OK to squeeze copper wire into banana plug?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
To your orignal question, no, you won't have any issues if you squeeze the jacket on the cable a bit. There is still the proper gauge inside and you will be fine.

Also, be sure not to run the wire you have inside of walls, it is not rated for in-wall use. All in-wall cables must have an exterior jacket on it.

I will say that I've used this type of banana plug and I don't like them at all. I looked at the Sewell stuff and I'm just not overly impressed with what I've seen.

This is what I like most: Nakamichi plugs 0534B, Nakamichi connectors, banana plug, RCA plug, Nakamichiplug.com , Nakamichi Audio Speaker Banana Plug connector, Nakamichi plug, Nakamichi connector

They provide a double set-screw type connection which completely locks the wire in securely and easily with a shielded shell which helps to prevent shorts. Very easy and very secure at the right price.

You don't like Sewell? Those look like re-branded Sewell Silverbacks to me??? These also have the double set screws. I'm probably gonna remove my outer casing and replace with red and black heat shrink to lose some of the bulk and make a slicker termination.
Amazon.com: Sewell Silverback Banana Plugs, Dual Screw Lock, 2 pair: Electronics

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You don't like Sewell? Those look like re-branded Sewell Silverbacks to me??? These also have the double set screws. I'm probably gonna remove my outer casing and replace with red and black heat shrink to lose some of the bulk and make a slicker termination.
Amazon.com: Sewell Silverback Banana Plugs, Dual Screw Lock, 2 pair: Electronics
Sewells are the knockoffs in this case, AFAIK. :) GLS, Sewell, etc... are all basically knockoffs of something else by a large mass-production shop, possibly the same one.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
To the OP, just to be clear on the matter. The goal here is to clamp down on, or "smush" the copper wire with the set screws in the banana plugs. That is where the connection must be secure. It just seemed to me that maybe you are trying to clamp down on the insulation instead. Just be sure the wire is secure and no "whiskers" of strands of copper are sticking out, and you should be good to go.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the GLS and Swells and even the PE ones all appear to be the same, though the quality on the PE ones seems to be a bit better because I've bought both. I haven't tried the Sewells because they look just like the GLS.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I was mistaken, my plugs are double screw, I got confused because they are on the same side, where I thought the Nakamichis looked like they had them on opposite sides or something. Anyway, it's all good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Was looking at Monster's site just to see what it said and it looks like they don't specify the material of the connector explicitly. The only mention is about the leaf spring which is beryllium copper (also known as beryllium brass) so I am guessing that is what most or all connectors are made of.

Beryllium copper (BeCu), also known as copper beryllium, beryllium bronze and spring copper, is a copper alloy with 0.5—3% beryllium and sometimes with other alloying elements. Beryllium copper combines high strength with non-magnetic and non-sparking qualities. It has excellent metalworking, forming and machining qualities. It has many specialized applications in tools for hazardous environments, musical instruments, precision measurement devices, bullets, and aerospace. Beryllium-containing alloys create an inhalation hazard during manufacturing due to their toxic properties.

T

twochordcool

Junior Audioholic
I use those Nakamichi ones (except the BFA style) also for my surrounds and other systems and I do like them. Bought a bunch in bulk and they were very inexpensive and they work great. The sleeves do loosen once in a while, but that does not affect the attachment of the wire. In bulk they were around $0.70/ea.

Hello my friends. I am getting ready to build speaker cables for my rear speakers in a home theater. I a biwiring them so the wire size at the receiver will be 8 awg.

Two questions -

Will these accommodate 8 awg wire?

And

How "deep" can I get the wire to go into these "barrels"?

I will be twisting four 14 awg wires together at the receiver end so I am hoping to get banana plugs that will allow the wire to go deep into the barrel before crimping or being screwed down.

Thanks

T

twochordcool

Junior Audioholic
One last question:

Are crimp type bananas or bfa's just as good as the screw down type? I'd rather not mess around with soldering.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hello my friends. I am getting ready to build speaker cables for my rear speakers in a home theater. I a biwiring them so the wire size at the receiver will be 8 awg.

Two questions -

And

I will be twisting four 14 awg wires together at the receiver end so I am hoping to get banana plugs that will allow the wire to go deep into the barrel before crimping or being screwed down.
The bolded statement are a bit contradictory. Two 14 gauge wires (two pairs) combined makes one 11 gauge wire. This is what one would expect when making biwire cables.

Are you actually combining FOUR pairs of wires at the receiver end? THAT would result in an eight gauge equivalent.

As for what they can accept, what does your google search turn up on them? Are these your connectors?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The two fit with a little bit of room but I doubt you'll be able to get four in there.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Two questions -

And

Thanks
Why do you want an 8 awg wire?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"The heart wants what the heart wants." - Allan Stewart Konigsberg

Personally, I see it akin to putting a potato in ones pants. It only fools those who don't know the truth. Those that do, snicker.

T

twochordcool

Junior Audioholic
I don't WANT an 8 gauge wire per se, It's just that I have just selected wire that is four 14 gauge wires, meant to twist 2 together for the negative and 2 together for the positive....but I am biwiring my speakers and that will give me 4 wires for the negative and 4 wires for the positive on the receiver end. It's What Hi Fi Sound and Vision's speaker wire product of the year for 2012 and 2013 and relatively inexpensive so I am doing it. Please don't try talking me out of it unless you are fairly certain I will have disastrous results. I just need assistance in finding good quality banana plugs that will take the equivalent of an 8 AWG wire, preferably ones with a deep barrel for getting a lot of wire into it. Right now I am considering Analysis Plus Big BFA Banana, at least on the receiver end. Analysis Plus

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Do some more research on biwiring. It is nothing more than a waste of wire. You will get exactly the same effect (none) by using that AWG of wire.

T

twochordcool

Junior Audioholic
Bought wire already. Intend to use it. I respect your opinion. But I am determined to do it this way.

Can anybody here recommend a good quality "deep barrel" banana that will accept an 8 AWG wire?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis