A

atkpilot

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha R-S700 Receiver. I just bought a pair of Vienna Acoustics Haydn speakers, 6 ohm. I also have JBL L-112s
(I know pretty ancient, but I love them), 8 ohms. I don't know which setting to use on the R-S700 Receiver - High or Low. I want to run them simultaneously. The manual does not address this, except it says to use the low if you use A and B simultaneously, but the impedance of each speaker must be 8 ohms or higher?!! I have read some technical info about speaker ohms, but it left me more confused than ever. Maybe, it doesn't matter. Any help is appreciated!!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
When reading that link, keep in mind that when you're running those two speakers simultaneously, you're putting a 2.7 ohm load on that receiver.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Using the A & B speaker selections of an AVR or receiver is electrically attaching two left speakers in parallel and two right channel speakers in parallel. The parallel impedance seen by each channel is 3.42 ohms nominally but will certainly dip lower as frequencies change.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Chances are you're going to burn out your receiver by running A and B speakers at the same time. I am not saying you will for sure but it's a good chance that you will. When you see smoke coming from Receiver turn off ASAP.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The parallel impedance seen by each channel is 3.42 ohms nominally but will certainly dip lower as frequencies change.
Mea culpa. My math was off. I calculated the second speaker at 4 ohms, not 6.

A

atkpilot

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. Funny that Pyrro put that link in, that is the site that just confused me! I don't know enough about electrical theory to understand all the information presented. I sent yamaha a request with the same question. I will let all know what they say. these Hadyn's are pretty robust. And from what i read, the Yamaha has some pretty good safety features built in.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the replies. Funny that Pyrro put that link in, that is the site that just confused me! I don't know enough about electrical theory to understand all the information presented. I sent yamaha a request with the same question. I will let all know what they say. these Hadyn's are pretty robust. And from what i read, the Yamaha has some pretty good safety features built in.
There is no safety feature that will save you from running things outside their intended use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis