OK to squeeze copper wire into banana plug?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Bought wire already. Intend to use it. I respect your opinion. But I am determined to do it this way.

Can anybody here recommend a good quality "deep barrel" banana that will accept an 8 AWG wire?
If you're determined to do it that way.
I would get a pair of wire strippers and cut away a few strands from each wire until they fit.
Since that amount of wire is overkill, a few missing strands won't make a difference.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I really don't think you know what bi-wiring is.

I don't WANT an 8 gauge wire per se, It's just that I have just selected wire that is four 14 gauge wires, meant to twist 2 together for the negative and 2 together for the positive....but I am biwiring my speakers and that will give me 4 wires for the negative and 4 wires for the positive on the receiver end. It's What Hi Fi Sound and Vision's speaker wire product of the year for 2012 and 2013 and relatively inexpensive so I am doing it. Please don't try talking me out of it unless you are fairly certain I will have disastrous results. I just need assistance in finding good quality banana plugs that will take the equivalent of an 8 AWG wire, preferably ones with a deep barrel for getting a lot of wire into it. Right now I am considering Analysis Plus Big BFA Banana, at least on the receiver end. Analysis Plus
the bolded part is totally bogus.

To make a bi-wire cable you need two cables, with one negative and one positive wire each.

See THIS link. Read it. Comprehend it. I applaud with the way they explain accomplishing it but have strong doubts about their opinion of the results. Many disagree, as do I.

One wire from each cable (that's two wires per banana plug) goes to one terminal on the receiver end. This is done for both positive and negative terminals. That's two wires per banana plug, not four.

Then, on the speaker side, one cable goes to the high speaker and one to the low speaker. That's one wire per banana plug.

If this doesn't get the point across, have at it.

Last edited:
T

twochordcool

Junior Audioholic
the bolded part is totally bogus.

To make a bi-wire cable you need two cables, with one negative and one positive wire each.

See THIS link. Read it. Comprehend it. I applaud with the way they explain accomplishing it but have strong doubts about their opinion of the results. Many disagree, as do I.

One wire from each cable (that's two wires per banana plug) goes to one terminal on the receiver end. This is done for both positive and negative terminals. That's two wires per banana plug, not four.

Then, on the speaker side, one cable goes to the high speaker and one to the low speaker. That's one wire per banana plug.

If this doesn't get the point across, have at it.

Hopefully soon we will get past what I am trying to do or what I want to do and whether or not you disagree with doing it that way...and give me the information I actually seek.

I'm doing a double run of Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4 per speaker.

NORMALLY the way this wire is used is ONE 14/4 cable - twisting two wires together for positive and two wires together for negative for full range use.

I have decide to do an external biwire with double runs, which amounts to two 14/4 cables...making it 14/8.

I am twisting 2 wires together for the tweeter positive, two wires together for the tweeter negative, two wires together for the mid positive and two wires together for the mid negative -

That gives me four 14 gauge wires for positive at the receiver end and four 14 gauge wires for negative at the receiver end.

I'm doing this because I want to biwire and I'm not satisfied with one 14 gauge wire for each (tweeter positive / negative, midrange positive / negative) on the speaker end with only one 14/4 cable.

Can we get past this now and talk big bananas / BFA's?!

;)

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hopefully soon we will get past what I am trying to do or what I want to do and whether or not you disagree with doing it that way...and give me the information I actually seek.

I'm doing a double run of Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4 per speaker.

NORMALLY the way this wire is used is ONE 14/4 cable - twisting two wires together for positive and two wires together for negative for full range use.

I have decide to do an external biwire with double runs, which amounts to two 14/4 cables...making it 14/8.

I am twisting 2 wires together for the tweeter positive, two wires together for the tweeter negative, two wires together for the mid positive and two wires together for the mid negative -

That gives me four 14 gauge wires for positive at the receiver end and four 14 gauge wires for negative at the receiver end.

I'm doing this because I want to biwire and I'm not satisfied with one 14 gauge wire for each (tweeter positive / negative, midrange positive / negative) on the speaker end with only one 14/4 cable.

Can we get past this now and talk big bananas / BFA's?!

;)
You were already linked a pair that can accept 8 gauge wire. What else is there to talk about, except the scientific ways in which this is A) not necessary B) overkill C) will yield zero benefit?

Let me google that for you

;)<style id="pageBrightnessCustomCSS">body{zoom:165%;}</style>

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You were already linked a pair that can accept 8 gauge wire. What else is there to talk about, except the scientific ways in which this is A) not necessary B) overkill C) will yield zero benefit?

Let me google that for you

;) <STYLE id=pageBrightnessCustomCSS>body{zoom:165%;}</STYLE>
Actually, two if he even bothered to open the link in my previous post.

The potato goes in the front.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis