDB 560 and a CDB 650. I just think that they are cool, and I think they sound good. And when you can get one for less than 20 bucks, why the hell not.

Both of mine are Belgium made and weigh in the 15-20 pound viscinity. They have aluminum extruded heat sinks and Coax SPDIF output on the rear. So if you want to use them as a transport, you can. Speaking of the transport, it is a swing arm instead of the cheapy linear tracking devices they use in everything. I believe they use glass instead of plastic lenses for the laser assembely. And another cool thing is they are almost completely gear driven, so belts aren't a major issue here.

I just finished listening to Aimee Mann, off the Magnolia soundtrack. I had chills, it was awesome.:)

Reference stuff: NHT 1.5s, Magnavox CDB 650, Magnavox MX931-Pro crap receiver, RCA/Tandy 12" crap ported sub, but I plug the port so as not to hear boomy crappiness.:D
I bought a Magnavox FD 1000 back in the 80s when CD players first came out. Even back then it cost close to a grand. Still it was a sweet sounding reliable machine that I kept into the 90s. Fast forward to today and I'm on my 3rd or 4th player a NAD 516BEE player which I'm happy with. But that Magnavox was cool.
Dave

W

wag12

Enthusiast
I bought a Magnavox FD 1000 back in the 80s when CD players first came out. Even back then it cost close to a grand. Still it was a sweet sounding reliable machine that I kept into the 90s. Fast forward to today and I'm on my 3rd or 4th player a NAD 516BEE player which I'm happy with. But that Magnavox was cool.
Dave
DAVE, I still have my Sony CDP-605ESD and it is still going strong after all of these years; all I ever had to do was change the two belts last year; it weighs 18 lbs; they definitely don't make them like this any more. I think I'm attracted to heavy things. My CD player weighs 18 lbs, my Denon AVP-8000 Preamp-Tuner weighs 30 lbs, and my Onkyo M-504 amplifier weighs 50 lbs. I noticed you were using NHT speakers and a Tandy 12" sub; I also am using NHT SB-3 speakers with radio Shack PRO-SW200P 12" sub and am very happy with the sound.
Here is a picture of mine:
SONY CDP985Va 005.jpg

W

wag12

Enthusiast
Wow, old thread that I didn't know existed. I have a 5 CD changer that my son gave me a few years ago after the Onkyo single disk player I'd bought in 1989 finally failed. It's a , I think. Sound really good when I use it, but been about 2 years. When I got the Bluesound Vault 2, the CD player became obsolete.
Ken so what finally failed on your Sony CDP-505?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Ken so what finally failed on your Sony CDP-505?
Nothing failed in that one! It still works just fine. It was my Onkyo CD7400 that conked out. I ran out of places to bring it to be fixed.

EDIT: This got me curious so I just went and checked it out. It's in my rack with the stuff I do use. but I as I said I haven't used in it in a couple years. I had to plug it into a power strip that works. It is a CDP-CE500 and still works perfect. I use the optical output to my NAD T758 receiver, because I figure the DAC in that is at least 15 years newer than the one in the Sony. Sounds great. In fact it sounds EXACTLY like the files I play from my Bluesound Vault 2's library except with that I don't have to dig up the CD's. :)

Last edited:
W

wag12

Enthusiast
@mentorron, do you still have your Sony 950? I got one last month, I was searching for some info and found this old thread. I got it almost for free from someone who didn't know what to do with it. I didn't really need it but I was afraid it will end up in the dumpster and kind of liked the look of it.
As I already own some players, namely a Marantz cd6005, a sacd Pioneer PD-D9 and a Naim dac, after I got it I left it unused for a few days as I was sure it could not compete with my newer players. Then I decided I give it a shot and it turned out to be a real shock. At first I didn't know what the hell is going on, I wasn't ready for it, everything sounded so alive, so present, kind of scary. After almost a week of listening to the Sony I tried to listen back to the other players and that was a shock again as I found them to sound somehow tiny, plasticky, brightly almost to unbearable. The Naim dac did a little better, but I couldn't shake a kind of cheapo sounding feeling compared to the Sony.
The thing works great, it reads everything instantly, its like it reads cds even before the tray closes completely. I'm trying to find some explanations...could it be the transport in it, the tda1541, maybe the servo system? I don't know, but this player amazes me with each day.
Kraft, I'm trying to get my posts up to five so they will let me post links so I'll chime in on what you said about your Sony 950 as I feel the same way about my Sony CDP-605ES; it really does sound amazing and that's why I'm still using it after all of these years; can't find anything that sounds better. It must have something to do with them both using TDA1541 and CXD1088 chips although the 950 uses the a version TDA1541A and CXD1088A which might sound even better. Also they both came out around the same time in the late 1980's and Sony was using high quality components in their ES models back then. Although not designated as ES, the 950 is suppose to almost identical internally to the CDP-307ES and uses the same circuit board and chips.

W

wag12

Enthusiast
I didnt know this, it was a good thing to find it out. Thanks. Maybe its not coincidence that the best players Sony made were during the exact same period.
Did some search and found some nice article about him and Sony on google books (unfortunately it seems that I cannot post the link here)
Kraft, new like you and can't post a link but they say after five posts then you can post links.

W

wag12

Enthusiast
My opinion on the fact that this CDP-950 sounds so great is this:
- one of the key features is the TDA1541 dac, no doubt about it
- secondly, I guess it was expertly implemented, and you can clearly see this studying the PCB layout, which is a work of art, with all those Japanese caps and power regulators
- thirdly, I also think that the transport is a very good one - this is of extreme importance
And finally, it is my opinion that Sony had the best engineers on task in those days when the competition was very high in cd players field. I dont think that the engineers of today dealing with mid level gear are at that level anymore.
I just bought a Sony CDP-307ES on Ebay for $120 as a back up to my Sony CDP-605ESD. It is suppose to be almost the same internally as your 950. it will be interesting to see If I can notice any difference between it and my CDP-605ESD as the CDP-307ES uses the A version of the TD1541 chip.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kraft, I'm trying to get my posts up to five so they will let me post links so I'll chime in on what you said about your Sony 950 as I feel the same way about my Sony CDP-605ES; it really does sound amazing and that's why I'm still using it after all of these years; can't find anything that sounds better. It must have something to do with them both using TDA1541 and CXD1088 chips although the 950 uses the a version TDA1541A and CXD1088A which might sound even better. Also they both came out around the same time in the late 1980's and Sony was using high quality components in their ES models back then. Although not designated as ES, the 950 is suppose to almost identical internally to the CDP-307ES and uses the same circuit board and chips.
There are many dac choices unless that unit has only analog ouput....

W

wag12

Enthusiast
I found a good review here on the Sony CDP-605ESD which uses almost the same chips a your 950 only not the A version:
http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/sony-cdp-605esd-125.html

W

wag12

Enthusiast
Kraft, it worked after I had posted five replies then I was able to post my links. So if you want to post your link about the article you found about Roger Lagadec, just go ahead and make 2 more replies to my posts to you and then you should be able to post that link as it looks like you already have three posts here.

W

wag12

Enthusiast
Nothing failed in that one! It still works just fine. It was my Onkyo CD7400 that conked out. I ran out of places to bring it to be fixed.

EDIT: This got me curious so I just went and checked it out. It's in my rack with the stuff I do use. but I as I said I haven't used in it in a couple years. I had to plug it into a power strip that works. It is a CDP-CE500 and still works perfect. I use the optical output to my NAD T758 receiver, because I figure the DAC in that is at least 15 years newer than the one in the Sony. Sounds great. In fact it sounds EXACTLY like the files I play from my Bluesound Vault 2's library except with that I don't have to dig up the CD's. :)
That is great news, those old Sony's seem to be very reliable; they don't make them like that anymore.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis